What's new

GC blade installation/removal

As noted in previous threads, blade installation/removal is a bit more difficult on the GC .84 Jaws compared to the SB which pops on and off with ease. Does anyone know

1) if all the .84 Jaws plates have this issue or is it limited to a single production run?

2) Does the .64 Jaws plate have an extremely tight fit as well?

I have found that there are some excellent blades that do not stick in the GC. Two that I use are the Personna Reds and the Dorco Primes.

I had a .84 GC SB and it fit every blade I tried in it perfectly, however it was a more aggressive razor than I wanted so I traded it for a Mamba. The .68 GC SB I bought a month or two ago has a tighter fit with every blade I've used in it, it's not as if it's actually truly difficult or dangerous to install/remove, but it does require a bit of work vs. the .84 SB I had before. Maybe they are using new tooling or something and that is rhe sligjt difference in tolerances that we're seeing?

I have not noticed that with my .84 or .68 JAWS. They are both like my .68SB. Some blades like the Astra SP fit tighter.

Had the same experience. Feathers have no issue but astra are very snug.
Interesting, the Astra blades are what I primarily use, they fit perfectly on my .84 baseplate but are definitely snug on my .68 baseplate. I'll try some different blades on the .68 and see how they fit, I just received a bunch of new blades so I have lots of options to test.

Last edited:
Interesting, the Astra blades are what I primarily use, they fit perfectly on my .84 baseplate but are definitely snug on my .68 baseplate. I'll try some different blades on the .68 and see how they fit, I just received a bunch of new blades so I have lots of options to test.
No issue on my SB but astras are snug in the .84 jaws plate

No issues for me on my .84 sb or .84 jaws with Astra, Personna blues or Feathers. Might add that the the Jaws and Personna blues are my all time favorite shave!

On both my .84 SB and OC, many blades are so snug that I need to use tweezers to safely remove them. I know this is true with BIC blades, and if I recall correctly also with Nacet's. Personna Reds are no problem.

I use the corner of the top cap to flip up the edge of the blade. Most blades I use come off rather easily but some seem to get stuck for some reason. Other than that, it's a fantastic razor.

looks like things are all over the place depending on blade and, maybe, how much material is removed during finishing. Not a big deal overall.

Top Bottom