What's new

GD 208: Does it have any markings?

I got my Gold Dollar 208 from Razor Emporium today (unboxing vid after dinner) and I wanted to find out if it's supposed to have any distinguishing markings on the blade. I know that there are all sorts of marks that different blades can have, but I am not seeing any on this blade anywhere and I wanted to know if that's typical. Some of the pix that I see various logos.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They should have what the buyer specifies if they order them from the factory. These days they typically have a painted logo/graphics, but it is easily damaged and can be removed by alcohol.

I'd expect to see the model number stamped into the tang. At the minimum, the word CHINA stamped in, as country of origin is required for all products imported for sale.

If you had it honed by Razor Emporium, they may have removed the branding on the blade (acetone will remove it) or the tang (carefully done with a Dremel).
But if they did this, they'd mention it somewhere in the item description.

Legion

Staff member
487CAE3D-A888-4B83-9C21-743395611581.jpeg

I’ve never bought a Gold Dollar from RE. But having honed one I got from Amazon, I’d imagine markings will vary. The 208’s, from what I’ve seen on YouTube, usually have the standard “Gold Dollar” label and logo. Though since RE also re-grinds the blades if needed, it’s possible some of their models end up losing the markings. Just my thoughts.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Those painted Gold Dollar logos on the blade are truly naff. Good job it's not there - saves you taking it off! As for the stamping on the tang, I have a single stabiliser model and it has the stamping.

Another thing I did to mine was to remove the horrid "faux" carbon effect from the scales. Spent about an hour when totally bored in lockdown with W&D paper and metal polish (Solvol). It makes a massive improvement in appearance to my mind with no logo on the blade and plain scales.

My 208 shaves just fine, by the way! I need to re-hone it at moment though cos I 'dinged' it on my cold tap...Doh.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The silk-screened fake etching wipes right off with a rag and acetone. You can also paint a border around the silk screening with fingernail polish or sharpie marker (less dependable but it works if you are meticulous) and applying Ospho or Ferric Chloride or some other etchant, even battery acid or concentrated vinegar, to the design. Two or three applications may be needed. THEN hit it with acetone to remove the paint and you have a REAL blade etch that won't rub off. If you think that might blow your skirt up.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The silk-screened fake etching wipes right off with a rag and acetone. You can also paint a border around the silk screening with fingernail polish or sharpie marker (less dependable but it works if you are meticulous) and applying Ospho or Ferric Chloride or some other etchant, even battery acid or concentrated vinegar, to the design. Two or three applications may be needed. THEN hit it with acetone to remove the paint and you have a REAL blade etch that won't rub off. If you think that might blow your skirt up.
What a great idea. Now I am going to have to try and find another to practice my etching on.

I never would have thought that my little query would have turned into an interesting discussion about blade customizations! Lol!

Incidentally, I just finished my first shave with a half-way decent straight razor and I didn't kill myself! :D

Top Bottom