Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Proraso After Shave Balm Sensitive
Neutrogena Hydro Boost - hydrating serum
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Mistake, over exuberance, hair trigger, panic buying. No idea what I’m looking at. All of the above. The second image surely is a depiction of an end profile Kamasori blade. All I saw was what I was hunting. It appeared to me as a quarter hollow. Sometimes things happen for a reason. I did not stock or study the prey effectively or properly. I guess it’s possible to pull the trigger on the wrong target. I sure did. My bad. You are all safe from me. I don’t own guns or hunt live prey.

Some eBay sellers post no returns accepted. My options. Re-sell, take a hit. Walk the path of the Samurai. My limited honing and stropping experience has allowed me to achieve what I have read about an asymmetrical blade. Next level sharpness. Sushi knives arguably very specialized also accepted as one of the sharpest knives used in food preparation. Asymmetrical blade is a one sided or single bevel blade. Being single bevel they can be right handed or left handed in both Sushi and Kamasori blades.
Your best western style double bevel filleting knife is used by many of us in the same way. Think of laying the edge down flat on a hard surface and skinning a fish. That is exactly how the asymmetrical blade is designed to function. The blades bevel side up Ura. The blades flat side down Omote.

Honing and stropping are also different with an asymmetrical blade. You use a ratio. Western double sided blades are 1:1 one stroke on each side keep it even. The hone expert including a very respected Japanese honer I viewed used 10:1 on their Kamasori blades. This leaves the slightest bevel on the Omote flat side. I set the bevel and stropped the blade to a 10:1 ratio. All things being equal sometimes. There should be no problems using the blade as designed. It is next level sharpness.

800 years ago Korean Buddhist Monks did not bring a folding Kamasori blade with western scales to Japan. Their blade had a long tang of steel traditionally wrapped in bamboo. Some preferred the unwrapped bare steel tang, which is still in fashion today. The innovative Japanese somewhere along the line decided to use a Kamasori blade folding into western scales. Bonzer! For those using and preferring western folding razors the best of both worlds. Maybe. The same problem is present, with a different handle. Scales. Shaving the friendly side In my case right handed and right handed asymmetrical blade on right side of face. Going to the left side not so much. Now everything is backwards and upside down. Not an issue for the traditionalist. They use very innovative contorted angles to respect Omote side down. Some dudes may only prefer to use one hand and others both hands. Finding and using the appropriate angles to maintain Omote flat to the skin.

Shaving my head does not draw me to the side of traditional Buddhists norms. To me and many others a razor is a tool. Many shavers use both sides of a Kamasori blade to shave. One of the main reasons for a different honing ratio. Pick a ratio 5:1, 7:3, 10:2, 10:7 whoever is honing may well base their ratios on using both sides of the blade. They may also take their whiskers, shave soap, stones, strops and moon position into account in deciding their ratio used for honing. I will start my journey with the traditional 10:1. Upon the completion of 10:1 bevel set and honing. Surprise, I found a simplicity and more ease in establishing the finished bevel and edge compared to the western double bevel blades. So we have simplicity’s rolled in with the complexities of a different style straight razor. A shave will answer so many questions.

Top pic Omote
Bot pic Ura Razor to the left EMDE which is 49.7g. The Atlas Kamasori is 57.7g.

The Kamasori is a smooth sharp blade. Combination different angle plus an added 8g of weight. The blade in one word felt powerful. I decided to go traditional, full Ura bevel side up. I found the most difficult part of the shave was checking to see what side of the blade I was using. You have to check because than you need to find the grip that will accommodate your stroke. Of course all this fumbling around is beginners stuff very much present with the western straight as well. The extra time between strokes and figuring up from down was taking a toll on lather. Drying out was not an issue. The Zenith boar and Vitos soap adjusts a drying lather to snot slickness in seconds. A Kamasori blade demands slick lather no substitutions. The blade slides along on its strokes quietly and effortlessly. For my thirty-third straight razor shave. I did not find it difficult. Two little nicks the red line kind that don’t bleed. Last weeks EMDE shave I described as buttery smooth. The Kamasori felt like a greased buttery smooth. A tad smoother than the EMDE blade. I completed a SAS shave more out of caution. At the end of the shave I could start to feel that my touch was getting very much lighter. Everything felt real good. Just so that I would know and experience the difference I did a few Omote passes on my cheek. They are extremely shallow and uncomfortable for me. I prefer steep strokes on all razors. Tonights face and head shave was great. A slight improvement in skin comfort as well. The Kamasori with the ratios and green side up in all can sound complicated. Truth of the matter is. I got the same feeling as I did after honing the Kamasori. The shave was simplicity and actually felt less complicated than a western blade to me. This was the first straight shave that felt that way to me.
My shave was a combination of WTG & XTG strokes. Whatever fit the Ura shave strokes.

