What's new

Gave up on DE Razors

What I was thinking, since my Merkur 23c is a long handle, what if I get a razor with a shorter handle, will that make a difference in having better control with the razor when shaving? Also, I watched a few shaving videos today, and I noticed that the person is using pre-shave before each pass. maybe that's something I could use.

I was thinking how about the Rockwell Adjustable Butterfly Razor.

I am not giving up actually, I was just frustrated about my shaves.

Man, I have been down that road more than once, however the good news is that your road may lead you back to DE shaving in the future.

I started out as teenager when the Gillette Sensor was the best shave available, and I still managed to find a way to nick my neck and chin. I used cartridges for a solid 10 years but could not stomach the expense of blowing through one every few days (or even a week). For the cost of 8 months of blades and foam, I could buy a Braun Series 9 shaver (which for me, gave BBS shaves every time in about 3 minutes) and never sink another dollar into shaving thereafter and get quality results with zero irritation or cuts.

However, it was soulless shaving.

I used that shaver for about 4 years until it died, and it did not owe me a thing. However, I did not want to get back into cartridges, shell shocked by the sticker price for even a 4 pack of blades - and they didn't make the atra plus blades anymore so I didn't even have an economical way out. That is when I got into DE shaving - I could buy a years worth of DE blades for the price of one month of Mach3 Turbo cartridges. However, I carved up my face like a Christmas Turkey on a regular basis when I started, trying to utilize old cartridge skills on new DE gear. I tried several blades, soaps and razors trying to get as close and fast as my Series 9, but I could never do it. So I gave up and dropped coin on a new Braun 9.

A couple years later, I decided to give DE shaving another shot, as I truly enjoyed the challenge and skill of getting a good shave. However, I walked in with a different mindset. Wet shaving is slow, methodical, thoughtful, and enjoyable. With todays options, there is little utility in it (other than cost savings) - it is about the process of learning and experimenting. Though I managed to reduce my facial carnage, I still could not get that close shave that I could get from my shaver. After using a Mergress razor for a bit, I realized I was too aggressive with my shaving, I needed to dial down, lighten up, and change the pattern in how I shaved. You don't know what you don't know, so sometimes a break gives you time to reflect - and when you come back, you are ready.

You will always have a home here, and when you are ready, we are here to help on that journey!

Good luck, Sir!

Pretty much what others said - do what works for you. While I do have a lot of friends, which I've met online that shave with DE, SE and straight razors, absolutely no one of my irl friends doesn't shave with anything, but cartridges, electric razors or they just use trimmers or hair clippers. They also have absolutely zero issues and complains and I just don't bother them with my way of doing things.

I kinda feel the same about straight razors to some degree. I can shave with them, but the shaving itself isn't enjoyable or as pleasant as I would want it to be and although the razors I use were honed by people who know exactly what they are doing, they still don't feel crazy sharp or perhaps straight razors are just not as sharp as razor blades are and that's what bothers me, who knows? Another possibility is that I'm still kinda new and I maybe need some more time. Whatever the reason is, I will definitely spend more time with them on the in the future and I won't give up, but not anytime soon though.

Yeah I did notice that my razor unscrews mid shave and I have to screw it back

Dude! This is good news: IT'S NOT YOU. Your unscrewing razor is likely the reason why you're experiencing bad shaves and cuts. Even if the razor unscrews only a tiny bit, this will immediately influence the blade angle and make your supposedly 'mild' razor a lot more aggressive. Pair that with some of the sharpest blades on the market and not a whole lot of experience and you've got a bloody problem.

Seriously, get another safety razor. How long have you used this one? Could you contact the store and return it or maybe get a steep discount on another razor? I'd give that a try because a safety razor isn't supposed to unscrew itself mid-shave. Good luck!

What I was thinking, since my Merkur 23c is a long handle, what if I get a razor with a shorter handle, will that make a difference in having better control with the razor when shaving?

Yes, people who have that same razor head with long and short handles (like those who own both the 23C and the 34C) do report better shaves with the razor with a shorter handle. But that's also because the handle on the 23C is reportedly quite slim.

However, the most important thing is a non-faulty razor.

Also, I watched a few shaving videos today, and I noticed that the person is using pre-shave before each pass. maybe that's something I could use.

A pre-shave balm or oil could definitely help prevent razor burn and irritation.

I was thinking how about the Rockwell Adjustable Butterfly Razor.

I'm sure the experienced people here can advise you. The Rockwell model most often advised to me as a beginner was the 6C though.

I am not giving up actually, I was just frustrated about my shaves.

