What's new

GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY

@Esox Thanks Mike. I got my back up Grande last week. They are both 19.4 but only purchased a few months apart. I’m waiting on a Piccolo Special Edition on a trade. So I’m thinking it is going to be 19.6 like your nephews. My other thought. Is some of that .2 the different thicknesses in coatings? I am looking forward to trying a Feather Blade in the Piccolo when I get it. I’m also curious if the Piccolo is capable of a One Pass ATG DFS. Without buffing my way to Kingdom come. I know it’s a milder razor than the Grande.

Attachments

• FB5E15FA-67A2-49BC-BB97-5B765CDFFDD8.jpeg
    FB5E15FA-67A2-49BC-BB97-5B765CDFFDD8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 135AEF3B-8DBD-4DDC-B9FB-E24CC8E7A203.jpeg
    135AEF3B-8DBD-4DDC-B9FB-E24CC8E7A203.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 3

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox Thanks Mike. I got my back up Grande last week. They are both 19.4 but only purchased a few months apart. I’m waiting on a Piccolo Special Edition on a trade. So I’m thinking it is going to be 19.6 like your nephews. My other thought. Is some of that .2 the different thicknesses in coatings? I am looking forward to trying a Feather Blade in the Piccolo when I get it. I’m also curious if the Piccolo is capable of a One Pass ATG DFS. Without buffing my way to Kingdom come. I know it’s a milder razor than the Grande.

The Piccolo SE, as I understand it, is powder painted and then clear coated. I think that would explain the difference, yeah.

Wednesday June 24
Ten minute hot shower
SHAVE #15
Fatip Gold Grande
Voskhod (5)
Shaving-Brush-Knot Oumo 28/75 from knot bottom Finest Two Band Chubby Fan - Oumo Acrylic Handle
RazoRock Pre - Shave Soap - Charcoal Lime
Tabac
Osma Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

A great shave. My comfort level and improving technique with the Grande continues. This was probably my first shave where I absolutely knew it would be great. Tabac is a fabulous shave soap. The Two Band a pleasure to use. My most comfortable head lathering brush. The Grande flawless. The one pass ATG is feeling more comfortable each time. The face shave required a little extra buffing around moustache and under the chin a bit. The head, a little extra buffing on my two spots back of the head. A solid BBS. The same brush and soap for thee shaves assures I can dial them in perfectly. I am still getting use to one pass shaving and the oddest feeling, it’s over so fast. Alum smooth and cool, the slightest touch still on the neck. Obviously still not light enough on that spot but improving. I’m honestly still trying to wrap my head around my acceleration through eleven razors, three pass shaving, to one pass ATG in one year. My only starting goals were a BBS with comfort. I love rabbit holes with big surprises.
I’ve got two more brushes to use to get through the rotation for the first time. The black and white chubby boar followed by the aqua boar. The varied brushes provide a nice challenge for me. Understanding and trying to dial in each brushes strengths for that perfect shave. This is the first time in my shaving life I know it’s achievable. I’m enjoying my best comfort level which is improving. I know the perfect shave is very close. The razor to get me there The Gold Grande.

Attachments

• 556294C5-0B19-46CC-B5EB-96A80FF96CCA.jpeg
    556294C5-0B19-46CC-B5EB-96A80FF96CCA.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 15
  • D74A49B2-32D1-44E0-B14C-2EA178C485F8.jpeg
    D74A49B2-32D1-44E0-B14C-2EA178C485F8.jpeg
    775.5 KB · Views: 16
Sunday June 28
Ten minute hot shower
SHAVE #16
Fatip Gold Grande
Voskhod (1)
Shaving-Brush-Knot Dscosmetics boar 26x64mm Acrylic Handle (First Use)
Pre-Shave - Wickham Gentle Glycerine Face Soap Cashmere (First use)
Haslinger Schafmilch (First Use )
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel (First Use)
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