Im a newbie learner straight shaver. My journey would be smoother and quicker at this point if I picked and stayed with a blade. East or West? A journey needs direction.

A7FB2548-04D7-4989-A2C7-73312BC65464.jpeg
05D3A0A8-8647-4D98-BF7E-D599AC247712.png
1319D1E3-732E-4C66-9089-11D9CBFFCDB6.jpeg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
East or West?

My answer to your question is: the whole plamned danet.

The single bevel on your folding kamisori looks like it’s made for a right-handed barber to use on customers or a left-handed bon-vivant giving one’s self a shave. They appear this way to me because; in my ignorance; I’m generalizing what I’ve seen in katsuramuki videos and applying it human flesh. For what are we as a species but quasi sentient, misshapen radishes?

My answer to your question is: the whole plamned danet.

The single bevel on your folding kamisori looks like it’s made for a right-handed barber to use on customers or a left-handed bon-vivant giving one’s self a shave. They appear this way to me because; in my ignorance; I’m generalizing what I’ve seen in katsuramuki videos and applying it human flesh. For what are we as a species but quasi sentient, misshapen radishes?
Your right Thom. Veggies do like a screaming apex. Sharp is the path to success.

Friday April 23
Ten minute tepid shower
Atlas 1000 Swedish Steel Japanese Kamasori Blade
Fatip Gold Grande - Feather
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

Peeking over the edge of the rabbit hole. Got sucked into the vortex. That was five days ago. Like DE and Western SR’s. Early going you can hardly wait for the next shave. Always prided myself as a silvertip dude. There is a top dog, I mean hog in the herd. The Zenith‘s brush performance is the best I’ve experienced. As much fun as these shaves are, lather drying out could have been an issue. I need to be careful between strokes. That takes time. Soap and brush combination handles all challenges seamlessly.

At my honing skill. This blade is next level sharpness for me. Last shave I must have touched the apex against an immovable object. From naked eye visibility to just slightly apparent at 10x. A little dent. Balsa with .1 diamond paste, (Trailing strokes 10:1). Poly, fire hose, and linen strops followed by four leathers and five hundred or so laps. A real screamer. Why I love straights. It’s the details.

There was no guessing with my first Kamasori shave. The blade moved with a power I haven’t felt from any of my nine other straights. Sharpness and smoothness outstanding. Excellent skin comfort. The grail.

A changed opinion from research reading and my first shave. Traditionally a Kamasori is to be used one sided. At the end of my first shave I re lathered my cheeks to try the bottom or Omote side. It sucked. The razor was closer to a ninety degree angle than not. That type of angle resides in the realm of scrapping. Even if the blade is sharp that’s what it feels like. Not comfortable. You can play with the honing ratios as many do to make the shallow angle more comfortable. Begs the question. Could it be as comfortable as the top Ura bevel side? Short answer. No way. I rest my case. I’m a traditional Bonze.

You can hone a standard western two sided bevel onto a Kamasori blade. Some do. I can’t imagine what the razors balance would feel like. The physical fact is. One half of the blade is heavier than the other half which really isn’t there. You can also get a Kamasori with full western double bevel. To me just like my Kamasori is neither traditional nor a western but a hybrid. I thought it might be the best of both worlds but to me it is not. I look forward to shaving with a traditional Kamasori. At that time I will be able to make a judgment on a traditional Kamasori blade. Using a hybrid in the meantime will get me more acquainted with the blade design. Not how to shave with a Kamasori. In my humble inexperienced opinion. Why not use a design in its most effective and efficient way. My shaving experience with all methods I’ve tried. Highest shave efficiency has always equaled highest comfort. Why do something with less comfort? A newbies random thoughts and inexperienced opinions.

