What's new

Gave the fusion a try today after 3 months off

I've been shaving DE with a red tip ss and merkur 23c for a few months now. I use sharks, med preps, feathers, red IP's etc...

Today I pulled out my brothers fusion and shaved WTG, XTG in both directions, and then ATG (only shaved my upper lip) and got the closest shave on my mustache area in months. With a DE I simply cannot go ATG, but with the fusion for some reason I was able to, and able to get a closer shave....

Is anyone else able to go ATG with a cartridge but not DE? :crying:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I could go ATG with a Fusion but it irritated my neck something awful. With the DE it's not that the shave is so much closer, but that it is LOTS more comfortable. I had a tie on today, DFS this morning with the DE and I'm not scratching at my collar line like I used to with the Fusion. Fusions don't (totally) suck, but for the comfort to closeness ratio there is no comparison IMO.

I can do so easily enough with both, and with SEs and injectors. It may be partly technique, but probably has more to do with beard growth patterns. My beard is heavy enough, but it doesn't go off in all directions, so it's fairly easy to find an optimal shaving scheme.

Fusions do shave good but..this is a big one for me..the aesthetics of the Fusion and mens cartridge razors of today just does not please me. They look like toys to me. A DE,SE or straight (which I haven't shaved with by the way..yet) is far more appealing to my eyes. Old school shaving hardware has a sense of quality to it that modern razors just cant touch. And lest I forget the upward direction that cartridge shaving costs are going. Also in my experience carts dont last that long,they clog easily,and I get nicks with them no matter how careful I am. These days I find my self wondering what could be next in the race to be the greatest shaving device. Whatever it is I know that it will once again comprise of something that will make it more expensive. I will say that I spend more now on my shaving gear than I did when I used carts but the expenses I incur now are expenses that I incur willingly and with great joy.

That cant be said of the men who use the latest and "greatest" of the modern razors. But then again how I shave and what I shave with comprises a hobby rather than a chore that must be dealt with. Just my two cents!

Happened to be "forced" to use one on a quick overnight trip. First time in nearly a year. Super smooth, easy shave. a real BBS with little effort.

Then I paid the price. :scared:

Very irritated skin all over by the evening, and very sore. Thankfully only one time did i have to endure.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
^^^^^^^
This

is the problem, not that you can't get a close shave with a cart. It's that if you do it every day for a week your neck will be destroyed. I've shaved every day for almost two months with a DE now, no days off, and my neck feels fantastic. Through a heat wave, and even wearing ties.

I will say that I spend more now on my shaving gear than I did when I used carts but the expenses I incur now are expenses that I incur willingly and with great joy.

That cant be said of the men who use the latest and "greatest" of the modern razors.
Why not?

I still have a Fusion sitting in my shower. I used to use it occasionally when I was in a hurry. However, I reached the point where it just didn't shave anywhere near as well as my DE set up(s). I may use it to get the backs of my ears sometimes but it will never touch my chin again.

Happened to be "forced" to use one on a quick overnight trip. First time in nearly a year. Super smooth, easy shave. a real BBS with little effort.

Then I paid the price. :scared:

Very irritated skin all over by the evening, and very sore. Thankfully only one time did i have to endure.

+1!!! That's why I go de...the aftermath of a cartridge!

^^^^^^^
This

is the problem, not that you can't get a close shave with a cart. It's that if you do it every day for a week your neck will be destroyed. I've shaved every day for almost two months with a DE now, no days off, and my neck feels fantastic. Through a heat wave, and even wearing ties.

I recall shaving my neck with the fusion, and this is where I had the most trouble. Neck isn't perfect with the DE either, but a hell of a lot better than a cart. My upper lip is smooth right now but wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow i have a little redness.

Two Rushed mornings this week have seen the goo, cart (hydro3) and shower routine. Great shaves in less time. Never had the negative effects of cartridges personally. De is the fun side

The last time I took my Fusion for a test I had been DE shaving for a few months. It felt like I was trying to shave with a piece of sandpaper there was so much drag. Never again

I smile every time I change my super sharp Feather blade after only 2 shaves.........Thinking to myself, I like the fresh sharp blades every shave, and I dont have to drop 4.00 every time I choose to do so. Prices are outrageous for that crap now.

Fusions do shave good but..this is a big one for me..the aesthetics of the Fusion and mens cartridge razors of today just does not please me. They look like toys to me. A DE,SE or straight (which I haven't shaved with by the way..yet) is far more appealing to my eyes. Old school shaving hardware has a sense of quality to it that modern razors just cant touch. And lest I forget the upward direction that cartridge shaving costs are going. Also in my experience carts dont last that long,they clog easily,and I get nicks with them no matter how careful I am. These days I find my self wondering what could be next in the race to be the greatest shaving device. Whatever it is I know that it will once again comprise of something that will make it more expensive. I will say that I spend more now on my shaving gear than I did when I used carts but the expenses I incur now are expenses that I incur willingly and with great joy.

That cant be said of the men who use the latest and "greatest" of the modern razors. But then again how I shave and what I shave with comprises a hobby rather than a chore that must be dealt with. Just my two cents!

+1

Is anyone else able to go ATG with a cartridge but not DE? :crying:

I'm with you man. I can do whatever I want with a cart and have no problems. It is kind of frustrating thinking about it because I cannot go ATG with a DE. Granted, I've only been using a DE for about 5 weeks but I can go WTG/XTG all day no problem. And I do get some pretty sweet shaves, but the second I go ATG with a DE I get irritation. Right now, if I were planning on going to a wedding or some other special event I'd whip out my Fusion because for me it GUARANTEES a perfect shave.

I do enjoy shaving with a DE a lot more though, so ATG or not, I'm hoping with more practice my shaves will get better. I'm gonna give it a good year or so with the DE and see how it goes. The other stuff (soaps, creams, brushes, mugs etc...) I LOVE and will keep using for life.

Good luck with your shaving. At the end of the day just go with the shaving results that make you happy. I know I will.

I don't find a world of difference between DEs and carts in this respect: I can do ATG on my face without issues, on my neck as long as I'm careful, and not comfortably on the upper lip with either. Of course I never really got beyond 2-blade carts...

I can't go ATG on my neck with anything, or my lip for that matter. XTG is the best I can manage with an M3 or DE. Too much irritation, especially on my neck ATG.

Top Bottom