What's new

Gave up on DE Razors

Giving up on DE Razors

So today is the last day that I’m going to shave with a DE razor. I gave it many chances and did a few changes like changing soap getting razor blade samples and getting a new shaving brush. Today after my shaving I got the same result as I always do, with nicks, cuts, face burning, leftover stubble on my chin and neck area. Not to mention that I still see beard shadow on my neck, chin and upper lip area with red patches.. so I’m either going back to carts or getting the trac II.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but what I’m doing, it’s not working.

Shaving soap: Proraso white tube
Razor: Merkur 23c
Razor blade: Gillette 7’Oclock super platinum
Shaving brush: Fendrihan Synthetic
Pre-shave: Proraso white cream
Aftershave: Nivea alcohol free, Cerave AM Facial Moisturizer.

Sample Blades: Gillette 7’Oclock PermaSharp, Gillette 7’Oclock Super Platinum, Nacet, Gillette Premium, Merkur, Lord silver blue

I too was thinking a better, more aggressive razor could solve this, but I understand your frustration. Proraso white cream + a Gillette super platinum 7oc should be a nice slick/sharp combo. I'm sorry things aren't working out.

I'm not sure how to sway you without advising you to spend another $70 on a razor.
Henson Medium
Razorock Gamechanger 84
etc.

Giving up on DE Razors

So today is the last day that I’m going to shave with a DE razor. I gave it many chances and did a few changes like changing soap getting razor blade samples and getting a new shaving brush. Today after my shaving I got the same result as I always do, with nicks, cuts, face burning, leftover stubble on my chin and neck area. Not to mention that I still see beard shadow on my neck, chin and upper lip area with red patches.. so I’m either going back to carts or getting the trac II.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but what I’m doing, it’s not working.

Shaving soap: Proraso white tube
Razor: Merkur 23c
Razor blade: Gillette 7’Oclock super platinum
Shaving brush: Fendrihan Synthetic
Pre-shave: Proraso white cream
Aftershave: Nivea alcohol free, Cerave AM Facial Moisturizer.

Sample Blades: Gillette 7’Oclock PermaSharp, Gillette 7’Oclock Super Platinum, Nacet, Gillette Premium, Merkur, Lord silver blue
Ok.

so I’m either going back to carts or getting the trac II.
Buy a Trac II and keep the brush and soap.

If you get nicks and weepers with a NON pivoting disposable razor like a Trac II, it’s probably some technique issue or a defective razor.

If you don’t get nicks and weepers with a Trac II, probably you have a defective razor. I know people who didn’t get a good shave with a DE because they get a razor blade alignment problems, etc.

I own DE and SR razors, but none beat the quality and efficiency of my Wilkinson Sword Protector 3...and the wires in front of the blades help ensure no irritation cuts or nicks. -A brilliant razor

Giving up on DE Razors. So today is the last day that I’m going to shave with a DE razor. I gave it many chances and did a few changes like changing soap getting razor blade samples and getting a new shaving brush. Today after my shaving I got the same result as I always do, with nicks, cuts, face burning, leftover stubble on my chin and neck area. Not to mention that I still see beard shadow on my neck, chin and upper lip area with red patches..

That's so sad! 😕 Here are my 2 cents (and as a newbie, my advice is worth exactly that much): Before I posted on B&B, I was having your results. It was pretty bad, actually. Since getting some great advice, I haven't cut myself once. My old cuts and scars are healing nicely as we speak.

The solution in my case was 80% razor, 20% technique. I'm writing this because I noticed you never tried another razor. I could have changed everything about my shaving routine, but I would still be cutting myself if I had stuck with my razor. Have you considered that maybe the razor is faulty somehow? It's probably a long shot.

RAZOR: The razor I kept cutting myself with has what people here on B&B have described as 'chatter' and 'vibration'. That results in both cuts and bad shaving results. I've seen someone describe exactly what I noticed as well, that it was a little too easy to press the visible piece of the blade (blade reveal) down with a fingernail while the blade was in the razor. (So, the blade support wasn't the best.) Are you sure your razor clamps the blade tightly enough to prevent this? If the razor is somehow faulty or can't be screwed closed tight enough, a loose blade could wreak havoc on your skin.

I don't own a Merkur 23C, but I've read in reviews that it can unscrew itself during use. That would be bad. You really shouldn't be able to cut yourself that badly with a non-faulty, properly screwed closed 23C.

TECHNIQUE: I got the advice to use a safer angle in sensitive spots. You can play with a shallow or steep angle. I always tried to keep the angle exactly neutral but for sensitive spots going in 'blade first' isn't ideal. I've learned to ride the cap or ride the guard more, depending on location and not to move my wrist too much, keeping the arm steady. Also: I sometimes used a little too much pressure and didn't tighten skin everywhere in an optimal way. Don't use pressure. Guide the razor, but don't press it down into your skin, ever.

By the way: most of these blades are fantastic, but not recommended for beginners. PermaSharp especially is an ultra-sharp blade (sharper than a Feather on 2nd use) and the 7'O Clock Super Platinum and Nacet are also considered more advanced blades. I'm not sure about 2 of the blade names listed, I think those are mixed up, but The Merkur blade is the opposite: too mild for many men to properly shave with. It probably doesn't matter. One of the blades should have worked for you, especially if the razor is mild enough. But if your particular razor were to unscrew itself during use and you were to have a 2nd use PermaSharp in there, that would probably hurt.