My four boar Brushes. I’ve only used the Zenith Chubby. I’ve fully broken in the black&white, and the aqua boar. (Broken in to a minimum softness that I’ll use on my skin) What is a fully broken In boar brush like? I only have one Plisson Silvertip over thirty years old. All other brushes I own are less than a year Old. The boars have been broken in with refrigerator soaks, hand lathering, and towelling. I had broken in my Zenith Chubby, & Horse while using on my face and head skin shaving. I found it uncomfortable to the point of pain in the early going. I have sensitive skin. I now prefer a One Pass ATG shave. There is no place in my kit for pretty good performance regardless of the product or tool. Breaking in brushes on my skin is not acceptable brush performance to me. Six brushes in rotation. I use one brush and soap combo for three shaves. The brush goes back on the shelf after three shaves, for two months. If I do not have that feeling that I can hardly wait to use that brush again. It has no place in my rotation. My Silk Silvertip Chubby, Two Band Fan Chubby, Zenith Chubby Boar, Zenith Horse Hair are four to meet that criteria. The three remaining boars will scrap it out in the next month in a half, which will be three shaves each. I have a new Oumo White Tip Two Band Chubby Badger knot on the way. Badgers are my preference in brushes. in the end only one of the three boars will be in the final rotation. I predict the black&White will suit my performance needs above the others. We’ll see. All my predictions to date have been wrong. We’ll have to see where we are at year end with the brushes.

Ah the Connaught Jade. It’s in the refrigerator right now for the third time. The tips are starting to split nicely and it will be ready for use after the aqua rotates out, which it appears to be closest to physically. All four brushes have different colour hair and thickness in hair. Different knot sizes, different knot density and loft length. Every brush has its own specific performance dynamics. As usual all good performers. The overachiever gets to stay in the den.

The T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel has a medium scent. I can’t describe it yet. It went on with a lack of glide or lubrication. I need more uses before I have an opinion.

I haven’t used very many after shaves in years. As of late because of the buzz and love for Pinaud I have been trying their aftershaves. The Vegetal I added a few drops of Lilac fragrance oil to take the sharp edge off. I don’t mind it but that’s a long way from I really like it. Pinaud Vegetal After Shave has left the den, and will not return.

I have always shaved between the twelves in the pm. I have never shaved with any type of time consideration or constraint. I am always in a relaxed comfortable mood. This was my criteria for over fifty years before I started DE shaving. This hasn’t changed but the unfamiliarity of the products and kit have been enough to cause angst and a little nervousness. The last month my focus has increased on every part of my routine and kit. The angst and nervousness is gone. This shave I’m using four new items. My confidence and technique are at a level where I know the shave be great or wonderful. I do not have poor or bad shaves anymore. My care in kit selection, pre and post shave routines assure me of a great shave being the minimum. I am however very much in goal and effort moving towards a perfect shave. It is achievable. I just don’t know when. I would never have said that as a cart shaver.

The black&white boar was not disappointing but would be if compared to the Zenith Chubby. This boar along with the other two are not in the same class or performance level. I will comment on brush performance and knot measurements after the second shave. I quite liked the Wickham Glycerin face soap as pre shave. A few finger smears through the lather confirmed a nice slick undercoat. The cashmere scent was nice as well. The Haslinger like any of the old standards is a great shave soap. The scent was a very mild soap smell to me. The cashmere scent from the Wickham came through in a nice way, all very mild. Haslinger lathers instantly without any effort. I did have the brush a tad wet. A thick painted on paste quickly developed into a nice medium fluffy white lather. The lather is a brighter white than Tabac and a little lighter in density compared to Tabac. The residual glide on wet skin for buffing strokes was excellent. Zero alum feedback at the end. The ATG One Pass shave continues to evolve. Every shave improves as I become more familiar where that extra stroke is needed. The angles from steep to shallow probably are at fifty fifty. In my cart days l was a G-Slide and J-Hook Jedi. I am trying to get those mechanics going again. J-Hooking with carts is a wrist twist motion. I’ve been shaving with a locked wrist since starting DE shaving. My feeble J’s below the chin line and neck we’re a hybrid wrist and arm twist. looking and feeling wonky. I’m waiting for the good instincts to kick in and sort the stroke out. I’ll continue practicing. I do miss J-Hooking. Post shave skin very relaxed and comfortable. This was an above average face & head BBS.

Of course I’ve just got a hundred Voskhod‘s with the last shave order. Basically enough for life. The Grande wants something sharper. An excellent shave with more buffing than I liked. It has always been inevitable, the Feather will go in next rotation. Even though I have only got harsh shaves from this blade. It really bugs me that I can’t make it work smoothly.

