What's new

Gas Station Coffee- you can't beat it !

I'll just say this. I am most certainly biased, but I perceive an imbalance of respect given to coffee and tea in this forum.

In my previous post in this thread, I had this in mind when I mentioned the title of a fictional upcoming thread.

If such a thread did come into existence, you would not find a majority of people chiming in with agreement on the virtues of crappy tea.

It should also be said that gas station coffee isn't coffee. It is a drug. It is a caffeine delivery service, and nothing more. It would be like discussing crappy cheap malt beverages in the Speakeasy, or if someone had started a thread extolling the virtues of shrink-wrapped packages of 4-5 cigars at the nearest convenience store.

Maybe we could all take a trip into the Darkroom and discuss why we love disposable cameras so much.

To do so would be an insult. People have given their time and advice to help everyone improve and further enjoy whichever hobby they associate the most with on B&B, and as a result, we have several forums tailored to meet the needs of just such niches.

A thread like this belongs in The Barbershop, I would say. It has its place. A forum dedicated to the art of coffee and tea is not it.

This is not out of snobbery, but out of respect. Every coffee has a market. Not every market is the same. The Cafe' is a forum with a specific quality-minded target market. Reading any of the other threads on coffee, and especially on tea, would reveal that instantly.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who actually enjoys C-market coffee.. as I stated, there is a market for every coffee. But this forum is not that market.

Take that however you like, but please consider the perspective that's just been presented.

Jasonian, you build a superb case for your point (and without any snobbery or denigration to boot).

John, I could easily reference a dozen or more men unmoved by perfectly prepared french press coffee, a close comfortable shave with traditional lather and a perfectly keen blade, or any other such luxurious/gourmet/top shelf experience. To them, it isn't better. How do you account for that? These aren't ignorant men, they're just not convinced.

Perhaps it's not all that important that you can answer, since it's already been pointed out that we're not really here to discuss that.

Perhaps it's not all that important that you can answer, since it's already been pointed out that we're not really here to discuss that.

Clearly, I don't have all of the answers.

But in the end, people like what they like.

Some people are also resistant to any form of change.

If you have drunk canned coffee all your life, it's possible that the supposedly superior gourmet coffee won't taste good to you, as it will taste radically different.

The time commitment of our shaving methods alone will turn a lot of people off.

Gourmet products, and traditional products are not for everyone.

A thread like this belongs in The Barbershop, I would say. It has its place. A forum dedicated to the art of coffee and tea is not it.

But this forum is not that market.

I fully agree with you. I am honestly surprised there were not more coffee aficionados stepping foreword to condemn the dreck that is robusta coffee, and extol the virtues of top quality arabica coffee.

Last edited:
There's a gas station chain in my province and they sell a French Vanilla type of coffee, out of a coffee machine. You have your choice of Irish Cream, English Toffee. ...but the French Vanilla is the one for me.

Now I know some will call me a caffeine Philistine.....but c'mon :biggrin1:....you can't tell me even if you are a aficionado of haute cafe beverages ....that you don't occasionally....maybe when you're on a road trip....sneak a gas station, fancy coffee drink and enjoy it...as you drive your Euro sedan....down the 401 or I-29.

What's your favourite gas station coffee drink ?

Just good, ol' fashioned bold black coffee, decaf if I can get it.

I'll just say this. I am most certainly biased, but I perceive an imbalance of respect given to coffee and tea in this forum.

In my previous post in this thread, I had this in mind when I mentioned the title of a fictional upcoming thread.

If such a thread did come into existence, you would not find a majority of people chiming in with agreement on the virtues of crappy tea.

It should also be said that gas station coffee isn't coffee. It is a drug. It is a caffeine delivery service, and nothing more. It would be like discussing crappy cheap malt beverages in the Speakeasy, or if someone had started a thread extolling the virtues of shrink-wrapped packages of 4-5 cigars at the nearest convenience store.

Maybe we could all take a trip into the Darkroom and discuss why we love disposable cameras so much.

To do so would be an insult. People have given their time and advice to help everyone improve and further enjoy whichever hobby they associate the most with on B&B, and as a result, we have several forums tailored to meet the needs of just such niches.

This is not out of snobbery, but out of respect. Every coffee has a market. Not every market is the same. The Cafe' is a forum with a specific quality-minded target market. Reading any of the other threads on coffee, and especially on tea, would reveal that instantly.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who actually enjoys C-market coffee.. as I stated, there is a market for every coffee. But this forum is not that market.

Take that however you like, but please consider the perspective that's just been presented.

Interesting post. I'm not surprised to see members articulate their positions. After all, that's what B&B is about. However, I am surprised to see the presumption to tell a poster where his thread should or should not be. I don't think that exclusionary spirit is what we're about here. There have been a million threads about Williams and Tabac that deride their efficacy and take pokes at their fans. But, for the most part, that's all done in a spirit of good fun. I don't see that here. Frankly I think that the Mods do an effective job at moving treads and we ought to leave it to them.

