What's new

GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
By the time I first saw my Grandfather shaving (He was born 1888) it was the early 1960's and he was using a 3 piece razor that he always had laid out on the bathroom sink on a towel in the mornings. Before the 3 piece he used a Real Old English Razor that I have.
My Dad was a pilot in WWII and the Korean Conflict and always used a Gillette TTO, which I believe was an Aristocrat because it was gold.

Possessing only bench strops intended for kitchen and pocket knives and no stropping skills, this gives hope to me and one of my 0.3μ pieces of lapping film on plastic.
I’ve read a few comments on knives being more difficult than razors for sharpening and honing. And vice versa. I’m learning both at the same time. I find both to be different and interesting. I do not find sharpening either difficult. Jump in Thom the waters fine. Sharpening is fun and relaxing. If you get frustrated it is easy to stop and come back later. Lapping film is very economical and exclusively used by many.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks, John.

Sharpening used to give me much enjoyment, but at a cost time spent in a creepy basement away from family. And then the expense of the abrasives and then the knives that would take the edges I wanted to make. Even now, my toys are geared towards shiny-edged push-cutting (for the thrill of feeling a kitchen knife’s edge drop through a raw white or yellow potato as though it were boiled to mush and the difficult attempt at doing the same with sweet potatoes).

When I was on my game, my edges could whittle arm hair (what little was left), but that seems so long ago.

Thanks, John.

Sharpening used to give me much enjoyment, but at a cost time spent in a creepy basement away from family. And then the expense of the abrasives and then the knives that would take the edges I wanted to make. Even now, my toys are geared towards shiny-edged push-cutting (for the thrill of feeling a kitchen knife’s edge drop through a raw white or yellow potato as though it were boiled to mush and the difficult attempt at doing the same with sweet potatoes).

When I was on my game, my edges could whittle arm hair (what little was left), but that seems so long ago.
Just for fun I put an 8K on my first and only Moritaka Japanese steel knife. A real push cutter, pretty good on arm hair too. I had the stones out for the razors so I couldn’t resist.

BF3183EA-329B-4741-9CE4-D54FA9A3E02E.jpeg

Wednesday March 3
Ten minute tepid shower
Erik Anton Berg - Shark 5/8 - 1/2 hollow
Fatip Gold Grande - Feather
Zenith Horse Hair 28mm x51mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Proraso After Shave Balm Sensitive
Neutrogena Hydro Boost - hydrating serum
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

In the early going transitioning from carts to DE was exciting and confusing. Exciting because going from carts to DE‘s is like living in Disneyland with your shaves. Confusing too many choices. What soap, blade, razor, brush is good comfort and highest efficiency for my shave? I sorted through and locked in a soap, blade and razor which took a year. Refinement of technique went forward at a quicker pace. Locking items in put me in a good place. BBS shaves now a normal shave closeness or quality being the only judgment. Like my fathe-in-law would remind me from time to time. It’s easy when you know how. A nice surprise to me was SR‘s improving my DE shave. I continue to capitalize on skin stretching required with SR shaves. I had not been skin stretching in my DE shaves. I do now. Complacency has a comfort but lacks excitement and challenges.

Straight Razors more than fill the bill in exploration. They dwell in a more lively and complicated rabbit hole. Edge stewardship is the grail of straights. In my limited shaves and experience with straights and DE’s. You can struggle through a DE shave with a dull blade. As SR blades lose their keenness of edge the blade edge tanks considerably quicker than a dulling DE blade. I can not get through a SR shave with a dull blade. Dull SR blades exponentially increase odds of failure.

My recent experiment is shaving an un-stropped blade off the stones. Then stropping it to see if I could determine the differences. Differences turned out to be larger and more significant than expected. Visually with a 10x loupe, big difference and improved shave performance. Another curiosity was whether I could feel the difference in the blade between a stone finish and strop finish. I can not. My straight shave feedback is in degrees of sharp and smooth. The sharp .1 micron paste finished blade I shaved with a couple months ago felt extremely sharp and also slightly harsh. Todays shave blade did not feel as sharp as a .1 paste finish, but a lot smoother. My first attempts using a DE Feather blade was very much the same. Very sharp but harsh. I single use DE Feathers now. Still find them very sharp. I also find them extremely smooth. I do not feel the blade at all. So it must be smooth. I suspect the same dynamics to prevail with straights. Scary sharp edges may feel harsh with poor technique and smoother with good or better technique. All the dudes who use that sharpness say it is very smooth.

