What's new

Gave into temptation today

Good afternoon all.

I am aware the Gillette Fusion Skinguard blades seemed to be somewhat liked on this forum, so when I was shopping earlier I picked up a pack of 4 (Please don't tell the wife!)

I thought I'd give them a go as they only have 2 blades like the Gillette Sensor and I want to see if they work well as a travelling razor. Yes I did baulk at the price but what the hell!

In a way I'm glad I kept my Fusion razor because I still have the storage caddy for it (as they no longer seem to be made) and if it works well as a travelling razor then yes I'm happy.

IMG_3370.JPGIMG_3371.JPGIMG_3372.JPGIMG_3373.JPGIMG_3374.JPG

Jason

Good afternoon all.

I am aware the Gillette Fusion Skinguard blades seemed to be somewhat liked on this forum, so when I was shopping earlier I picked up a pack of 4 (Please don't tell the wife!)

I thought I'd give them a go as they only have 2 blades like the Gillette Sensor and I want to see if they work well as a travelling razor. Yes I did baulk at the price but what the hell!

In a way I'm glad I kept my Fusion razor because I still have the storage caddy for it (as they no longer seem to be made) and if it works well as a travelling razor then yes I'm happy.

View attachment 1381781View attachment 1381782View attachment 1381783View attachment 1381784View attachment 1381785

Jason
We all have had moments of weakness, Bro!! LOL!! Seriously, that caddy does look sweet!!

Your wife will have the last laugh when she sees your old razor(this one) and throws it in the bin! When you ask her about it, she will say that you shave with double edge now so you don't need it. :devil:

Not knowing that you just bought these new blades for it that you are trying to hide in plain sight from her...

Your wife will have the last laugh when she sees your old razor(this one) and throws it in the bin! When you ask her about it, she will say that you shave with double edge now so you don't need it. :devil:

Not knowing that you just bought these new blades for it that you are trying to hide in plain sight from her...
The razor will be hidden out of sight from her!

Jason.

Nice one on your purchase!

The skin guard is just what I was waiting for, I liked the fusion handle and pivoting motion but anything over 2 blades causes me severe irritation and most definitely ingrown hairs 😩

I picked one up on a trip 2 years ago because I had forgotten my DE razor 😒 and now it’s pretty much my go-to razor for travel use.

Only negative thing is that if you are looking for something comparable to the Gillette sensor then you will almost certainly be disappointed. The skin guard doesn’t cut anywhere near as close as the sensor IMO but it does give a comfortable shave.

My hope was that another new razor on the market would drive the price of sensor blades down further, but now I find that sensor have been taken off the shelves pretty much everywhere near me!

Thanks,

R

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Gillette SkinGuard is a fantastic cartridge razor IMHO. I like it a lot. Many don’t like it, but until you try it you will never know of you like it or not.

Thanks for your replies. Looking forward to test driving the Skinguard and posting my review accordingly.

Jason.

apologies for the post, but here it comes anyway...

well, it is your money.

it was one of the worst shaves of my life when I tried it just before converting to DE. it can't deal with my stubble, the fusion at least can mow some whiskers. YMMV.

I'm sure you could have got a Fatip for the price of these cartridges, all brass vs plastic waste.

apologies for the post, but here it comes anyway...

well, it is your money.

it was one of the worst shaves of my life when I tried it just before converting to DE. it can't deal with my stubble, the fusion at least can mow some whiskers. YMMV.

I'm sure you could have got a Fatip for the price of these cartridges, all brass vs plastic waste.
See my review for details.

Like I said it was a curiosity purchase as that seems to be somewhat liked on the threads. After trying it, I won't be buying the cartridges again. The massive amounts of lube on it may benefit my wife if she wants to use the carts on her legs; saves me throwing them in the bin.

Jason.

Cartridge razors are great for traveling. That's the biggest reason I have mine still.
I purchased a leather cover for the head of my DE razor(Parker 91R), so I won't cut myself digging in my toiletries bag when I travel. Cut myself once on my VDH in the bag. Hurt like hell, would not stop bleeding!! I have some Gillette Sensor2(nice razor) disposables for when I am running late in the morning, or for trimming the hair on the back of my neck, as I cut my own hair, or just a little manscaping. I shave at least 6 days a week, and mostly DE in the morning. I like a good shave in the morning...

I purchased a leather cover for the head of my DE razor(Parker 91R), so I won't cut myself digging in my toiletries bag when I travel. Cut myself once on my VDH in the bag. Hurt like hell, would not stop bleeding!! I have some Gillette Sensor2(nice razor) disposables for when I am running late in the morning, or for trimming the hair on the back of my neck, as I cut my own hair, or just a little manscaping. I shave at least 6 days a week, and mostly DE in the morning. I like a good shave in the morning...
Just an FYI, most of those covers state that they aren't meant to be used with a bade in the razor. Depending on the design of the parker you might get away with it, but I would try without it first to check clearance. If you ever look at a hunting knife sheath, it has a huge chunk of leather on the side the blade faces. I have read warnings that came with knives about putting it in the right way. Razors are even sharper. I keep one of those plastic tucks handy, re wrap the blade and pop it back in. Also, put a tiny bottle of super glue in your shave kit. Those cuts will only stop if they are kept closed.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I do keep my cartridge, so that it can be used when I can only travel with a backpack
This is a simpler all-copper handle, there is no rubber or plastic that is easy to stick, and it is slightly close to our favorite simple style.

There are also many heads to choose from, and most markets or pharmacies usually provide them:gillette track/G II, schick ultra/super II, Personna Twin II, feather F-II…since they occupy a low-priced niche market, there is no need to worry about interface specifications being eliminated by capitalist merchants.
And there is no aloe on it. ;)

78397951_2686285521410334_3836833682975358976_n.jpg

Reactions: edw
Just an FYI, most of those covers state that they aren't meant to be used with a bade in the razor. Depending on the design of the parker you might get away with it, but I would try without it first to check clearance. If you ever look at a hunting knife sheath, it has a huge chunk of leather on the side the blade faces. I have read warnings that came with knives about putting it in the right way. Razors are even sharper. I keep one of those plastic tucks handy, re wrap the blade and pop it back in. Also, put a tiny bottle of super glue in your shave kit. Those cuts will only stop if they are kept closed.
Appreciate the heads up on the cover..will look into using it. When I bought it, it did fit pretty good, and not tight to put on razor. I will go back and check again. I do have those Gillette Sensor2 disposables, which have a cover on them if I should choose...

Top Bottom