What's new

Gauging Interest: B&B Fragrance Train

B&B Fragrance Train (see below)- Good idea?

• Let's get the train movin'!

• Nah, dumb idea. Go away, Scotto

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Folks,

I have been toying around with a method of us sharing fragrances that we currently own with others on the board. This is a variation on the "swap box" theme that some of us have participated in previously. Before I invest in the supplies, I wanted to get a general sense if people would participate.

Here is the concept:
  1. I buy a bunch of empty fragrance sample containers, like what you get from T&H, Trumpers, etc.
  2. I fill up a bunch of samples from my stash (it is easy to spray into the vials, or decant from a splash top)
  3. I send these to the next person on the list, who takes what he wants, and replaces them 1-for-1 from his personal stash, using the empty vials provided
  4. Each person adds some number (to be determined) of additional samples so the box contents grow as the box moves along its way.
  5. We also provide a master list of fragrances available from each person, such that the person next to receive the box can request specific samples from the previous person
  6. The box travels from person to person, and eventually back to me.

I can start with quite a bunch of stuff, maybe 12-24 samples. Since the box just contains scent samples, it should be inexpensive to ship.

So my questions are:

Is this a good idea?
Would you participate?
Would you be willing to pay a nominal ($1-$2) fee to help pay for the supplies?
This is non-binding, obviously, I am just trying to get a feel for whether people think we should do this before going through the exercise.

Gents,

I'm new to the board, but bring 46 years of hard-won credibility and integrity, so count me in and let me know details on how to participate!

I would be more interested in the 'decant club' as I don't have much to offer. I wouldn't mind buying a bottle and splitting it between 3 or 4 people. That would prob. be better for me, personally. Good idea, though, as long as everybody doesn't try to dump their cool water/joop!

obsessis said:
I would be more interested in the 'decant club' as I don't have much to offer. I wouldn't mind buying a bottle and splitting it between 3 or 4 people. That would prob. be better for me, personally. Good idea, though, as long as everybody doesn't try to dump their cool water/joop!

I like Joop!

Randy

obsessis said:
i thought joop was alright when i was 15. i like the name, though. joop! so exciting.

It sits on the shelf with my Woods of Windsor, Brooks Brothers 1818, and a few other "high brow" fragrances. It's not what you wear, it's when you wear it!

Randy

I think it would be better if it was just a sampler box. People can sniff and smell all the samples they want, try the ones they like, add a few, and ship it off to the next person. I don't like the idea of removing samples from the sampler box.

I think the purpose of this sampler box should be to allow people to smell the vast variety of fragrances they've been wanting to sample and try the ones to their liking.

The 'decant club' is better suited for splitting up fragrances.

I don't have much to offer yet in terms of fragrance bottles, but this sounds like a good way to find out about them. Maybe I will have purchased some bottles before this gets started!

Thanks, Scotto!

Tom

roughrider said:
I think it would be better if it was just a sampler box. People can sniff and smell all the samples they want, try the ones they like, add a few, and ship it off to the next person. I don't like the idea of removing samples from the sampler box.

I think the purpose of this sampler box should be to allow people to smell the vast variety of fragrances they've been wanting to sample and try the ones to their liking.

The 'decant club' is better suited for splitting up fragrances.
RR,

I am a bit confused about your objections. The point of the sampler box is to swap fragrances to try out. What do you mean by "...not liking the idea of removing samples..."? Your first paragraph sounds exactly like what I proposed, unless we are totally mis-communicating

I like it - count me in.

One suggestion I have is I think it would advantageous for the box to be divided into two sections:

1. Sample section
2. Swap out section.

All fragrances except one of each would be eligible to be swapped out. The remaining sample of each fragrance would allow everyone to get a whiff of the variety available.

I'm afraid if all samples are eligible for swap out, individuals may miss out on a sniff of something new to them. This may be what RR was suggesting.

Gentlemen-shavers,

This sounds like a great idea and I'd very much like to participate.

Realistically, we are all human. While I'd like to limit my sampling to a sniff, I'd find it hard (and I think many would also) to refrain from putting a dab on a finger and trying it out (just to see how long it lasts, purely in the interest of good science), so at some point, we need to plan on replenishing the stock.

Again, I'm very much in favor, and will do my part to exercise disciplined sniffing only. But I'll also promise to add to diminishing stock in the interest of fair play (especially if it's a good scent and one I'd go out and buy)

Sorry for any confusion. Rik pretty much covered it all. I think it would be better if this was just a scent library where people sniff and try which ever scent they like. I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on a particular fragrance because it got swaped out.

KUJO said:
Gentlemen-shavers,

This sounds like a great idea and I'd very much like to participate.

Realistically, we are all human. While I'd like to limit my sampling to a sniff, I'd find it hard (and I think many would also) to refrain from putting a dab on a finger and trying it out (just to see how long it lasts, purely in the interest of good science), so at some point, we need to plan on replenishing the stock.

Again, I'm very much in favor, and will do my part to exercise disciplined sniffing only. But I'll also promise to add to diminishing stock in the interest of fair play (especially if it's a good scent and one I'd go out and buy)

I agree with you. I think people should smell and try which ever samples they like. We should add to the collection and try to replenish the sample that is low if we have that particular fragrance.

Hmmm, this is morphing a bit from my original intent, but hey, that is why I put it up for discussion.

The issue I see with this new concept is that you need to use a significant percentage of the tiny fragrance vials to get a sense of how it works for you. In the Trumpers/T&H-size vials, for instance, I find I can get maybe two applications out of it. This is why I suggested the swap box format, which is tried-and-true.

Another option is to pre-list what people have and what people want and then figure out how to make sure the box is stocked appropriately, but that sounds like a lot of work to organize.

i would be able to like to try a bunch of different scents but I have absolutely nothing to contribute. if someone shipped it to me i could try to smell them, figure out what i like and then ship it on but that's about it.

Folks,

I got the empty sample vials today, so I'll begin finalizing the rules. The mods figured out an alternate method to run the Train based on all your feedback, so once I close with them, I will post the details of how it will work. I think this will give people an opportunity to try out some colognes/aftershaves that they might normally not get a chance to sample. Stay tuned!

Top Bottom