Attachments

• 82E29B19-FB8C-492F-BCF8-34C26034B763.jpeg
    82E29B19-FB8C-492F-BCF8-34C26034B763.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 06701924-1946-448F-A370-FB859EB0A482.jpeg
    06701924-1946-448F-A370-FB859EB0A482.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ECAB0085-8729-487B-A8B0-1311BD5C85C8.jpeg
    ECAB0085-8729-487B-A8B0-1311BD5C85C8.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 10
  • A0C2471C-84EB-420B-8A38-9E221890ECD0.jpeg
    A0C2471C-84EB-420B-8A38-9E221890ECD0.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4CF9E594-C549-4B9F-A99D-24B9E5F4E8CE.jpeg
    4CF9E594-C549-4B9F-A99D-24B9E5F4E8CE.jpeg
    775.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It has always been inevitable, the Feather will go in next rotation. Even though I have only got harsh shaves from this blade. It really bugs me that I can’t make it work smoothly.

I struggled with Feather blades for over a year. They gave me a close shave but it was always harsh and left me with mild irritation. I used them for the 2018 FFFMM with Tabac and couldnt find a way to shave without any harshness. Then I bought some PdP. On my first shave with it all that harshness was gone.

That taught me my skin reacts differently to different soaps and Feather blades became my test of a new soap. Since then all of my top soaps pass that test while many others have not.

Just the opposite for me. The more supple my skin is, the less irritation I can have. My skin reacts differently to different soaps. I learned that difference on my first shave with PdP. It made my skin so supple and forgiving that on the very first shave, all the harshness I struggled with for a year using Feather blades was gone. Completely gone.

Since then, thats my test for any new soap. If I can shave with a fresh Feather blade and not have irritation I know it agrees with my skin.

Soaps and creams that havent passed that test:
Proraso.
Stirling.
Tabac.
Castle Forbes cream.
Truefitt & Hill.
Midnight & Two.
Trumpers cream.

Soaps and creams that have passed that test:
Wickham 1912.
CRS cream.
PDP.
WK DM.
Captain's Choice cream.
Phoenix & Beau.
Nivea cream, either regular or sensitive.

Since I've come to accept that, Feather have moved into my #1 blade spot. They give me my absolute best shave in my Grande with a typical three pass shave and minimal buffing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Along with PdP and Wickham, which other soaps are Feather tamers?

Of the soaps I've so far used...

Soaps and creams that have passed that test:
Wickham 1912.
CRS cream.
PDP.
WK DM.
Captain's Choice cream.
Phoenix & Beau.
Nivea cream, either regular or sensitive.

Of those soaps Wickham is #1. Closely followed, in order, by PdP, WK DM, CRS/P&B tied and CC/Nivea tied. The diifferences between them are so slight as to not matter.

I'm confident SV and Cella will pass and fairly confident that Vitos will as well.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks. Here’s hoping they do. Of course, all your high-end soaps and creams will render themselves surplus when you try Arko (making note to self about CRS rose…)

Last edited:
Of the soaps I've so far used...

Of those soaps Wickham is #1. Closely followed, in order, by PdP, WK DM, CRS/P&B tied and CC/Nivea tied. The diifferences between them are so slight as to not matter.

I'm confident SV and Cella will pass and fairly confident that Vitos will as well.
This last shave I had there was a considerable difference in blade feel. Although both soap and pre shave were first time use. I thought it was the glycerin pre shave more than the Haslinger soap. I got a lot more blade feel than I’ve been used to. In a real nice way. My last purchase I got a Wickham cashmere 1912 sample and a tub of Vito’s. I’ll use the Wickham sample, and the glycerin pre shave with the Feather, next rotation. What other sharp blades worked well for you in the Grande Mike? This last shave was also more comfortable and closer as well. It was the first time I felt as though the Voskhod wasn’t keeping up. It would happen right after I bought another 100. How long was it before the Grande stopped surprising you?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What other sharp blades worked well for you in the Grande Mike?

Blades on my no-go list:

GSB, Gillette Platinum, Treet Platinum, Trig Silver Edge, Vidyut SuperMax Platinum, Vidyut SuperMax Stainless, Super-Max Platinum and Zorrick.

Those Super-Max blades shouldnt be confused with Super-Max Blue Diamond which are a pretty good blade.

IMG_2066.JPG

It still surprises me sometimes, or maybe I surprise myself not sure. Those surprises are just smaller, fewer and farther between.