Todays shave was let’s use the scales more like a handle. I prevailed and finished the shave without using any western grips. The only ones I know. I found the scales too mobile to use for the most part. I predominantly hung on to the tang. It’s beefy but not comfortable. My next shave I will go back to the combination western grips and improvise grips on the strokes when I need to. Today’s shave was closer than the first one but not as smooth due to me doing grips for the first time. I got one little bloodless nick in the same hood again. Left side of my face along the chin. I get with they mean when saying good side and bad side. Going to reset the counter. Stop the western SR count at 32. This is number 2 Kamasori shave. I need to get a traditional Kamasori blade was the outcome of this shave. Grips and angles will increase from what is available with western scales. Face and head shave completed with great skin comfort. The 120hr shave schedule is working out well.

I did not feel that little dent one way or the other. Near the toe of the blade which I do all the trimming with. I’m going to to take it it through an 8 & 12K and maybe give the Cnat a shot. If the 8k doesn’t clean the dent in a a half dozen strokes I’ll drop to the 3K.

Bay Rum has been something I’ve wanted to try from reading about it on the forum. I got the small bottle of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. I don’t use after shave much anymore. I put plenty of stuff on my face and head. The products I’ve used have worked well in keeping my skin looking and feeling healthy. I will use a little after shave on my chest to enjoy the fragrance. The Bay Rum has a very strong clove note. My first thought was Dentist, than Christmas, and baking. Two out of three ain’t bad. It is stronger than I thought. My wife walked in and I asked her opinion. She was thinking I said dentist and she said cloves. It does pop. I’ll see how I feel about in the morning.

Edit Note: The reason I started and continue to journal. If I write stuff out it helps it jell and hopefully deepens my understanding. Gents kind enough to comment or open discussion always help in a better understanding. Now with my case here. The dreaded Omote Ura discussion. There are many references which are incorrect all over the net and right here in B&B starting with mine. I double and triple checked a few different sources and I had it backwards. The flat bottom of the blade is called Ura. The top bevel side of the blade is referred to as Omote. I have these incorrect in the last two postings. I will use the correct terms going forward.

Wednesday April 28
Ten minute tepid shower
Oumo 28/75 knot Badger Finest Two Band Fan
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

I took the Atlas through all the fabrics and all the leather. The poly and the fires hose all but eliminated a few of the tiniest spots on the bevel @10x. Leather probably got 500 plus laps. Arm hair check a real screamer. I like the blade it’s comfortable to handle in honing and stropping. The shaves with the blade are neither Western nor Kamasori. It is a mild profile Kamasori blade with western scales. By mild profile I mean the hollows ground on both sides are there but slight. The hump on Omote or bevel or top side of the blade is very slight. My guess blades Swedish steel and use of western scales probably were strong factors in the blade design. The razor has a very nice balance and nice to hold. The 10:1 traditional ratio bevel I set on it. I will be removing after tonights shave. I will put a 2:1 ratio on it. I will then be ale to use it western style with more comfort. To me this razor is a hybrid more than anything else. I will hone it and use it that way. A kinda Kamasori blade, kinda western ratio hone. Kinda like a Samurai with a limp.

I’ve purchased a New JAPANESE KAMISORI STRAIGHT RAZOR Inoue Tosuke Migaki (mn45). It is a NOS, even though new it will require a bevel set, same as the Atlas, and honing to shave ready. NOS razors are seldom found without oxide. I‘m hoping rust oxide marks are not too deep especially around the bevel. There are no guarantees. You don’t know until you start honing. The oxide marks on the bevel look small honing to shiny steel hopefully will not give up too much steel. Shipped from Japan I won’t count on seeing it before June. With luck it will be a decent blade. I will then be able to comment on a traditional Kamasori blade and shave.

My third Kamasori-hybrid shave. The first shave I tried to use it western style. It didn’t work that well. The second shave I concentrated on holding the scales like a Kamasori handle, didn’t work to good. To nights shave I tried to combine the two. I did not like it. Laying the blade at the steep sweet angle the stroke has a strong slicing feel to it. The slicing blade moved quickly and smoothly through a five day growth. The blades weight assists an effortless smooth glide. The smoothest razor to date for me. I got like six great strokes of that caliber through the shave. A good part of the shave was wrestling to find and maintain Ura or flat side of the blade next to skin. I prefer to use a 10:1 ratio blade traditionally. With only 32 western SR shaves and all the clowning around with angles. I’m going to loose what little western mo-jo I have. I will not use this blade again until I reset the bevel to a 2:1 ratio. I will than shave with it like any other western razor. If I don’t care for the blade feel of 2:1 I’ll set it to 1:1. As I’ve said earlier Omote is very slight on this blade. Going to a 1:1 will not likely rattle the blade feel. It has a heavy solid feel with good balance at all angles.

