What's new

Gas Station Coffee- you can't beat it !

On the other hand I wish I had me some real good BBQ restaurants near me. :biggrin1:

I just get to read about, or watch Guy Fiero on food tv show, tuck into real good BBQ in the southern USA.

In the best of both worlds I'd have easily accessible BBQ and I'd wash it down with Tim Horton DeCaf.

When I made that post, I was imagining a Korean/Vietnamese/other.ethnic style grocery store but with Canadian delicacies and staples. Shelves lined with back bacon, pea gravel, poutine kits, various northern beers, Rock 'em Sock 'em videos, snack cakes shaped like Peter Mansbridge and Rick Mercer, Stompin' Tom Connors tapes, etc etc :thumbup:

In reality, I'd totally shop at a store like that.

Last edited:
Do they still Roll up the Rim to Win?

Not sure as I don't go to the coffee shops...line ups are incredible....wife makes mine from Horton product we pick up from the grocery store.

Think they bring the contest in and out every year...in fact you can buy a rim roller to attach to your car key fob.

When I made that post, I was imagining a Korean/Vietnamese/other.ethnic style grocery store but with Canadian delicacies and staples. Shelves lined with back bacon, pea gravel, poutine kits, various northern beers, Rock 'em Sock 'em videos, snack cakes shaped like Peter Mansbridge and Rick Mercer, Stompin' Tom Connors tapes, etc etc :thumbup:

That would be Zellers.

And it would be called "The Canadian Store."

I wonder why there isn't a Canadian Store as you describe ? Could be a hit in a city such as LA, etc.

I understand in some big cities such as Los Angeles or London, there are Canadian Clubs :)biggrin1:) and some of the more rabid of us, actually send away to different parts of Canada for everything from Holubchies, a cake made only in Winnipeg...all sorts of food items that expat Canadian crave.

There's other things too....Canadian made 'Garbage' Mitts, Mountie style winter hats...all sorts of Canuckian items....not sure if Mansbridge cakes would go well though. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Actually, the worst coffee is probably the (vaguely) brown swill they brew up for us every morning in huge urn at the high school where I teach. Lemming-like I stop in the lounge and top off a cup with this horrid stuff every morning, have for 11 years. The chief thing going for it is its price: Free.99.:tongue_sm

Having said that, I love a good gourmet brew when I can get it (not at work!). But I'm also the kind of guy who will drink Johnny Walker Red just as happily as Dalwhinnie, or enjoy PBR just as much as a super-tasty pub brew. It all has its time and place.

Coffee guys in the places I've worked over the last few years have always been very generous about offering coffee from the community urn or pot. Before they get to know me they know I'm a coffee drinker because I typically have the small or large Stanley vacuum bottle with me when I come to or leave work. I politely decline and let them know if I run out I'll hit them up.

If you have the time before work, I recommend taking the ten minutes it me takes to grind and brew my own. True, even in the "Thermos" the flavor degrades over time, but I think it's better than the community offering.

When I use the coffee maker, I start it and get ready for work, then pour into the bottle. If I use the manual drip, I stay with it through the entire process. Still takes about ten min for both.

Steve

A poutine kit? Such a thing exist? I would probably buy some :lol:!

Grave digging here, but as I spend a good amount of time on the road, I'm constantly on the lookout for good, cheap coffee. Tried Sheetz this morning here in VA, perfectly enjoyable breakfast roast with no bitterness to speak of. And only $1.05 for a large with tax. :thumbup1:

Wawa has the best gas station coffee, but their gas stations & convenience stores are limited to NJ, PA, DEL, VA & MD.

WaWa stores are sprouting like weeds in Orlando. Haven't had their coffee, but they make great sub sandwiches!

I don't. I actually research my coffee spots when making travel plans as good matters more to me than fancy. Personally, I prefer my coffee to taste like coffee and not like all the other flavorings that seem to be very popular. However, it works for you then go for it. It's the taste in the cup and your own preference that matter.

This 100%
Just a few weeks ago I went on a trip to Kitty Hawk and Colonial Williamsburg. Internet led me to great coffee at both.
Now for longer road trips it's harder but it can be found if you look. Sure you may have to drive a bit out of the way but it's worth it.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I will grab a coffee if going on a long drive when filling up. BP wild bean café.
To me the sipper coffee cup lids can make a great coffee average but when driving it will do.

I will grab a coffee if going on a long drive when filling up. BP wild bean café.
To me the sipper coffee cup lids can make a great coffee average but when driving it will do.

Micky D's will fill a thermos for the price of a large coffee. They may even make a fresh pot for you too since you are getting a couple "refills" at the same time.

I've done this many times.

GREAT to have a warm cup of coffee tasting milk and sugar on a long drive.

I am super opinionated about this. Anyone who doesn't truly love cheap diner joe or truck stop brew is just posing, and is not a real lover of coffee, IMNSHO.

Sure, it's not the latest third-wave single-origin roastery blend. But for what it is, it is awesome, especially when you really need it. There's no real words to describe that feeling of the first sip of a hot mug when you just rolled in to a stop in the middle of a 400-mile motorcycle trip in the rain, thawing yourself out gripping the steaming mug.

I mean, if anything, being a poor college student does the trick too. So so many nights up studying at the local diner.

Top Bottom