If you like the smoothness of Voskhod, I used one last week, you might also like Rapira Platinum Lux, Lord Platinum and the entire Gillette 7 O'Clock series, Green, Yellow and Black as well as Bic Chrome Platinum and maybe Shark Super Chrome.

Perma-Sharp Super is also a very smooth blade, equally smooth to those above while being the absolute best blade in my Gillette Regent that has the same amount of blade exposure as my Grande and R41, if not slightly more. It also has very little blade gap. I lost count of the shaves on a single blade at 18 but I know it was over 20 shaves before I became bored with it.

I did use one in my Grande, but that was very early days when I was searching for the best single pass ATG shave and I didnt like it as much. Since I have 100 coming, I'll be finding out how much I do like it. I expect bliss.

If you're thinking of trying a few different blades, have a look at Try A Blade.

Blades on my no-go list:

GSB, Gillette Platinum, Treet Platinum, Trig Silver Edge, Vidyut SuperMax Platinum, Vidyut SuperMax Stainless, Super-Max Platinum and Zorrick.

Those Super-Max blades shouldnt be confused with Super-Max Blue Diamond which are a pretty good blade.

View attachment 1119674

It still surprises me sometimes, or maybe I surprise myself not sure. Those surprises are just smaller, fewer and farther between.

If you like the smoothness of Voskhod, I used one last week, you might also like Rapira Platinum Lux, Lord Platinum and the entire Gillette 7 O'Clock series, Green, Yellow and Black as well as Bic Chrome Platinum and maybe Shark Super Chrome.

Perma-Sharp Super is also a very smooth blade, equally smooth to those above while being the absolute best blade in my Gillette Regent that has the same amount of blade exposure as my Grande and R41, if not slightly more. It also has very little blade gap. I lost count of the shaves on a single blade at 18 but I know it was over 20 shaves before I became bored with it.

I did use one in my Grande, but that was very early days when I was searching for the best single pass ATG shave and I didnt like it as much. Since I have 100 coming, I'll be finding out how much I do like it. I expect bliss.

If you're thinking of trying a few different blades, have a look at Try A Blade.
Thanks Mike. I got these on hand. I’ll see if I can find something as smooth as the Voskhod but a little more efficient. What did you think of the Nacet? I had the same experience with the Nacet as the Feather, harsh. I haven’t tried any blades in a few months. Voskhod is the only blade I’ve used in the Grande.

Attachments

• 7B4103D3-B069-4E65-AB66-99D26BB1B99A.jpeg
    7B4103D3-B069-4E65-AB66-99D26BB1B99A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks Mike. I got these on hand. I’ll see if I can find something as smooth as the Voskhod but a little more efficient. What did you think of the Nacet? I had the same experience with the Nacet as the Feather, harsh. I haven’t tried any blades in a few months. Voskhod is the only blade I’ve used in the Grande.

Not a bad blade in the bunch there, John.

Nacet I have mixed feelings about. I found them sharp but not as sharp as others. I also found them smooth, but its a different kind of smoothness than the others. They have, to me anyway, very much a 'bare blade' kind of feel. Not harsh but not obviously coated like Voskhod or the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades, but more like Kai and maybe, Astra SP. I found Astra SS smoother than Astra SP.

If you find them harsh, try loading your brush a little longer and using a thicker lather. That can help mask blade feel.

Lord Platinum is one of the smoothest blades I've used and could easily masquerade as a Gillette Green to me.

Gillette Black were ultra smooth but became gradually more harsh for me. It was, and may still be, my top blade for a three pass shave. I'll need to try another. I think I prefer them over Gillette Yellow but not sure.

Perma-Sharp Super, from what I remember, are as smooth as the Lord yet cut much better for me and last a long time...

I used a fresh Derby Extra in my Grande today and while shaving I was thinking to myself "If this is the only blade I could use, I'd be happy." A fantastic shave with CRS Sandalwood cream that honestly rivaled my best shave with a Feather and Wickham 1912.

As smooth as Voskhod yet more efficient, hmmm. You may find that with the Gillette Black or Perma-Sharp. I'm really looking forward to using a Perma-Sharp again.

Not a bad blade in the bunch there, John.

Nacet I have mixed feelings about. I found them sharp but not as sharp as others. I also found them smooth, but its a different kind of smoothness than the others. They have, to me anyway, very much a 'bare blade' kind of feel. Not harsh but not obviously coated like Voskhod or the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades, but more like Kai and maybe, Astra SP. I found Astra SS smoother than Astra SP.