I think if you're adept enough at shaving you can get an excellent shave from an ordinary can of shaving cream and a multi-blade razor. A true craftsman can rise to the occasion. And take pleasure in it. People do it everyday.

On the other hand, I think that a real connoisseur can find value in the small and humble things in life. I wouldn't want to reverse the paradigm and say that there's nothing better than a cup of coffee late in the afternoon at Burger King. But I would hate to be so pretentious that I couldn't savor a cup of coffee at a diner counter with old friends or the first sip of a takeaway from Wawa on a cold night when I've been driving since morning.

Thank you, Nid Hog. Your response is wonderful. You know the true value of life and living. Unfortunately, not all do.

Interesting post. I'm not surprised to see members articulate their positions. After all, that's what B&B is about. However, I am surprised to see the presumption to tell a poster where his thread should or should not be. I don't think that exclusionary spirit is what we're about here. There have been a million threads about Williams and Tabac that deride their efficacy and take pokes at their fans. But, for the most part, that's all done in a spirit of good fun. I don't see that here. Frankly I think that the Mods do an effective job at moving treads and we ought to leave it to them.

I was intending to express an opinion rather than give advice about moving threads.

I also find the comparison between shaving and coffee to be severely lacking. I also do not feel compelled to share the details as to why this is the case.

As a proclaimed (though not self-proclaimed) "snob", I cannot honestly confess to "sneaking" c-market coffee for pleasure at a gas station or any other retailer.

Also, for the record, McDonald's coffee has been in the "Premium" tier for a few years now. It should also be noted that "Premium" and "Specialty" are not the same. They are actual terms referring to actual grades of coffee.

For the record, I don't even really like coffee or tea, so obviously I'm coming at this from a completely different angle than the afficionados.

I suffer through green tea for the anti-oxidants, and put up with coffee for the social aspect of sitting around after dinner or at Starbucks with friends. I've tried the good stuff, and I swear to god I prefer the cheap stuff. YMMV and all that.

Nobody has mentioned Sheetz coffee? Man, the house blend hits the spot for me. Also, I never knew so many people didn't like DD coffee! It's always been tasty to me.

For an everyday coffee, I have Maxwell House! :thumbup1:

Like I said earlier... whatever works for you. We are talking about coffee... if you like gas station coffee, so be it.

I think comparing it to fresh roasted beans that you grind and prepare at home, with love, is a lot like comparing a CVS brand disposable razor with Barbasol to Gillette superspeed with a feather blade and MWF (or something like that), or grocery store plonk to a fine bottle of wine, etc etc

However, I don't think anyone intended to make those comparisons... they were just saying they like coffee from the gas station.

It's not exactly gas station coffee, but I find Tim Horton's to be really good. And you can buy it for home use a couple of dollars cheaper than Starbucks/ Seattle's Best Coffee which is always a bonus. :tongue_sm

It's not exactly gas station coffee, but I find Tim Horton's to be really good. And you can buy it for home use a couple of dollars cheaper than Starbucks/ Seattle's Best Coffee which is always a bonus. :tongue_sm

We may actually have something in common :laugh:.

At home, I drink Tim Horton's Decaf, my wife....Tim Horton's Coarse Grind.

We buy it at a local Canadian grocery store. My wife makes the coffee and although I probably should admit to a certain amount of bias....it is...after her fine touch....the best coffee I've ever enjoyed.

She and my daughter are excellent cooks....I find any beverage, any meal they make...... excellent. To the point that I'm consistently disappointed at the fare from most restaurants....even those which, legitimately pride themselves on their food.

Last edited:
Man, I wish I had a Canadian grocery near me.

On the other hand I wish I had me some real good BBQ restaurants near me. :biggrin1:

I just get to read about, or watch Guy Fiero on food tv show, tuck into real good BBQ in the southern USA.

In the best of both worlds I'd have easily accessible BBQ and I'd wash it down with Tim Horton DeCaf.

In the best of both worlds I'd have easily accessible BBQ and I'd wash it down with Tim Horton DeCaf.

I was going to suggest you could do both, as I was assuming Tim Horton's has locations in Texas, but it appears all of the Tim's US stores are in the eastern US. :lol::lol:

There is a Tim Horton's about 500 feet from my house, but I only go there about twice a month. :lol::lol:

I was going to suggest you could do both, as I was assuming Tim Horton's has locations in Texas, but it appears all of the Tim's US stores are in the eastern US. :lol::lol:

There is a Tim Horton's about 500 feet from my house, but I only go there about twice a month. :lol::lol:

Timmy's is crack. While I would choose a well made cappuccino most days, sometimes I get the craving for a double double and a sour cream glazed, and seeing as they are everywhere it's an easy fix.

Top Bottom