To nights face and head shave with improved skin comfort. The two band fan always fun to use. My biggest brush. Only the second nick from the Grande. I was thinking about the hybrid shave well cleaning up under the lip. One nick every year and a half, outstanding. Now if I could only do that with straights. Slightly more complicated.

I will get back to Kamasori shaving when the new blade arrives, eBay pics. An old design that doesn’t seem to be fading.

Attachments

• 54C8BB63-4AF7-4BB1-A8AB-26A38DA015A4.png
    54C8BB63-4AF7-4BB1-A8AB-26A38DA015A4.png
    10.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Tuesday May 4
Ten minute tepid shower
DsCosmetics Boar Knot 26x64mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
Hyaluranoic Acid

Continuing blade adventures with the Atlas. I reset the bevel ratio from 10:1 too 2:1. Naked eye visual. My absolute finest honing job. Benevolence of the honing Gods not a factor. Oxide devils ruled for hours. My honing practice includes various fabric and leather stropping sessions between stones. I continually check the apex often with a 10x loupe. Between 1k and 3k and 8K stropping sessions with fabric, polypropylene, and firehose. I got little chunks breaking out of the bevel at the apex. On the Omote bevel. My first thought. Stropping pressure too hard causing little chips to break out. On closer inspection stropping did uncover very slight latitudinal laminated scars running parallel with the apex. The scar would break open and a little chunk would kick out. Unmistakable little black oxide chunks under the laminated scar. Must be the same feeling as a lump of coal for Christmas. They were all small but visible @10x. Not wanting to go back-down a stone I would relax into a rhythm and slowly and methodically remove the rot. The finest polishing I’ve done, light repetitions got the best from every stone. The 8k did not have any breakouts. The 12k finest finish to date. The difference plenty of time and laps in, on every progression. The two or so hours I intended to spend stretched into six or so. Cannot help but think a blade laying static for so many years, may be a contributing factor to my workout. Through all the many strokes I never did a sharpness check. Excellent glistening parallel ribboned bevels show the 2:1 obvious at a glance. I did an arm hair check. Hairs pop off the apex on contact. Each side is a different bevel angle and very sharp. The lengthy honing was enjoyable. There is an underlying feeling of order when ratio honing. I don’t get that feeling with symmetrical honing. All the honing and stropping loosened the pivot pin. I snugged it up and did three other razors while I was at it.

There is no standard as to how theses blades are honed. Wether an accepted traditional 10:1 right up to and including a western 1:1 ratio. There is no, this is the best way. Each person will have a favourite ratio and go with it. I’ve read the same remarks about the traditional Kamisori razors. Of course there is probably a large group who lean into the Traditional 10:1. In my opinion I like and prefer the classic design and lines of the modern Kamisori blade with a 10:1 honed ratio. I also understand changing it, if it doesn’t work for you. If all shave decisions are based on comfort it usually works out good.

My right side will be shaved with the Ura bevel. Half the bevel width and shallower strokes than the left side Omote. My last shave with the Omote, long bevel side there was a distinct slicing rather than cutting sensation or feeling with the blade movement. Extremely smooth with improved skin comfort obvious. One of the reasons I went with a 2:1 ratio. I want to see if I can get that same smoothness out of a short ratio hone. If I cannot ascertain same or improved comfort I may put a 1:1 ratio on the blade.

Tracking has my NOS Kamasori razor out of Nagoya Japan, sitting in Belleville Ontario. Half hour away. Fast movement for a company edge in five days. I’ll put a traditional 10:1 ratio on it for my first Kamisori shave.