My first WTG pass was close and smooth. I stopped the shave and stropped the Shark on cotton, polypropylene, linen and a bovine strop. The second pass (and my first ever XTG SR pass) was a lot smoother and a lot closer. Visually the blade edge looked and shaved smoother. It did not feel any sharper but rather keenness of edge. Not any sharper but a lot smoother. This shave I felt a continued and significant softer touch. At twenty five shaves and zero neck irritation. A lot quicker to comfort than expected with SR’s.

The 5/8 Shark has been my favourite SR blade from it’s first use. The wider blades like my 13/16 EMDE is now my favourite and that was a repetitive thought throughout this shave. I have two Chinese 6/8 blades, full hollows. My SR shaves going forward are going to be with these three razors. So I will continue to explore sharp with hair tests that drive me bonkers but are definitive. I started this journal with three DE razors. Déjà vu all over again.

783083FB-154F-4BBA-BDC3-983DF092BB82.jpeg
36880BE9-B5E7-4DC7-8E86-967F32D08F8C.jpeg
3693015B-B19E-414F-BA1B-FFE74A1EFF2D.jpeg

Wednesday March 10
Ten minute tepid shower
Chinese ZY 6/8 - 1/4 - hollow
Oumo Finest Two Band Badger White Tip Knot 26mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

To nights SR shave continues to be zero neck irritation and close with only fair comfort. I called this razor a 1/2 hollow in my last post, but it is in fact a 1/4 hollow. Why do I get confused with hollows. I included a photo of the twelve hollows available from Koraat’s custom razor‘s. Would not be surprised if more were available. Hollows and blade geometry which I know very little of but enough to lean in a specific direction. I do not care for 1/4 hollows for two reasons. Noise and blade movement or vibration if you like. My DE Grande does not have detectable vibration, and is a very quiet razor. I’m not surprised to have the same preferences in straights.

Third shave on this blade and I still don’t care for it. Chinese blades to me are cheap, in price, quality and build. They are one of the most popular blades for modifications. There are beautiful examples done, unrecognizable from there original appearance and specs. They are probably very good shavers and have a good following. I won’t be on that list. I will take this blade over the 8K and 12k before my next shave with it. I do like this blade for the 6/8 size. At present I am only interested in staying between 6 & 7/8 blades. Size and weight are more comfortable for me. Even a 1/4 hollow noticeably less gyrations and noise than my 5/8- 1/4 hollow Boker King Cutter. Size matters.

At twenty-six SR shaves I’m pleased and surprised at my comfort level. I’m blown away. Specifically SR’s have improved my soft touch which carries through to the DE shave. My BBS shaves are stubble free twelve plus hours with improved skin comfort. A noticeable difference with a weekly shave. I did not do a second SR pass. I did not like the comfort level. I’m on a fulcrum, shave technique vs blade finish. My finished edges do not have the best comfort I’ve experienced. If it’s the same razor it has to be my finishing. My shaves are the best they’ve been while being on the low end of a SR learning curve. I am starting to understand there can be significant differences in the comfort of your finish. I guess that’s why I have seven stones and counting. Sharp is good but without comfort sucks. On my shave enjoyment meter I’m at twelve out of ten. Couldn’t be better and having the most fun on my shaving journey. I do plan on shortening my duration between shaves. Sorting through the three larger blades will bring me closer to my preferences with SR blades. I’m on a very steep curve for finishing edges but each effort improves. All improvements bringing more comfort. I continue to plan and make changes in my shave while maintaining and enjoying great comfort. Holding the gains.

95ADD357-929B-498F-ABC2-0569B667A98B.jpeg
45B716DB-24CD-4B56-958B-2E4BF6D0E250.jpeg

Edit note: My apologies on describing and referring to the hollows incorrectly. This is not the first time I’ve done this. I keep getting it backwards. I need to stop and remember Wedges are the quietest and quarter hollows the next quietest. The quarter hollows I refer to in this post are full hollows. All quarter hollow references and the blade description are in fact Full Hollow. I promise to study the excellent photo from Koraat Razors before listing the hollow in my next posts. A special thanks to David @Blad for the correction and trying to get me thinking straight.