If you can borrow a different safety razor (dunk it in alcohol or hot water) or maybe try one that has good reviews you could troubleshoot whether or not the razor was at fault. But if you -understandably- don't want to subject your face to any more torture, I wish you many good shaves with a different type of razor. Good luck!

Some men pre 1970's never shaved with a DE when available solutions were fewer than today. You gave it your best effort and it isn't working out. No need to keep going unless you want to. There are many options available and not every solution is right for everyone.

That's so sad! 😕 Here are my 2 cents (and as a newbie, my advice is worth exactly that much): Before I posted on B&B, I was having your results. It was pretty bad, actually. Since getting some great advice, I haven't cut myself once. My old cuts and scars are healing nicely as we speak.

The solution in my case was 80% razor, 20% technique. I'm writing this because I noticed you never tried another razor. I could have changed everything about my shaving routine, but I would still be cutting myself if I had stuck with my razor. Have you considered that maybe the razor is faulty somehow? It's probably a long shot.

RAZOR: The razor I kept cutting myself with has what people here on B&B have described as 'chatter' and 'vibration'. That results in both cuts and bad shaving results. I've seen someone describe exactly what I noticed as well, that it was a little too easy to press the visible piece of the blade (blade reveal) down with a fingernail while the blade was in the razor. (So, the blade support wasn't the best.) Are you sure your razor clamps the blade tightly enough to prevent this? If the razor is somehow faulty or can't be screwed closed tight enough, a loose blade could wreak havoc on your skin.

I don't own a Merkur 23C, but I've read in reviews that it can unscrew itself during use. That would be bad. You really shouldn't be able to cut yourself that badly with a non-faulty, properly screwed closed 23C.

TECHNIQUE: I got the advice to use a safer angle in sensitive spots. You can play with a shallow or steep angle. I always tried to keep the angle exactly neutral but for sensitive spots going in 'blade first' isn't ideal. I've learned to ride the cap or ride the guard more, depending on location and not to move my wrist too much, keeping the arm steady. Also: I sometimes used a little too much pressure and didn't tighten skin everywhere in an optimal way. Don't use pressure. Guide the razor, but don't press it down into your skin, ever.

By the way: most of these blades are fantastic, but not recommended for beginners. PermaSharp especially is an ultra-sharp blade (sharper than a Feather on 2nd use) and the 7'O Clock Super Platinum and Nacet are also considered more advanced blades. I'm not sure about 2 of the blade names listed, I think those are mixed up, but The Merkur blade is the opposite: too mild for many men to properly shave with. It probably doesn't matter. One of the blades should have worked for you, especially if the razor is mild enough. But if your particular razor were to unscrew itself during use and you were to have a 2nd use PermaSharp in there, that would probably hurt.

If you can borrow a different safety razor (dunk it in alcohol or hot water) or maybe try one that has good reviews you could troubleshoot whether or not the razor was at fault. But if you -understandably- don't want to subject your face to any more torture, I wish you many good shaves with a different type of razor. Good luck!

Yeah I did notice that my razor unscrews mid shave and I have to screw it back

Sounds like some or all of these possibilities: Too much pressure, an inappropriate blade angle, and not loading the blade and tightening down the head of the razor properly.

Reactions: Kix
At the end of the day use what works best for you.

It does sound like a combo of too much pressure and incorrect cutting angle though. Unlike a cartridge and electric you are responsible for maintaining the correct angle for every contour of your face. A more aggressive razor will allow more leeway in cutting angle but is that teaching proper technique? Also no matter how close I shave, I still see beard shadow.

I can only compare my own experience. Cuts and irritation and left over whiskers were due to too much pressure, thick lather, expecting too much from a pass or two, and too aggressive a razor. (I actually have compared razors with the same blade and always get a closer shave with the milder one. Strange, but true!) I always get jumping on the first pass (unless it’s a brand new blade) and my instincts tell me the razor isn’t shaving. I have learned not to give into the temptation to press harder, and I am always surprised to find on the second pass that my razor did some significant shaving.

Again, this is me, and may not help you. I always get a good shave with a Trac II if that’s the way you go. I agree, you’ll get better results if you use the soap and brush with it. (The Leaf Twig might give similar results.) Best wishes!

I feel your pain, literally and metaphorically. But I will persevere.

The biggest challenge I find is applying ‘no pressure’ as when I do, the razor seems to skip/not glide along the stubble.

I'm of the belief that many problems people have while shaving come down to a problem with their lather. The thing I've noticed with a synthetic shaving brush is that it's very easy to get lather that looks really good and still provides little cushion during a shave. If you're interesting in trying again, I would say that it might be worthwhile to use a lot more shaving soap or cream and a little less water in your lather. That will increase the amount of cushion provided by your lather. If you're using a tubed cream, try squirting a two to two and a half inch long strip of cream into a bowl. If you're using a soap, even a soft one, load your brush heavily for at least a minute and then lather in a bowl. I like a stiffer brush, like a boar, which does load more soap more quickly. When in doubt about adding more water to your lather, mix longer with your brush instead.

Do what works for you. I would keep everything except the razor. A good brush, soap, pre and post shave product will continue to serve you well.

If you want to go strictly cartridge, you might try BIC metal. One blade, non-pivoting. It's a good razor and that I use travelling and on occasion when in a hurry.

Good luck! Stay on the forum. We have a great group here!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Rodimus80 I don't blame you. I don't even have the courage to try "safety" razor shaving. I hope you now understand how dangerous it is to shave with an edge where you can't see the blade's edge on the skin.

Go back to a safe multi-blade and don't even think about straight razors.

Top Bottom