A 2:1 ratio is backwards for, “give him the old one two”. Ratio‘d humour. Fourth hybrid shave and more questions and answers. Unquestionably the sharpest edge I’ve felt ever. Ura and Omote both screamers. There was the difference in angles used. Omote steeper than Ura. Both were very comfortable and found seamlessly during the shave. I will be leaving the 2:1 ratio on to further explore the blade. It was a real treat just to shave without identifying blade sides. Something I will not do again. As hoped and expected Omote the wider bevel was noticeably smoother. Acid test for me. The traditional 10:1 ratio of the last shave was smoother. While the short 2:1 was smooth, a lot less than the 10:1. I’m a believer and look forward to my incoming Kamisori. The one pass WTG/XTG combo shave was closer to CS than DFS. A very light handed shave. If you’re thinking it was respect for the blade sharpness. Not at all. It was stark fear. I still managed the first little nick on my right cheek. North/South it must have been the square corner. I neither saw or felt it. Only a drop or two. Hopefully I’ll be honing a Traditional Kamisori by the weekend. One of my happy places.

Springtime shaves and Japanese razors deserve cherry blossoms. Our growing zone being too cold, best supports heartier Apple trees. I can offer Rhododendrons and Daffodils in the front yard. Happy Springtime Shaves.

Attachments

• D0AE62FC-0F94-491D-BA6B-92835C7296DE.jpeg
    D0AE62FC-0F94-491D-BA6B-92835C7296DE.jpeg
    15.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 2C839BA3-D96E-4344-AA21-58955BD41318.jpeg
    2C839BA3-D96E-4344-AA21-58955BD41318.jpeg
    15.7 MB · Views: 9
  • AF01ECC4-F34B-4933-8028-59F72DC0B34A.jpeg
    AF01ECC4-F34B-4933-8028-59F72DC0B34A.jpeg
    17.2 MB · Views: 9
I used to sharpened the blades on my electric Phillips Rotary shaver after every third shave. At one point for a time I used to strop my Gillette Cartridges. Always simple. Sharpest blades accomplished the most successful shaves. Lightest touch the other half of the equation. These shave pillars have remained constants for me with all shave methods. Sharp blades. Light touch. That’s it.

Journey: Something suggesting travel or passage from one place to another. How do you know when the journey is over? You really don’t if a destination was never specified. Most of the distance I travelled I didn’t even know I was on a journey. Phillips Rotary electric shaver was the start, fifty or so years ago. I strived like all dudes to get a close comfortable irritation free shave. A Fatip Gold Grande has provided comfortable consistency in BBS shaves for well over a year. My foray into straights was probably 60% honing and 40% shaves. An accomplished BBS shaver can only chase one thing. Improvement in comfort. There was a promise in learning straights. More shave comfort with straights and learning an added skill, honing blades. An accident, or mistake has me journaling my last scheduled posted shave. Tying off this part of my journal. My first Kamisori shave. I may post the odd shave going forward but not counted, scheduled or planned postings. I will never complete the shave journey there is too much to learn and experience. I am however at a destination. I will refine and work to improve the comfort I enjoy with my shaves.

Japanese blade design and refinement for a millennium. Has arguably produced some of the sharpest edged blades available. Using Japanese carbon steel blades in the kitchen or shave den. You can quickly develop a love for Japanese carbon steel. It comes with a few downsides, as most things do. Exquisite upsides, dismiss the accepted downsides. There is no perfection. Get as close as possible. My limited experience with Japanese carbon steel has me hooked.

Sometimes knowing what not to do can be very helpful. I used the right side of the Kamisori blade to shave the right side. The left side of my face I used the Ura and adjusted the blade angle accordingly. Trying to use the blade traditionally is too difficult for me. It also eliminates a WTG pass on my left side. No surprises the 10:1 ratio on either side of the blade performed as expected. The eleven day growth was not really noticeable. Both sides of the blade sliced through effortlessly. Omote used on the right side was smoother than Ura on the left. The blade and handle fit and rested very comfortably in my hand. I exclusively used my right hand. The grips and changing blade angles were comfortable and seamless. It did not feel like a first shave. You do need dry hands using this blade. My intention was to complete a one pass WTG close face shave. Probably my quickest SR shave. While the shave was complete I did not go for a DFS and I did not try any buffing or close under the nose trimming. I will go after those areas of the shave after I readjust the blade ratio. Of the nine western straights and the hybrid straight used so far. I prefer this blade. Wether honing, or shaving a Kamisori in one word intuitive. Going forward I’ll learn to fine tune the hone ratio and my face shave using a Kamisori.

