What's new

Gauging Interest: **JORIS DE Test Drive Tour**

​Gents,

Some of you may remember the long tour of my Feather All-Stainless last summer: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/149870-*Feather-N-American-Tour*?highlight= . Perhaps it's time for another?

Earlier this year, I purchased a Joris Godren DE and have been impressed with it's performance since day one. I gravitate towards serious shavers so yes, this razor is on the so-called "aggressive" end of the scale but trust me, once you "get it" - and it doesn't take long - you won't regret it! To me, this razor is one of the most effective DEs I've ever used and this includes the likes of Gillette Old Style, NEW, British Aristocrats and PILS. I'd say the closest comparison in my arsenal is Gillette's New Deluxe, a truly fine shaver!

Since many of you may have been scared away by its alleged aggressiveness and perhaps its price, here's a chance to test drive this beautifully made razor. I'll also throw in some Joris shaving soap for the ride.

Let me know by reply if you're in and I'll follow up with more information in a few days, once I measure overall interest.

p.s. If he's interested, the first destination will be Washington State as my friend Bong (superbleu) expressed interest some time ago before I got busy with life. :wink2:

Bill

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hi petrakounas,

I'm a little rusty on Muhle DE models and comparisons but I consider the Muhle R41 much milder and the more accurate comparison might be the older Muhle R89, which I believe was the model/clone for the Joris head, except for the superior plating of the Joris. The Joris' blade exposure is comparatively high and is capable of a very close shave indeed. Price and value is subjective but I do love the high quality construction (and shave) of the Joris and don't regret one penny spent. Hope this helps!!

EDIT: Like I said, rusty. Based on another Muhle R41 thread, I may have my models confused. I believe my comments are based on an older (but still available) Muhle open-comb model, the R101. :crying:

hello dear texbilly yes i also strongly insist continuing with joris :)
i also have a crucial for me question
at last a joris how is compared to the muhle r41 2011 in terms of blade exposure and shave closeness ?
does one of them outperforms or are about the same ?
does joris compared to muhle justifies its price ?
king regards and go on

Last edited:
Good show Bill. I'd be in but I have a Joris razor. I do find it to be aggressive.

How do you like the Joris soap?

Good show Bill. I'd be in but I have a Joris razor. I do find it to be aggressive.

How do you like the Joris soap?

Hi Shawn! The Joris soap is nice. It's quite lubricating and lathers well. Maybe we can meet up and I'll share a sample. :)

I'm definitely interested. I've only been DE'ing for 6 months, but have had great success with my 34C and R89. I'm ready to try something more aggressive, and this seems like the perfect candidate!

Hi petrakounas,

I'm a little rusty on Muhle DE models and comparisons but I consider the Muhle R41 much milder and the more accurate comparison might be the older Muhle R89, which I believe was the model/clone for the Joris head, except for the superior plating of the Joris. The Joris' blade exposure is comparatively high and is capable of a very close shave indeed. Price and value is subjective but I do love the high quality construction (and shave) of the Joris and don't regret one penny spent. Hope this helps!!

EDIT: Like I said, rusty. Based on another Muhle R41 thread, I may have my models confused. I believe my comments are based on an older (but still available) Muhle open-comb model, the R101. :crying:

Wow, if ever there was an open comb that begged for a test drive, the Joris Lined would be it.

Tex, everything you say about the Joris is true. I've had one for over a year now and refuse to shave with anything else---the razor is that good, that much of a game changer. I did just add a Joris horn handle to the collection, the lighter handle makes the razor a touch less aggressive (but not by much) and is a very enjoyable shaver. And I'll echo your comment, this razor is worth every penny. After shaving with the Joris a week I sold off all my other razors, including the PILS and a Gillette #16 and #58.

The Joris head is very similar to the old pre 2009 Muhle R41--they appear identical, and they do shave in a similar fashion--but they do have some minor differences. Very minor. But yes, the older R41 shaves in a similar fashion. I had one for about a year and had many opportunities to shave side by side with the Joris. They are very similar. I'll detail the similarities in my upcoming 3 way comparo between the Joris, the pre-2009 Muhle R41, and the current R41.

If you want some blades to include with your test drive, I'll send you some Astra's and Derbys, the two blades that I have had great success with. Everyone needs to try this razor.

Last edited:
No mention of Conus Only so I'm in. Always wanted to try a Joris, but didn't want to shell out the funds in fear I wouldn't like it. This would be awesome!

Stub, great hearing from you and thanks for weighing in. The Muhle head and model history is a bit confusing if you aren't watching closely so I appreciate the feedback!

Your journey mirrors mine very closely and I also look forward to your comparo - an excellent trio! I was already planning to include my favorite Astras in the package but your comments about Derbys really intrigue me. I gave up Derbys years ago when I "upgraded" to more premium blades but this might be an interesting trial for others who may overlook some unique blade/razor combinations (an entire subject matter in itself). I'll shoot you a PM to take you up on your generosity. :001_smile

Wow, if ever there was an open comb that begged for a test drive, the Joris Lined would be it.

Tex, everything you say about the Joris is true. I've had one for over a year now and refuse to shave with anything else---the razor is that good, that much of a game changer. I did just add a Joris horn handle to the collection, the lighter handle makes the razor a touch less aggressive (but not by much) and is a very enjoyable shaver. And I'll echo your comment, this razor is worth every penny. After shaving with the Joris a week I sold off all my other razors, including the PILS and a Gillette #16 and #58.

The Joris head is very similar to the old pre 2009 Muhle R41--they appear identical, and they do shave in a similar fashion--but they do have some minor differences. Very minor. But yes, the older R41 shaves in a similar fashion. I had one for about a year and had many opportunities to shave side by side with the Joris. They are very similar. I'll detail the similarities in my upcoming 3 way comparo between the Joris, the pre-2009 Muhle R41, and the current R41.

If you want some blades to include with your test drive, I'll send you some Astra's and Derbys, the two blades that I have had great success with. Everyone needs to try this razor.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hi Bill, I would love to try the Joris if there is still room. Very nice gesture!

Top Bottom