What's new

Gawith Hoggarth loose tobacco packaging

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm finishing off repacking yesterday's order of loose tobaccos into 12.5g Mylar packets, to help keep it fresh and smokeable as I work my way through it. I wanted to share a couple of pics of the packaging, as it's not something most of you will see.

IMG_20230317_135355.jpg

Here's the outside of the pouch, with a less gory sample of the mandatory health warnings. It's clearly Gawith Hoggarth packaging though, bearing the branding horizontally and vertically.

IMG_20230317_135409.jpg

If we flip it over, the inside of the flap is blank, and the pocket has yet more health warnings... but ... it also has other tobacco brands too...

IMG_20230317_135419.jpg

IMG_20230317_135429.jpg

Am I the only one confused...?

We all know that Sammy G is part of the same company, but MacBaren? Rattray's? McConnell? Peterson? Two of those (Rattray's and McConnell) are currently not even being resupplied to UK retailers due to some Brexit related huff, from what I understand. I think Solani might be the same, although that's not on this packet. So what's the link here?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm finishing off repacking yesterday's order of loose tobaccos into 12.5g Mylar packets, to help keep it fresh and smokeable as I work my way through it. I wanted to share a couple of pics of the packaging, as it's not something most of you will see.

View attachment 1622485

Here's the outside of the pouch, with a less gory sample of the mandatory health warnings. It's clearly Gawith Hoggarth packaging though, bearing the branding horizontally and vertically.

View attachment 1622484

If we flip it over, the inside of the flap is blank, and the pocket has yet more health warnings... but ... it also has other tobacco brands too...

View attachment 1622482

View attachment 1622483

We all know that Sammy G is part of the same company, but MacBaren? Rattray's? McConnell? Peterson? Two of those (Rattray's and McConnell) are currently not even being resupplied to UK retailers due to some Brexit related huff, from what I understand. I think Solani might be the same, although that's not on this packet. So what's the link here?

I’d immediately jar or bag them up, if only to get them out of that horrid packaging.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

View attachment 1622485

View attachment 1622484

View attachment 1622482

View attachment 1622483

Probably some reciprocal advertising going on.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Probably some reciprocal advertising going on.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing.

I know Gawith has made some snuffs either for, or in conjuntion with Poschl in the past, and at one point were supposedly making Hyde Park for Peterson. MacBaren? I think they make the Revor Plug for Gawith. No clue as to the possible tie in with the others though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’d immediately jar or bag them up, if only to get them out of that horrid packaging.

That's precisely what I'm doing. I seal them all in Mylar pouches in small portions, so there's only ever 1/4 of a tin (or equivalent) open at a time. This is just the pouches for loose tobacco, but factory sealled pouches and tins aren't any better these days.

Remember the hunting scene artwork that was on a tin of Grousemoor? Well these days it looks like this...

IMG_20230317_153527.jpg

So even though I do have some tins tucked away in shoeboxes, when it's time to open them, 1/4 of it will go in a small glass jar, and the rest split up and sealed in three Mylar pouches for opening (again) at a later date.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What does a hole burned into someone’s crotch have to do with quitting smoking? I’ve had some cherries from lit cigarettes fall into my crotch while driving down the highway which always necessitates a few seconds of urgent squirming and slapping, but I never burned a hole in my crotch.

I just noticed the impotence part. I never had that issue, maybe I would have if I actually burned a hole in my crotch. But everything has always worked.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

View attachment 1622485

View attachment 1622484

View attachment 1622482

View attachment 1622483

No idea on why those other brands would be on the packaging...but I'm with Columbo, that packaging is awful.

The next tobacco tin I buy that has that stuff on it, I plan to print a large gummed label with a silhouette of a man (Sherlock Holmes, perhaps) smoking a pipe, and stick the label over the scare section. Or a pic of Jeremy Brett as Holmes holding a pipe.

Did you buy direct from Gawith or through a tobacconist? Toobacconists often have packs like that with several brands on them.

The awful pictures we just have to get used to in the UK!

Gareth

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Did you buy direct from Gawith or through a tobacconist? Toobacconists often have packs like that with several brands on them.

The awful pictures we just have to get used to in the UK!

Gareth

A tobacconist. However, apart from a few Sam G blends, none of the others shown on the pouch are available loose, so far as I'm aware.

Top Bottom