What's new

Gave Cremo Another Shot

Just got an email from Cremo, they are reformulating their sandlewood tub shave cream.

Screenshot 2017-03-09 at 12.31.56 PM.png

...1.5 tbsp. of product seems like a lot. Glad to hear it has been reformulated. Personally, I thought the scent strength was actually too much so it might be too strong now.

Okay then.
I rubbed on a wee bit of Cremo as a pre-shave or base or whatever, then brushed on some bowl-lathered Wet Willy on top of it.
It worked out quite well.

Now that I've started reusing Cremo, I found that there is one other advantage to having NO lather. I can actually see what I'm shaving. Since there is no thick lather hiding the skin, I'm not flying with my eyes closed.

Now that I've started reusing Cremo, I found that there is one other advantage to having NO lather. I can actually see what I'm shaving. Since there is no thick lather hiding the skin, I'm not flying with my eyes closed.
Cremo is great for shaving in the shower if short on time.

This is the first time I've seen this expressed online. I used a shaving brush and lather in the beginning because... well... that's what I thought you were supposed to do. After using Cremo, it occurred to me that only the lather that touched my face actually served a purpose. The thick rich lather I worked so hard to perfect sat ABOVE my face, did nothing to assist my shave and was always rinsed down the drain. Once I stopped feeling guilty about not using lather (I actually believed non lather use was "cheating") I began practicing with Cremo in earnest. Today I get more use out of a single Cremo application than I did with 3 rich lather passes. I guess reading about other guys using Cremo kind of validates my experience.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

This is the first time I've seen this expressed online. I used a shaving brush and lather in the beginning because... well... that's what I thought you were supposed to do. After using Cremo, it occurred to me that only the lather that touched my face actually served a purpose. The thick rich lather I worked so hard to perfect sat ABOVE my face, did nothing to assist my shave and was always rinsed down the drain. Once I stopped feeling guilty about not using lather (I actually believed non lather use was "cheating") I began practicing with Cremo in earnest. Today I get more use out of a single Cremo application than I did with 3 rich lather passes. I guess reading about other guys using Cremo kind of validates my experience.

I think a lot of us really fall into the wet shaving game for a multitude of reasons. I also did the old fashioned way because 1. That is how you were supposed to do it and 2. It made me feel a tad bit more manly (sad to say). There is a lot of Dogma floating around about wet shaving, but the funny part is that only like .5% of wet shavers actually believe thats how it should be done. Most people are super open to hybrid ways to shaving if that works for you. I have never met anyone on this forum that has shamed anyone for doing things differently then our grandfathers did. Like my favorite saying goes "different strokes for different folks"! Now I have one shave oil, Kiss my face shaving cream unscented for allergies, a couple of balms, and Cremo spf 15 moisturizer, and that is it, oh and I use Harrys carts. Sounds like Heresy in the Catholic Church, but it works for me and I can put on my Navy uniform with a smooth and not in pain face, and the rest of it be darned.

I think a lot of us really fall into the wet shaving game for a multitude of reasons. I also did the old fashioned way because 1. That is how you were supposed to do it and 2. It made me feel a tad bit more manly (sad to say). There is a lot of Dogma floating around about wet shaving, but the funny part is that only like .5% of wet shavers actually believe thats how it should be done. Most people are super open to hybrid ways to shaving if that works for you. I have never met anyone on this forum that has shamed anyone for doing things differently then our grandfathers did. Like my favorite saying goes "different strokes for different folks"! Now I have one shave oil, Kiss my face shaving cream unscented for allergies, a couple of balms, and Cremo spf 15 moisturizer, and that is it, oh and I use Harrys carts. Sounds like Heresy in the Catholic Church, but it works for me and I can put on my Navy uniform with a smooth and not in pain face, and the rest of it be darned.
Your response made my day. As a former Ship's Serviceman, I often wonder how I passed inspection 'cause my shave back then (76-82) was NOTHING like it is today. In fact, I was introduced to shaving in boot camp. The only shaving instruction I ever received prior to these online shaving forums was from my Drill Instructor, who advised us to...

"... shave whether you need to or not."

Hmmmph...I may not shave like my grandfather, but I'm sure as hell beginning to sound like him.

This is why I use Floid gel and a shavette around my van dyke. I can get much more precision seeing where I am shaving. I'm not too crazy about the Floid and will pick up some Cremo when it is done.