Wednesday March 24
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
OUMOBRUSH SHD SILK HMW Slivertip Knot -26x60mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

I did not post my shave March 18. I used the 6/8 full hollow Kure Nai Chinese blade. It was an uneventful shave. I satisfied my curiosity with the Chinese blades. I do not care for Chinese blades and they will be gone. I’m keeping two 5/8 blades a Boker King Cutter full hollow and a Morris Red Imp half hollow. Purging the rest. I finally have my likes and preferences sorted out with straights. SR‘s like DE’s so many models and variations it would be impossible to try them all. There are many who give it a good shot though. I think of them as adventurous blade warriors. Depending on your point of view pros and cons.

Todays SR shave was comfortable. WTG and XTG. EMDE a razor well fitted to my likes and preferences. A larger blade allows more flexibility in grips. Blade weight and mass power through strokes effortlessly. A muted full hollow noise without discernible vibration. A six day growth smoothly removed. I like this razor.

My eighth SR razor purchased. I got lucky finding a blade that works well for my shave. Planning to use this blade exclusively for honing and shaves going forward. Locking in a blade will improve honing and SR shaving technique at a quicker pace. I plan on purchasing three to four blades similar to the EMDE. Of course when I get a new blade I’ll try it out. Surprising to me. There are far more nuances and complexities in SR‘s than DE’s. As they say that’s only the half of it. Than you strap on honing. From my point of view now twenty eight shaves in. SR’s and honing are massive rabbit holes. I love it. 😊

9FF787DF-746D-457D-A86A-0645DE0BDD3A.jpeg

Monday March 29
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

Shave twenty-nine. Happy to have committed to one blade. Early going SR shaving is two things. Learning to shave and learning to hone. My honing has jumped past my SR shaving technique. Last nights 8K,12k and Cnat, with added stropping sessions between stones. Everything was in sync for me. Results, a hair popping edge. I have not had an edge as good on my previous EMDE shaves. Mediocre edge sharpness will not be tolerated again. Progressing in DE shaving was developing technique and using sharper and sharper blades. That got me to single use feathers. I am not able to hone a blade as sharp as a Feather. Why am I doing this? Honing to a very sharp keen edge on a straight razor blade, almost as thrilling as a BBS shave. Straight razor blades are more comfortable than De blades, even though not as sharp. Straight razor blades are gentler on my sensitive skin.

Last weeks shave was a six day. My skin has been really good. Todays five day shave puts the Grande back into the Single ATG Pass zone. Nice to have more options on the head shave. Started using the badgers again in the last few shaves. I have been a badger dude forever. I would like to think of my brushes with their differences as equals. Except for this Zenith Boar Chubby Scrubby. It is my favourite and a spectacular boar hair brush. Not as soft as a Silvertip but softer than my stubby two band badger. The across the board performance is only bettered by the Silvertip in softness.

There was a noticeable difference in sharpness and performance. Using DE & SR in my shaves I continue to compare methods. An indisputable given. Sharp blades and keenness of edge. The foundation and keystone of a successful shave. I continue to admire this blade. The keen, sharp edge gave the blade a nice smoothness in operation. The Cnat is a keeper. I found myself using the full blade width depth for gathering lather rather than a half blade. Which I did when it wasn’t as sharp. I tried a shave with this blade right off the 12k no stropping (the deadliest of sins), the 12k with stropping and now the Cnat. Razor care and edge preparation is critical with straights. I have some .2 & .1 micron paste racing up here from California. I will polish the edge on balsa after shaves. I hope to lengthen stone touch ups and see if a little polish will add any smoothness to the blade.

WTG & XTG I didn’t do the neck on the XTG pass. The third Grande ATG pass with a few touch ups kept the neck irritation just under the line. I did all the moustache and goatee area XTG. Took a little stab at the fools pass. The XTG was just a tad under a BBS as it should be, a lot was learned on this shave. No animal was harmed or bled. Seems like a long time since I had a Single ATG Pass head shave. 29 weeks I guess. Still very nice. Hopefully my neck skin can stand up to the five day shave. I do like single pass shaves.