Attachments

• E4A5E2EF-5D3C-4B28-9AA7-B9ED457A78DB.jpeg
    E4A5E2EF-5D3C-4B28-9AA7-B9ED457A78DB.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
I didn't know that there was a way to sharpen those Philishaves; that explains so much!
I don’t know if they still make them. Dummy blade head screens with an emery paper. Put the blades in, put the head back on. A few goose shots with the razor. All done in about thirty seconds. It was very effective and kept shaves as good as they could be. The shaver pictured was my second rotary. My dad used Remingtons and my brother used Braun. I did not like either of those head designs. You couldn’t sharpen the blades.

My first Kamisori shave, bevel ratio was honed 10:1 the second shave I changed it too 2:1 both ratios were finished on a 12K Naniawa. Going from the 10:1 down too 2:1, 3K & 8K was used before the 12K. Used three fabrics strops and four leather strops to finish and polish the edge, between four too five hundred strokes. Blade finished to hair popping sharpness. Apex contacting the hair, pops the hair forward with a jump. I checked the blade at toe, heel, and middle. Apex was on the money for sharp. I have felt smoother edges though.

The second shave. Too much blade to skin pressure, definitely part of the feel. That’s how the second shave went with a cheek cut and neck irritation thrown in.

For the third shave the blade ratio was changed from 2:1 too 3:1

I’ve worked with the Cnat on a few western SR edges. Not used enough to get a feel for the stone other than it’s a lot harder than the 12k. The 1200 Atoma for slurry has been effective. Since I was just bumping the ratio from 2:1 to 3:1. Minimum honing would be required. An opportunity to get more familiar with the Cnat. I used a 1K synthetic nagura flattener cleaner stone for slurry production. The slurry was finer than what the Atoma makes. Steel removed was surprisingly efficient, it did not take long for the short bump. A curiosity to try final finishing stone strokes under running water, was a satisfying experience. Blade and stone both, felt nice under running water. I liked the difference in feel, and finish was improved. Water visibly smoothed the stone finish, a more polished look and feel, on stone and blade. Starting to understand the draw to natural stones. God help me. I know I’ll be getting more natural stones.

Why do I like a Kamisori? Same first reason I like my Grande. Fits more comfortably with a neutral feel in hand compared to other razors I’ve tried. The physicality and design of the blade feels different. Shorter blade length a preference for me. Shorter than a western, longer than a DE. I continue to play around with grips and holds. There intuitive and easily found. The Kamisori blade cuts a tad smoother than western razors at hair popping sharpness. More comfort, and an increase in comfort available, once I figure out best ratio and finish for this blade. Honing, bevel ratios, and stones. Many dudes are into SR’s more for the hone than the shave. I might be one of them. If you need primal. Piece of steel and a rock. A Kamisori delivers that experience. There’s more options available with asymmetrical blades. Changing blade ratios, changes the blade angles in the shave. Set and change angles to your preferences, rather than adapt to what’s there. An expansion of options compared to symmetrical blades. All that and the buttery smoothness of Japanese carbon steel on stones. Why wouldn’t anyone want a Kamisori?

My shaving journey has me camped at an exciting destination. The House of Hone. There are a hundred doors. Every door a new adventure, a new learning experience. A Kamisori blade design allows you to play around more than you can with a symmetrical blade. I like that part, to me it’s more enjoyable.

Picture: The burnish on the edge is reflection, and the blade is oiled. It is a mirror finish. Very sharp. Best effort’s can only be judged on the shave. If ratio and finish aren’t right, adjustments are easily made. Infinite combinations available. I think of it like DE blade trials, times a thousand or so. There is no end.

8F8015D3-0C1C-439B-B385-FD4B389AFADD.jpeg

Judgement Day. The shave. One rule needs to be respected. Comfort. It really doesn’t matter how or what you shave with. Success is being on the right side of comfort. My second shave off the 12k I pushed the blade a little on my sensitive neck skin areas. Mr Alum barked at the effort. Hadn’t heard the bark in awhile. He continues to guard with bared teeth. Mantra pounding wildly in my head, Light Touch, Light Touch, Light Touch. Everything the same but different. Shave thinking has gone from soaps, brushes, and lathers to ratios, stone combinations and finishes. Everything meets at the apex. A kaleidoscope of pieces falling into place. I love shaving.