Yeah, I got that. Hang in there! I think better shaves are coming :)

Dude! This is good news: IT'S NOT YOU. Your unscrewing razor is likely the reason why you're experiencing bad shaves and cuts. Even if the razor unscrews only a tiny bit, this will immediately influence the blade angle and make your supposedly 'mild' razor a lot more aggressive. Pair that with some of the sharpest blades on the market and not a whole lot of experience and you've got a bloody problem.

Seriously, get another safety razor. How long have you used this one? Could you contact the store and return it or maybe get a steep discount on another razor? I'd give that a try because a safety razor isn't supposed to unscrew itself mid-shave. Good luck!

I’ve used this one since 2020 (Summer). But I’ve dropped it a few times. Is that reason why?

Giving up on DE Razors

So today is the last day that I’m going to shave with a DE razor. I gave it many chances and did a few changes like changing soap getting razor blade samples and getting a new shaving brush. Today after my shaving I got the same result as I always do, with nicks, cuts, face burning, leftover stubble on my chin and neck area. Not to mention that I still see beard shadow on my neck, chin and upper lip area with red patches.. so I’m either going back to carts or getting the trac II.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but what I’m doing, it’s not working.

Shaving soap: Proraso white tube
Razor: Merkur 23c
Razor blade: Gillette 7’Oclock super platinum
Shaving brush: Fendrihan Synthetic
Pre-shave: Proraso white cream
Aftershave: Nivea alcohol free, Cerave AM Facial Moisturizer.

Sample Blades: Gillette 7’Oclock PermaSharp, Gillette 7’Oclock Super Platinum, Nacet, Gillette Premium, Merkur, Lord silver blue
Sorry to see anyone return to carts. But, I own a Trac II it’s solid as those things go as is the Atra.

My guess is your applying pressure and not letting the weight of the razor do the work. The 23c (and I own one) is rather light but it still provides its own pressure just from head weight.

Personally I’ve been DE shaving for 40 years so it’s second nature but I do own a Trac II, Atra and a couple of Schick injectors. If any of those gets used I still have to remind myself to use no pressure.

Regardless good luck to you.

Sounds to me like it might be the angle of approach as to the essential problem. Try "riding the cap" (keeping the handle as far away from the face as possible so that the blade is almost parallel to the skin) and see if this helps. Other secondary issues are the blade or lather you may be using.

The SLOC razors from Italian Barber are pretty forgiving. I might suggest one of these with whatever DE blade you've found works better than the others. For me, a KAI DE blade did the trick as it is a little bit wider.

Angle is very important. With a cart razor, the angle is determined by the razor. This can be good and not so good, leading to unexplained nicks (I used to use Atras many years ago). With most safety razors, the user controls the angle, which can lead to a closer, smoother shave through experience. As to the occasional nick, hopefully, one can see why this occurred, and learn from it, which is not possible with carts having a spring controlling things in the head of the razor. Weepers I would consign to either the blade or the lather being used, in addition to blade angle.

Last edited:
I’ve used this one since 2020 (Summer). But I’ve dropped it a few times. Is that reason why?

...I sincerely hope you haven't been dealing with nicks, weepers, micro-cuts, irritation and bad shaves for 2 solid years.:eek2:

Well, did the razor shave milder prior to dropping it? I can't imagine how dropping it would affect the screw mechanism actually, especially if nothing broke off.

I'm just thinking, what would make the screw-mechanism a bit stiffer so the razor stays 100% closed during a shave and you could test this theory. Like, you wouldn't need a glue or a grease exactly, but something dirty/sticky/dusty. Like maybe sticking a piece of duct-tape to the screw under the cap and sticking it on there repeatedly before taking the tape off. Check if there's enough sticky residue on the screw before screwing the razor closed tight (with a medium-sharp blade in it, like a normal Gillette Platinum). Something like that.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just angle but I have found it is easier to get the right angle using a SE Gem style razor as the angle is more built in to the design - though I don't do the lay it flat against the face demo that is in the old ads

...I sincerely hope you haven't been dealing with nicks, weepers, micro-cuts, irritation and bad shaves for 2 solid years.:eek2:

Well, did the razor shave milder prior to dropping it? I can't imagine how dropping it would affect the screw mechanism actually, especially if nothing broke off.

I'm just thinking, what would make the screw-mechanism a bit stiffer so the razor stays 100% closed during a shave and you could test this theory. Like, you wouldn't need a glue or a grease exactly, but something dirty/sticky/dusty. Like maybe sticking a piece of duct-tape to the screw under the cap and sticking it on there repeatedly before taking the tape off. Check if there's enough sticky residue on the screw before screwing the razor closed tight (with a medium-sharp blade in it, like a normal Gillette Platinum). Something like that.