My first use of Vitos was last July and it has been my exclusive soap. I never really thought that much about it. I probably have ten other soaps. Every time I think of trying something else, I just can’t bring myself to doing it. I probably adjust my lather a little more than the average. I use different lather consistencies for face and head. Adjusting both of these through my shaves Vitos is just very easy to use and adjust. I bought the 1000ml. box and I’m ready to refill a container again. I have never cared for the scent. I find the scent in a fresh container cloying. Therefore I leave the lid off always. I used a three hundred ml. container for my second time. My first was a 100ml container, the one I always photograph. Vitos is a croap. In the 300ml container it has dried out to harder than a stiff milled soap. Hard as a rock. The 100 ml container does not last long enough to dry out like the 300ml container does. The scent is totally gone quite awhile ago. The scent left and undetectable through the almond scent is a commercial soap scent. Not particularly pleasant or unpleasant, weak. All my animal hair brushes I use the same for making and building lather. Totally hydrated brush squeezed out too damp, load until it won’t take anymore. I face lather and dip the brush tips to adjust the lather. Today’s shave I submerged the rock hard soap under water not a bloom a drowning. After my shower I dumped the water and loaded as usual. I know this soap. It does not load any different as a moist croap too a dried out rock hard, heavily bloomed (maybe a few seconds faster, barely noticeable). The soap performance is the same across all moisture levels. I know why I keep using it. It’s simple to use and bulletproof.

I’ve read that shave thirty everything is supposed to jell and fall into place. This part of my journey from carts is the most fun and enjoyment so far. A mediocre mostly dreaded shave went to an adventure, exploration, and learning new skills. I can tag it spa, hobby, shave. I enjoy the shaves and the B&B Community has nurtured me in many ways. Thank You B&B Dudes. Shave On!

D3018563-FE93-4FBC-95EF-6D5C70FB440B.jpeg

Saturday April 3
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
Oumo Finest Two Band Badger White Tip Knot 26mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

Shave thirty and there was pulsating blood all over. Beyond septic stick, I needed compression. The third bandage I finally got a length of tape around it and stopped the blood. I also stopped the shave because of blood on the floor, cupboard the bandage and tape box. Clean up took ten minutes.

Looking forward to continuing the five day shave schedule. My ultra sensitive neck skin is in great shape. Hadn’t realized how much I missed the Single ATG Pass, head shave. Mondays was a treat and today’s was exquisite.

The SR felt a tad sharper and smoother. I stropped the blade on all three fabrics and on three horse and one bovine. Checking it with the 10x loupe. The shave takes the keenness off the apex. I can improve it with stropping. Looking forward to the .1 micron paste delivery. I plan on improving keenness of edge to a better place, 200,000 paste on balsa. I intend on using just the one as a polisher between shaves.

While enjoying the blade finish and smoothness. Probably feeling a little more saucy than I should have. I finished both cheeks around the chin to neck bottom both sides. Just moustache and goatee to complete.
Did not feel the blade cut a little quarter inch nick into the top of my pinky while wiping lather onto a tissue. Sarted on the moustache my arm was already red, didn’t even know l had cut my finger. Stopped the shave and while digging for bandages I bled all over the place. I re-lathered resumed the shave. XTG for the cheeks, goatee and moustache. I still cannot do XTG on neck. I will on the next shave first pass. My centre throat is N-S so ATG up my throat. I continue to feel more comfortable finding and adjusting the angles. Another great SR shave from a learning perspective.
The Grande had to work the chin lines harder to get BBS. An excellent shave.

Bought a Japanese blade. An Atlas 1000 Swedish steel 13/16 quarter hollow. I’ve used 5/8 half hollows but not quarter hollow. Looking forward to a new experience, and getting a few more wider blades.
Happy Easter!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Did not feel the blade cut a little quarter inch nick into the top of my pinky while wiping lather onto a tissue.
My worst cut from an SR shave was the result of reaching for the brush for a touch-up. An almost 1" long slash on the back of my arm that bled like the Dicken's, but never left a scar. I have since learned to set the blade down whilst adding a bit of lather to my face. :ouch1:

My worst cut from an SR shave was the result of reaching for the brush for a touch-up. An almost 1" long slash on the back of my arm that bled like the Dicken's, but never left a scar. I have since learned to set the blade down whilst adding a bit of lather to my face. :ouch1:
An easy and valuable lesson Doug. My first exposures to SR’s and handling blades I had been very careful and nervous. I’m not nervous anymore, but I do need to be more careful. Unlike other shave methods I doubt there are many dudes out there blood free. Or scar free. I’m getting into bigger blades now and that will make it easier to handle them correctly and safely. Will you be drifting back to Straights Doug? Why did you stop using them?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Will you be drifting back to Straights Doug? Why did you stop using them?
I was becoming careless, John. Just plain stupid handling mistakes, I was cutting my fingers and hands up like a rookie machinist pulling chips. I needed to take a step away.
That and the commotion coming from my two teenagers and SWMBO around shaving time was making it difficult to reach my Zen. It was more like a zoo, with my parrot chiming in just to keep things noisy. 🦜

As I work to get order restored in the household, the times that I reach for one of my straights instead of a safety razor will become more frequent.
All ten of my straights are shave ready at this moment, and I have finally been able to properly hang my strops where I want them. I'm so happy with my new 3k chosera that I am thinking of getting an 8k chosera and getting rid of my norton 4k/8k combo, and I am also looking at getting another coticule and a slurry stone, because it just isn't right to own only one coticule.

Then there is the cnat rabbit hole
WhatRabbit.png

Thursday April 8
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
DsCosmetics Boar Knot 26x64mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

Continuing to enjoy the deep focus and contemplation of the SR shave. Did one pass to night. I didn’t feel relaxed or comfortable enough for a second pass. Why push it. I’ve arrived back to skin comfort, pre straight razor. Last few shaves a lighter touch and pressure improvement. Skin comfort verifies that. A touch up on the blade with .1 micron paste. It did feel sharper. Undecided wether blade was smoother or harsher. I will touch it up on the Cnat for next shave. I feel much like I did in my blade sampling with DE blades. You think there is or might be a difference. At this point it’s shaving ability. No technique. I feel and experience sharp or dull by blades cutting performance. I can not feel subtleties, no technique. Just sharp or dull. Practice will continue on hone and shave.

Face and head BBS shaves continue. Learning and practicing SR. I was looking forward to the ATG Single Pass head shave. A comfort level improvement in my single pass. Five day growth is the maximum for whiskers. Should I extend days on my face shaves with SR. I will not give up the single pass head shave again. Comfort, zero skin issues. Head skin feels like it’s glowing. Maximum efficiency equals maximum comfort. I do not achieve this skin comfort with multiple passes. The twenty nine weeks of multiple head pass shaves. I am surprised with the difference. Great shaves as the journey continues.

Tuesday April 13
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

I did not touch up the blade with paste or stone. It looked too nice. I did put around two hundred laps on various fabrics and leather strops. That improved nice considerably. I honed this blade without tape and it has a 15.6 degree angle. My ability and technique are not on, or at the same level. The straight frustration continues, shave thirty two. If I feel a harshness to a very smooth good looking blade apex. Is it my limited experience or is too much of an acute angle on the blade? It is a heavier wider blade. If I think it is the angle no problem tape re set the bevel and increase the angle. Go up one degree. Ordinarily try a few shaves. Decide and make adjustments to shave or stone. I don’t have a few shaves only this one.

Like many journeys some times there is an unplanned adventure. A couple of shaves ago I mentioned: “Bought a Japanese blade. An Atlas 1000 Swedish steel 13/16 quarter hollow. I’ve used 5/8 half hollows but not quarter hollow. Looking forward to a new experience, and getting a few more wider blades.”

Well that blade came in. It’s a NOS and in better shape than I expected. I had to hone it. Not quite what I expected. A beautiful heavy Western looking razor with an eight hundred year reach back to Korean Buddhist Monks. My first Kamasori blade. A single beveled edge Ura is the top side of the blade. Omote is the flat bottom slightly concave side of the blade. Depending on who you are talking or listening to. Kamasori is next level sharpness. The German EMDE apex pops hair. The Kamasori Ura apex pops and catapults the hair. I gotta go shave and I’m not going to worry about the 15.6 degree angle. Next weeks shave. New Rules.