I found the line of Cremo at Bed Bath and Beyond for just over $6/tube, about $4 less/tube than the pharmacies in Connecticut.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used to use Cremo shaving cream (the original stuff in a tube, latherless) a good bit when I shaved with a cart. I found it very interesting to shave with. It seemed slick to me, and I noticed no downside. One really nice upside was the fact I could see exactly what I was doing.

I love making lather and all that, but it might be fun sometime soon, and useful, to give Cremo shaving cream another try, just so I can see the razor better.

Oh, I use Cremo Moisturizer much of the time as an aftershave and almost every night after washing my face with an olive oil bar soap. I think the Cremo Moisturizer is great stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I found tat Cremo was very slick but did not have cushion while shaving.
Could never wrap my head around the concept of "cushion" while shaving. I usually think of cushion as padding placed between a hard substance and a body part to absorb shock to minimize pain. Something that has a bit of body and width to it. Foamy lather doesn't fit the bill, as far as I'm concerned. Practicing skimming the surface of the face to cut only hair is the best "cushion" I've found. The emphasis is placed on the shaver responsibly using the razor instead of the product protecting the shaver from the razor.

What makes Cremo superior over traditional product, in my opinion, is the slickness that facilitates skimming. If someone is accustomed to scraping the face instead of skimming the surface of the face ("applying no pressure") they'll find little use for lather-less shaving products.

Last edited:
I recently gave Cremo another shot since Ive been shaving with carts and Ive found that it works great once you wrap your mind around the fact that you dont NEED lather.
Ive tried Cremo in the tube with a brush and you can actually get it to lather if you want, although its not the richest lather in the world and doesnt really work any better with a brush.
IMO, one of the best things about Cremo, other than the slickness is that you dont have any lather plugging up your razor. Even with a multi-blade cart, I can do my whole face without needing to rinse out the razor. With most lathering shave foams, gels and even some soaps; I can only do 1 or maybe 2 swipes before I need to rinse out the razor, or else it will fill up with later and will stop cutting. Ive kind of become a latherless cream convert.

Cremo works best for me when doing daily shaving and particularly if using a twin blade Sensor disposable. I've used it for DE but just prefer lather for such shaves. Overall though, Cremo is a keeper and always keep a couple of tubes on hand.

I have three different Cremo varieties: regular, sandalwood, and lavender. When I use them, I place about a heaping teaspoon of the cream into my shave bowl and then add a similar amount of hot water. I then lather the cream with a badger brush that has been soaking in hot water. If you do that, the Cremo lathers just fine. You might not get a 1/2" thick layer of foam on your face, but you certainly get enough lather to last through a three pass shave. Depending upon your water, your technique, and your lather preferences, you might need slightly more or less water to achieve the best result.

I have tried some shaving creams like Alba that refuse to lather no matter what you do. A thin layer can be applied as a preshave, but I normally do not bother.

I load my brush with Mitchell's Wool Fat and then lather in a bowl with a dollop of Cremo Cooling. Tons of lather, very slick and enough cooling to freeze my face. A real treat.

I just started playing with cremo again after awhile. I had a quick and comfortable BBS headshave today with cremo original and a Gillette Guard. My only concern, and now remembering why I stopped using it before, is it leaves my skin so greasy. I rewashed my head after shaving, use witch hazel after every shave, and finished with and alcohol based splash and I still have a shiny greasy dome that I don't usually have with my preferred proraso.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Just the found tub of the lathering Sandalwood cream at Tar-jay. I didn't realize that Cremo was getting into the lathering cream game. It smelled alright, so I grabbed it and will give it a shot in morning. I gotta say, it looks like Cremo did their homework. The tub is solid and has a screw-off lid; exactly what discerning wetshavers are looking for. Plus, Cremo was selling a Vie Long horsehair brush right next to cream. The price was a bit steep for a plastic handle Vie Long, but I applaud the effort to partner with an established traditional brush maker rather than a generic Chinese make. I'm pleased to see more quality wetshaving products showing at local stores.

The new formula Cremo, (I have it in the Cooling formula) is superior to original formula Cremo in performance.

I use it with cold water, slather it on my face, and shave with a fairly wet razor. Between passes I add more Cremo to my wet face, and have another go.

I like the original formula, and I think I like its orange scent better than the cooling's scent, but I love the new formula!

I'll use up the original, for sure. I'll buy more of the new formula.

Top Bottom