What's new

Gave the Merkur a try...

..and found it not wanting. I was expecting something in line with the reviews I see here, but I didn't have too bad an experience compared to my usual other shaves. It could be technique, so I'll swap out to another blade in a shave or two and see how it behaves as well, but so far, so good.

Consider that Merkur blades get a lot of bad press, because for quite a few wet shavers they are the first blade they experience. They thus assume the blade is utter garbage, because they badly ripped their face up with it. This is likely a technique issue, rather than an actual fault of the blade.

I can get a decent shave from a Merkur blade, however, they are at best just an average blade, nothing special that would warrant paying their .50 cent each price tag. Far better blades are available for far less money.

I'm thinking it's my technique at this point that's making shaving better, regardless of blade. I can just imagine how nice it'll be when I approach competence. :laugh:

Merkur's can provide a decent shave but they require, like other blades, a certain mastery of technique. Try one again and you'll notice it will shave better. On the other hand, I don't find Merkur blades to be particularly good when compared to other brands.

Could the issue be that they are made with Merkur razors in mind and that the angle you shave with a Merkur compared to a Gillette are different and might get different out comes with their blades? *keep in mind that I have only one Merkur and a few Gillettes*

YMMV, but I've never been happy with Merkur blades, even after going back to them.

This after a solid 18 months of DE and being able to run a Feather to BBS without a nick and a burn-free pass of the alum block. I figure my technique is passable, but I always seem to pick up a weeper or irritation with Merkur blades.

I'll rotate another one in this weekend just to check my bias again.

But if Merkurs work for you, keep using them by all means. We're all different.

Consider that Merkur blades get a lot of bad press, because for quite a few wet shavers they are the first blade they experience. They thus assume the blade is utter garbage, because they badly ripped their face up with it. This is likely a technique issue, rather than an actual fault of the blade.

I can get a decent shave from a Merkur blade, however, they are at best just an average blade, nothing special that would warrant paying their .50 cent each price tag. Far better blades are available for far less money.

I could not have said it better myself. I find that what it boils down to is that the value for money ratio is far too low on these blades compared to others.

They always did a good job for me , but I use other blades because that are less expensive and do as well or better at shaving.

+1 Merkur blades were my first DE shaves and they did okay. Much cheaper blades that gave me much better shaves.

Top Bottom