If you find them harsh, try loading your brush a little longer and using a thicker lather. That can help mask blade feel.

Lord Platinum is one of the smoothest blades I've used and could easily masquerade as a Gillette Green to me.

Gillette Black were ultra smooth but became gradually more harsh for me. It was, and may still be, my top blade for a three pass shave. I'll need to try another. I think I prefer them over Gillette Yellow but not sure.

Perma-Sharp Super, from what I remember, are as smooth as the Lord yet cut much better for me and last a long time...

I used a fresh Derby Extra in my Grande today and while shaving I was thinking to myself "If this is the only blade I could use, I'd be happy." A fantastic shave with CRS Sandalwood cream that honestly rivaled my best shave with a Feather and Wickham 1912.

As smooth as Voskhod yet more efficient, hmmm. You may find that with the Gillette Black or Perma-Sharp. I'm really looking forward to using a Perma-Sharp again.
I’m going to try the Feather first and if I can’t get a smooth shave with them. I’ll put my Feather obsession to rest. I am trying new brushes and soaps for three shaves in a rotation. If everything is copacetic after two shaves and totally dialed in. I will try a new blade in on the third shave. I feel this is my best chance for an honest appraisal, when the blade is the only change in the kit. Six face and head shaves a month or twelve passes a month is slow to figure things out. Tuning up a great shave to me is in a zone of diminishing returns. I definitely want to make sure it doesn’t get ugly. You have me interested in the Perma-Sharp if the Feather doesn’t do it for me. The only two parts I have for a go to kit is the Grande and the Voskhod. Everything else still remains in flux.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I feel this is my best chance for an honest appraisal, when the blade is the only change in the kit.

Thats the only way to test blades, or any other single component for that matter.

Try a Derby Extra, they might surprise you.

Thats the only way to test blades, or any other single component for that matter.

I have a tuck of Derby Premium. Mike I can only try two blades a month on my present schedule. I will slowly and methodically go through the blades I have on hand which will take me into the new year. You definitely zeroed me in on a few. Although I tried most of them, but none in the Grande. I expect all of them to feel different from last use. My shave technique has definitely improved since I last tried them. How often do you try different blades Mike?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have a tuck of Derby Premium. Mike I can only try two blades a month on my present schedule. I will slowly and methodically go through the blades I have on hand which will take me into the new year. You definitely zeroed me in on a few. Although I tried most of them, but none in the Grande. I expect all of them to feel different from last use. My shave technique has definitely improved since I last tried them. How often do you try different blades Mike?

If you check in my profile for threads I've started, you'll find several blade reviews I've done. All of them were done with a Gillette NEW SC and Stirling soaps. A few of the blades I really liked in my NEW SC, such as the Blue Diamond Titanium thats a dead ringer for Polsilver in my SC, I didnt like as much in my Grande. Others, such as a Gillette Black I didnt like so much in my SC but really liked in my Grande.

I use a different blade quite often. Sometimes every shave and honestly, these days John, I really dont notice that much difference between them when the final outcome is complete. Some may be smoother than others but all are smooth. Some may cut better than others but all cut well and all give me pretty much the same outcome.

What I noticed using a Derby Extra yesterday was, it didnt shave me quite as closely as a Feather does but it is a highly capable blade that easily gives me a shave I'm happy with. Thats a feat on its own.

I still have quite a few different kinds of blades. Later today I'll get my blade box out and take a picture of all the loose tucks I have and post it back here.

If you check in my profile for threads I've started, you'll find several blade reviews I've done. All of them were done with a Gillette NEW SC and Stirling soaps. A few of the blades I really liked in my NEW SC, such as the Blue Diamond Titanium thats a dead ringer for Polsilver in my SC, I didnt like as much in my Grande. Others, such as a Gillette Black I didnt like so much in my SC but really liked in my Grande.

I use a different blade quite often. Sometimes every shave and honestly, these days John, I really dont notice that much difference between them when the final outcome is complete. Some may be smoother than others but all are smooth. Some may cut better than others but all cut well and all give me pretty much the same outcome.

What I noticed using a Derby Extra yesterday was, it didnt shave me quite as closely as a Feather does but it is a highly capable blade that easily gives me a shave I'm happy with. Thats a feat on its own.