For so many shavers. Sometimes a half stroke will reveal all you need to know about the blade. My confidence restored. The sharp harsh blade of last week is now buttery smooth I almost thought soft. Big mistake. While I was patting myself on the back. A little nick along the jaw line and a weeper under the lip. The difference plane and simple. Stropping and plenty of it. The full hollow usually has a little bit of noise. The smoothness of the blade cancelled all the noise, which is caused by a little vibration. There wasn’t that slightest bit of vibration that I had last shave. Just very smooth strokes. I love this razor, it’s a keeper. Finishing both right and left side of my face. I could feel a bit of smoothness leaving the blade. I did what I started doing while honing the Kamasori. Palm stropping. Yes it makes a difference and it only takes a few seconds. I am not some strop guru. I doubt I could effectively and safely strop a smaller blade. The EMDE and the Kamasori are large heavy blades. The EMDE is 49.7g & the Kami is 57.7g. The blades have width, weight and thickness. It feels very natural palm stropping, even in the middle of a shave. Finished up the shave which was closer than last weeks. All good another great face and head shave. Got me wondering did the Buddhist Monks always have a mate shave them. In the movies they never shave their own heads. While next week I’ll just try to figure out how to shave my face with a Kamasori. What could go wrong?

Tuesday April 13
Ten minute tepid shower
EMDE 13/16 Full Hollow
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

I did not touch up the blade with paste or stone. It looked too nice. I did put around two hundred laps on various fabrics and leather strops. That improved nice considerably. I honed this blade without tape and it has a 15.6 degree angle. My ability and technique are not on, or at the same level. The straight frustration continues, shave thirty two. If I feel a harshness to a very smooth good looking blade apex. Is it my limited experience or is too much of an acute angle on the blade? It is a heavier wider blade. If I think it is the angle no problem tape re set the bevel and increase the angle. Go up one degree. Ordinarily try a few shaves. Decide and make adjustments to shave or stone. I don’t have a few shaves only this one.

Like many journeys some times there is an unplanned adventure. A couple of shaves ago I mentioned: “Bought a Japanese blade. An Atlas 1000 Swedish steel 13/16 quarter hollow. I’ve used 5/8 half hollows but not quarter hollow. Looking forward to a new experience, and getting a few more wider blades.”

Well that blade came in. It’s a NOS and in better shape than I expected. I had to hone it. Not quite what I expected. A beautiful heavy Western looking razor with an eight hundred year reach back to Korean Buddhist Monks. My first Kamasori blade. A single beveled edge Ura is the top side of the blade. Omote is the flat bottom slightly concave side of the blade. Depending on who you are talking or listening to. Kamasori is next level sharpness. The German EMDE apex pops hair. The Kamasori Ura apex pops and catapults the hair. I gotta go shave and I’m not going to worry about the 15.6 degree angle. Next weeks shave. New Rules.

For so many shavers. Sometimes a half stroke will reveal all you need to know about the blade. My confidence restored. The sharp harsh blade of last week is now buttery smooth I almost thought soft. Big mistake. While I was patting myself on the back. A little nick along the jaw line and a weeper under the lip. The difference plane and simple. Stropping and plenty of it. The full hollow usually has a little bit of noise. The smoothness of the blade cancelled all the noise, which is caused by a little vibration. There wasn’t that slightest bit of vibration that I had last shave. Just very smooth strokes. I love this razor, it’s a keeper. Finishing both right and left side of my face. I could feel a bit of smoothness leaving the blade. I did what I started doing while honing the Kamasori. Palm stropping. Yes it makes a difference and it only takes a few seconds. I am not some strop guru. I doubt I could effectively and safely strop a smaller blade. The EMDE and the Kamasori are large heavy blades. The EMDE is 49.7g & the Kami is 57.7g. The blades have width, weight and thickness. It feels very natural palm stropping, even in the middle of a shave. Finished up the shave which was closer than last weeks. All good another great face and head shave. Got me wondering did the Buddhist Monks always have a mate shave them. In the movies they never shave their own heads. While next week I’ll just try to figure out how to shave my face with a Kamasori. What could go wrong?

Congrats on the new razor!

I often find that I prefer the edge after a couple of shaves than fresh from the hone. Glad you found a full hollow that is to your liking. :)

Congrats on the new razor!

I often find that I prefer the edge after a couple of shaves than fresh from the hone. Glad you found a full hollow that is to your liking. :)
I am pleased the EMDE has exceeded my expectations for a full hollow. I admit and accept my limited experience, a strong factor in all variations of straights. A blade performing as hoped and planned for is always a big thrill. I haven’t any expectations with my inaugural Kamasori blade. No idea where it may lead. Closer to western straights or a plunge into a Samurai rabbit hole. A very sharp place.

Top Bottom