What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

GD “club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmsp

Contributor
Could someone please explain the rationale of shunting all of the discussion about Grooming Dept into the consolidated thread in the “Clubs and Brotherhoods” forum?

Anyone who isn’t “in the know” is never going to find that thread and will just start another in the Soaps forum. I respectfully suggest that that thread be moved to the Shaving Soap forum even if mods think that it’s necessary to consolidate things into a single thread.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for your thoughts Bob. As you realize, the Moderator Team have made the decision to create a Club and move the said content into that area of the site. There is always the possibility that other members will start new threads in Soaps or After Shaves but in time, those threads will be merged into the Club area of B&B.

bobmsp

Contributor
I've looked around at the club area and see that you aren't just picking on GD :001_smile. I realize that my saying this probably won't cause a change in policy, but I think that this practice is not a helpful one. No need to respond unless you wish - I'm just registering my opinion.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Our decisions are based upon the perceived impact on the site as a whole and all of our members. I understand that it may be difficult to grasp from where you are stand, but we have to take many factors into account- any decision will leave some members disappointed and I'm sorry if you are one of those.

Rudy Vey

Contributor
Vendor
Shouldn't the same then applied to the other soap maker as well?? I see quite a bit of discussions about other soaps (M&M, BM, WK, AE etc etc), so whats good for the goose, is good for the gander.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
I am unable to share all of the information which we took into account during the decision-making process Rudy, but there is quite a bit more here than initially meets the eye.

I don’t understand why threads discussing a particular shaving soap brand wouldn’t be located in the Shaving Soaps sub-forum. I didn’t even know the Clubs and Brotherhoods sub-forum existed until yesterday, when I was looking for the thread discussing Grooming Department’s new soap releases, where I had made some comments that I could no longer find.

Esox

I didnt know
Ambassador
I initially didnt understand the rationale behind moving such threads either, it happened to me as well when I was a new member here.

I made a full review of a Stirling soap I had used, only to see, minutes later, that it had been moved to The Stirling Syndicate here that I was unaware of.

I understood the reasoning much better when it occurred to me that maybe everyone doesnt like reading reviews of a certain product over and over again. I explained this very thing to another member in PM today about GD soaps.

Imagine a soap you dont like, lets use Tabac as an example, and opening the soap forum only to see thread upon thread about Tabac. If that was the most prevalent thing I saw, I might not frequent the soap forum very much.

Tabac is popular, for many different reasons. Tabac also has a Brotherhood for that very reason, its popular.

I dont believe any of this is being done as a punishment or to be a detriment to any maker of anything. On the contrary, I see it as a compliment that such a product is so popular and has such a dedicated following.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Contributor
Ambassador
I initially didnt understand the rationale behind moving such threads either, it happened to me as well when I was a new member here.

I made a full review of a Stirling soap I had used, only to see, minutes later, that it had been moved to The Stirling Syndicate here that I was unaware of.

I understood the reasoning much better when it occurred to me that maybe everyone doesnt like reading reviews of a certain product over and over again. I explained this very thing to another member in PM today about GD soaps.

Imagine a soap you dont like, lets use Tabac as an example, and opening the soap forum only to see thread upon thread about Tabac. If that was the most prevalent thing I saw, I might not frequent the soap forum very much.

Tabac is popular, for many different reasons. Tabac also has a Brotherhood for that very reason, its popular.

I dont believe any of this is being done as a punishment or to be a detriment to any maker of anything. On the contrary, I see it as a compliment that such a product is so popular and has such a dedicated following.
Mike, thanks for that.

It occurs to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, most clubs and brotherhoods have been created by members or groups of members. Our BOSC brotherhood would be an example. That seems to me to be fundamentally different from a "club" created for administrative purposes or for similar reasons.

Obviously the owner(s) of a website and/or the moderators can do whatever they decide to do.

It seems to me, and here I'm looking at what you said in your post, there might be other possible solutions to the issue you pose.

I'm not saying the moderators could or should do this, but for instance what about creating a subsection of the shaving soaps forum (in the same way there are subsections to the safety razors section). There could be shaving soaps subsections for the soaps which become popular enough or discussed sufficiently enough to merit or need for administrative purposes to have their own and somewhat sequestered subsection.