I still have quite a few different kinds of blades. Later today I'll get my blade box out and take a picture of all the loose tucks I have and post it back here.
Mike I guess I’m feeling that my technique may be approaching a level where I can make any blade work well. The reason I think that.The Voskhod just seems to need more buffing to get the shave I want. I’m going to use that same Voskhod again flipped. It it feels the same on the second shave. The Feather will certainly be the acid test for the following shave. If ain’t smooth I need more technique improvement. That’s the way I feel about it. Having the option of using multiple blades with the same good results is certainly a place I want to be. Do you think you technique instinctively makes adjustments for different blades?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike I guess I’m feeling that my technique may be approaching a level where I can make any blade work well. The reason I think that.The Voskhod just seems to need more buffing to get the shave I want. I’m going to use that same Voskhod again flipped. It it feels the same on the second shave. The Feather will certainly be the acid test for the following shave. If ain’t smooth I need more technique improvement. That’s the way I feel about it. Having the option of using multiple blades with the same good results is certainly a place I want to be. Do you think you technique instinctively makes adjustments for different blades?

Using the Voskhod when I last did, it shaved me close, but not as close as a Feather or, maybe, a Polsilver. Equally close as a Derby Extra I guess while the edge felt as smooth as oiled glass on my skin. Previously, I'd found that smoothness diminished for shaves 2 and 3 and by the time I was on shave 4, it returned and was very smooth again but it didnt have that glassy smooth feeling, it was different.

Feather blades really are incredibly sharp. I think its because of that extreme sharpness that they feel harsh. They arent actually harsh, they're just wickedly sharp. This is why I think that some soaps make my skin more supple than others. Soft, supple skin is more forgiving of that extreme sharpness. Balancing that with a lathers thickness completely removes, or masks, the feel of the blade from my shaves with my top soaps.

I treat all blades the same but I will say that I use slightly more care when using a Feather but as soon as I start shaving that trepidation goes away. I think very little when I shave. The only place I really slow down and take any care at all is tight under each nostril. If you nick the edge of a nostril, boy I'll tell ya, that hurts! lol

Using the Voskhod when I last did, it shaved me close, but not as close as a Feather or, maybe, a Polsilver. Equally close as a Derby Extra I guess while the edge felt as smooth as oiled glass on my skin. Previously, I'd found that smoothness diminished for shaves 2 and 3 and by the time I was on shave 4, it returned and was very smooth again but it didnt have that glassy smooth feeling, it was different.

Feather blades really are incredibly sharp. I think its because of that extreme sharpness that they feel harsh. They arent actually harsh, they're just wickedly sharp. This is why I think that some soaps make my skin more supple than others. Soft, supple skin is more forgiving of that extreme sharpness. Balancing that with a lathers thickness completely removes, or masks, the feel of the blade from my shaves with my top soaps.

I treat all blades the same but I will say that I use slightly more care when using a Feather but as soon as I start shaving that trepidation goes away. I think very little when I shave. The only place I really slow down and take any care at all is tight under each nostril. If you nick the edge of a nostril, boy I'll tell ya, that hurts! lol
Equally close as a Derby Extra I guess while the edge felt as smooth as oiled glass on my skin.
I have always had that smooth as oiled glass glide with the Voskhod. I’m started to think I have stayed with the blade as long as have more for smoothness as opposed to sharpness. I like the blade and will always have them around. Especially since I just picked up another hundred. Mike do you have a go to test blade? For trying out new razors.

Mike have you ever used pre shaves? The Wickham glycerin face soap I used as pre shave on my last shave elevated my familiar glide substantially. What is your opinion of the Haslinger soaps Mike?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike do you have a go to test blade? For trying out new razors.

Derby Extra, the older pre 2016 version that most dislike despise. They really work great for me in all my razors but my R41. I dont think I've tried one in a Tech though.

Mike have you ever used pre shaves? The Wickham glycerin face soap I used as pre shave on my last shave elevated my familiar glide substantially. What is your opinion of the Haslinger soaps Mike?

I've not used any preshave products and I havent used any aftershave products since the early 1990's. If I could buy Proraso Red locally, I can only get White and Green, I might though.

Haslinger is a soap that I havent yet tried but has been on my list for a long time. If I would have thought of it when making my last order I would have added a puck!

Top Bottom