Actually I didn’t notice any of that till at least 2 months ago

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Man, I have been down that road more than once, however the good news is that your road may lead you back to DE shaving in the future.

I started out as teenager when the Gillette Sensor was the best shave available, and I still managed to find a way to nick my neck and chin. I used cartridges for a solid 10 years but could not stomach the expense of blowing through one every few days (or even a week). For the cost of 8 months of blades and foam, I could buy a Braun Series 9 shaver (which for me, gave BBS shaves every time in about 3 minutes) and never sink another dollar into shaving thereafter and get quality results with zero irritation or cuts.

However, it was soulless shaving.

I used that shaver for about 4 years until it died, and it did not owe me a thing. However, I did not want to get back into cartridges, shell shocked by the sticker price for even a 4 pack of blades - and they didn't make the atra plus blades anymore so I didn't even have an economical way out. That is when I got into DE shaving - I could buy a years worth of DE blades for the price of one month of Mach3 Turbo cartridges. However, I carved up my face like a Christmas Turkey on a regular basis when I started, trying to utilize old cartridge skills on new DE gear. I tried several blades, soaps and razors trying to get as close and fast as my Series 9, but I could never do it. So I gave up and dropped coin on a new Braun 9.

A couple years later, I decided to give DE shaving another shot, as I truly enjoyed the challenge and skill of getting a good shave. However, I walked in with a different mindset. Wet shaving is slow, methodical, thoughtful, and enjoyable. With todays options, there is little utility in it (other than cost savings) - it is about the process of learning and experimenting. Though I managed to reduce my facial carnage, I still could not get that close shave that I could get from my shaver. After using a Mergress razor for a bit, I realized I was too aggressive with my shaving, I needed to dial down, lighten up, and change the pattern in how I shaved. You don't know what you don't know, so sometimes a break gives you time to reflect - and when you come back, you are ready.

You will always have a home here, and when you are ready, we are here to help on that journey!

Good luck, Sir!
That was a very thoughtful and insightful reply.

Exactly! As a DE beginner I've found this to be a serious mental obstacle to overcome.
I only do 2 passes....max. For a few years and if I shave daily, I only do 1 WTG. If I skip a day, I do a WTG and an ATG and I'm done. My normal routine is every other day, 2 pass, nothing on weekend.

The biggest mistake new shavers make, myself included years ago, too many passes. You don't need to do 4, 5 or 6 passes.

I only do 2 passes....max. For a few years and if I shave daily, I only do 1 WTG. If I skip a day, I do a WTG and an ATG and I'm done. My normal routine is every other day, 2 pass, nothing on weekend.

The biggest mistake new shavers make, myself included years ago, too many passes. You don't need to do 4, 5 or 6 passes.

My main issue is my neck, chin and up upper lip area. My neck area, the hair grows in different directions so it’s hard to do WTG and AGT pass

My main issue is my neck, chin and up upper lip area. My neck area, the hair grows in different directions so it’s hard to do WTG and AGT pass
A WTG pass is not always N to S.

My WTG will be different directions, depending on where on my face or neck I'm shaving. Same if I do an ATG. Actually, I don't do any ATG on my chin or upper lip.

You need map out your beard direction to see what directions different areas grow. Most peoples face and neck growth direction won't all be N to S.

A WTG pass is not always N to S.

My WTG will be different directions, depending on where on my face or neck I'm shaving. Same if I do an ATG. Actually, I don't do any ATG on my chin or upper lip.

You need map out your beard direction to see what directions different areas grow. Most peoples face and neck growth direction won't all be N to S.

Well most shaving videos I’ve seen on YouTube they all do 1st pass downwards in the neck area and 2nd pass upwards in the neck area

Also I don’t know how to map out my beard hair growth on my neck

Well most shaving videos I’ve seen on YouTube they all do 1st pass downwards in the neck area and 2nd pass upwards in the neck area

Also I don’t know how to map out my beard hair growth on my neck
Stop watching others shave. It's not your face and they have likely been doing it for years.

To map your hair growth ...just let it grow a few days when you have the ability to NOT shave. Take note of the directions that different areas grow, you'll be able to see it easily. You can memorize it, take pics or make notes. Once you get in the routine, you don't even have to think about what directions it grows.

You should also just try WTG passes for a while. Then progress to XTG (across the grain, NOT against). Work you way up to ATG, once you are comfortable and getting no irritation. ATG is not for everyone, it doesn't mean you are any less a man if you can't do it or choose not to.

A good WTG pass or 2 WTG passes, goes a long way and is much more enjoyable than a bloody and irritation filled ATG.

Top Bottom