As mentioned above there may be moderator level information taken into account during the decision-making process, information "more than initially meets the eye," information not likely to be released to the general forum membership for good reason. All that may be the case, but is it likely, being very far from transparent, to be very well received by all the members especially those involved in conversations which were curtailed by the decision.

Using myself as an example, I had started a thread which was designed to find out which soaps might be as good as or better than Grooming Dept soaps. The thread generated product examples and also gave me food for thought. It was probably not a thread which the maker of Grooming Dept soap would have loved reading nor was it in any sense a GD Fanboy thread. I recognize that the mods have every right to move that thread but by moving it into the club thread the thread was made useless for my purposes.

That is not the end of the world for me, but it is the end of my exploration of the question I was trying to explore with that thread.

I hope what I just wrote isn't taken as a criticism of your post. Rather it's a fumbling attempt to explore something which has already been said to be higher than my pay grade.

In any case, I'm glad to be here and hope to continue having fun and useful conversations with everyone interested in this hobby.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Ambassador
Mike, thanks for that.

It occurs to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, most clubs and brotherhoods have been created by members or groups of members. Our BOSC brotherhood would be an example. That seems to me to be fundamentally different from a "club" created for administrative purposes or for similar reasons.

Obviously the owner(s) of a website and/or the moderators can do whatever they decide to do.

It seems to me, and here I'm looking at what you said in your post, there might be other possible solutions to the issue you pose.

I'm not saying the moderators could or should do this, but for instance what about creating a subsection of the shaving soaps forum (in the same way there are subsections to the safety razors section). There could be shaving soaps subsections for the soaps which become popular enough or discussed sufficiently enough to merit or need for administrative purposes to have their own and somewhat sequestered subsection.

As mentioned above there may be moderator level information taken into account during the decision-making process, information "more than initially meets the eye," information not likely to be released to the general forum membership for good reason. All that may be the case, but is it likely, being very far from transparent, to be very well received by all the members especially those involved in conversations which were curtailed by the decision.

Using myself as an example, I had started a thread which was designed to find out which soaps might be as good as or better than Grooming Dept soaps. The thread generated product examples and also gave me food for thought. It was probably not a thread which the maker of Grooming Dept soap would have loved reading nor was it in any sense a GD Fanboy thread. I recognize that the mods have every right to move that thread but by moving it into the club thread the thread was made useless for my purposes.

That is not the end of the world for me, but it is the end of my exploration of the question I was trying to explore with that thread.

I hope what I just wrote isn't taken as a criticism of your post. Rather it's a fumbling attempt to explore something which has already been said to be higher than my pay grade.

In any case, I'm glad to be here and hope to continue having fun and useful conversations with everyone interested in this hobby.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I dont see you being critical of me, Jim.

Outside of our BOSC group, club, brotherhood, nuthouse, asylum, nervous hospital, training facility, et al. I cant really speak about any others. I have no idea who made them or why.

There is always another solution to any problem, but there is never a single solution that will make everyone happy. Compromises sometimes need to be made.

A soap brotherhood section in the soaps forum could be a possibility, but it depends how many there are. It may end up being too crowded and look like the vendors forum as a subsection to the soap forum. We might end up scrolling a half page just to find the section we're looking for.

I dont envy the Mods job. I've been there and done that on several forums over the years. With the amount of active members on this forum and the number of threads on GD soaps alone, sifting through them and reading them all to find the ones that need, and more importantly to you, do not need merging, would be a pretty big task. Each thread would need to be read and decided upon individually. Thats not a job I'd want! lol

Sometimes its best just to do things, get them done and then start over in the new venue.

You can find it here. It's a subforum under the Shave of the Day,
Are you able to see these posts through “what’s new/new post”
Also, sorry to ask a question that I’m sure was answered, but are all threads referencing a common brand etc being consolidated to a single thread for that brand? As I mentioned the only reason I’m here is for product reviews.

Last edited:
I’m just curious how that impacts google searches. I google often a phrase followed by “badger and blade” to find a list of of applicable topics. It’s usually product driven when I’m looking to make a purchase or if there’s something new etc

Status
Not open for further replies.