Chineses stone meets Japanese Steel. First try at a little more work on the Cnat and finishing strokes with running water. I hoped I would be able to distinguish the difference in feel from the 12K to the Cnat finish. I did feel a smoother finish. There’s an assist from a lighter touch this shave. The ratio change may have contributed as well. I continue to make slight improvements with the shave. Still learning and exploring angles and grips. No nicks and cuts is a good measure of progress. Back to zero neck irritation. Gaining a little more comfort with the blade and the 3:1 ratio felt good on shave angles, both sides of the blade. I will strop the blade until I deem a touch up necessary. I’ll maybe play around with ratio changes again. I’ll have a better idea after a few more shaves. I do enjoy honing on the Cnat. I have much to learn on that stone. I do prefer honing and shaving with the Kamisori. I want to be an accomplished Kamisori shaver before using the western straights again. Great comfort with tonights face and head shave.
Happy Shaves Gents

Although my journey continues it definitely is at a very slow pace. There is no search for products or equipment. I have what I need. A 7/8 > 1” Kamisori blade will likely be my final razor purchase. I’ve always wanted a Kit. The desert island kit. Vito’s shave soap, Fatip Gold Grande, Feather (single use), Zenith 28mm Stubby Chubby Boar hair brush. My dream kit accomplishes excellent comfortable shaves each and every time. Nobody is perfect, but I strive for perfection with each shave.

The unanticipated foray into straights gave me different views and deeper appreciation for all aspects of the shave. An accidental purchase got me shaving with a Kamasori blade. Straights western or Japanese are the second half of the straight shave. Honing is the first half. Exclusive single use DE blades pigeon holes you into a zone where pretty sharp doesn’t do it for your shave. My first tries with a Feather were harsh uncomfortable shaves. Todays shave with a Feather DE was blissfully smooth with excellent comfort. Feather didn’t make the blades duller. My technique improved and continues to improve.

My honing is catching up to my shaving abilities. The improved sharpness is accompanied with smoothness that moves into the territory I’m used to with the Feather. Easily compared with both blades used in every shave. My Kamasori one pass face shave is still at DFS. Eight shaves with the blade. A trial on three different blade ratios honed. I used a 5:3 ratio for today’s shave and as I’ve commented noticeably smoother. I was happy with the 5:3 ratio. I am starting to un-choke my grip on the blade using more of the handle. The strokes with the blade are feeling better, the angles feel more natural and it’s easier to lighten up on skin contact. This blade is in the 5/8“ width range. I am hoping for an improvement in shave comfort with a larger blade width. That was the out come for me with westerns.

The blade is stropped on balsa .1 diamond paste between shaves. I continue to explore both sides of my Cnat. I’m not in a hurry to acquire more stones. The Cnat has exceeded my expectations or honing is improving. I have pared down in both hard and soft ware. I kinda consider myself a minimalist at this point. I don’t know if seven brushes bounces you out as a minimalist. My only indulgence after basic kit, plus four western razors. I will post Updates when I get a second Kamisori blade.
Happy Shaves

Nice to see you back posting John.
Thanks Mike. I can’t post anything on the Grande that I haven’t said ten different ways. I’m not trying any new products. The honing and Kamisori blade flies into action four to five times a month. I’m short on new stuff happening. I’m not complaining shave comfort is the best of my life. It seems and feels to me that my Kamisori journey is in slow-mo. I hope that’s a good thing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks Mike. I can’t post anything on the Grande that I haven’t said ten different ways. I’m not trying any new products. The honing and Kamisori blade flies into action four to five times a month. I’m short on new stuff happening. I’m not complaining shave comfort is the best of my life.

I was in much the same boat, until I fell out of it lol.

Bullet Tip, fresh blade. Five weepers, per shave for the next two shaves. Maybe I need to try something else. My Grande and a Derby Extra never fails me! Three weepers and my left swirl a bloody mess. Well, damn... On to my Slim and a Derby set on 6. Two weepers and tore up my left side swirl again. Maybe I need a Perma-Sharp? No, Sir. I did not. Weeper city.

Finally, last night, partly in a fit of induced lunacy, I think it wise to dust off the NEW SC, load a fresh Derby Extra and have a go at ~80 hours worth. Four weepers around my mouth and 3 more left side swirl.

https _bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_f7100524...jpeg

I may need help, but I'm not sure a Roedter is the right kind lol

My Regent and a Perma-Sharp got me out of the water. No issues with my Bullet Tip the last two shaves so, the paddling continues haha.

Top Bottom