What's new

Gas or Electric

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No mention of propane???

proxy.php

Propane is in the same category as gas to my thinking...you're cooking with flame. I wub propane. :001_wub:

I would love a gas stove! I wish I had one but I would have to have the gas company run lines into the kitchen and have a tank brought in and refilled on a regular basis. I might yet!

Mike

It's not that hard, but my house is pier and beam. When I first bought it a couple of decades ago the house was total electric. It didn't take but one winter of paying the bill for the electric central heat for me to have lines run and a 500 gallon propane tank set. We got a propane cookstove, hot water heater, and house heater. Winter expenses went way down.

Don't know if where you live will allow a big propane tank, but at home the only utility available is electricity. I'm on a well for water. I do have an electric well pump but the bill is not that much and if power goes out I plug it in to the generator. On my propane things the hot water heater has a pilot light as does the house heater, and if the electric piezo stovetop igniters don't work you can light them with a match.

Last edited:
In fairness to Badgerstate36, gas is great for high heat searing in commercial kitchens.

In my home, I don't cook like that. I simmer more than sear...and can play a smooth top stove like a violin.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Meh, I'd gladly give up my smooth top. My biggest gripe is that I don't like how long it takes for a heating element to cool off, glass is a great insulator. I'm used to it now but I still prefer the way gas allows for greater control.

Gas . . . always gas. Better to cook with overall, does not dry food out in the oven the way electrics do, and no residual heat on the stove top. Well, some, but it's not as bad as electric ranges.

I love my induction stove top, and the electric, convection oven.
Also as I get older, no worries about leaving it on and causing a fire.

The lady of the house prefers electric cooking, while I prefer gas. But as the house came with an electric range, that's what we're sticking with. Converting it to gas would be a chore.

Gas stoves are much more versatile and controllable than electric.
Electric convection ovens seem to heat more evenly than gas.
Which is why I bought a combo.

Only first hand experience is with wood in it's various forms/fuels, so far so good. Haven't travelled far enough off the beaten track to hit upon coal or dung.
dave

Oh, gosh, spent a couple years in Mother Earth News mode in the 70s. Heated with wood, coal, cooked with wood.

It is dirty. Soot, soot, soot. Recall cooking the Thanksgiving turkey. Had to rotate the bird every thirty minutes. One side of the stove/oven was hotter than the other.

Cooking and heating with wood requires deliberation. And kindling.

Wood / charcoal is OK but only outdoors(!) Having read the posts here, I think if I was renovating a kitchen again, I would still go with an electric oven, but my hob would be mixed, gas burners and a couple of electric rings, either halogen or induction. Main reason is simmering with a gas burner can be difficult and if it's a small diameter the heat is concentrated on a small part of the pan, whereas an electric plate is more even. Both here and at the house we have brought a portable electric plate for that very reason.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've used both and really can't tell the difference in the finished product. Gas was great for baking evenly but the new electric stoves bake really well.

I'm just starting to use a glass top range and it takes a little adjusting but still works well. I am using the AllClad pans now with the glass top where I used cast iron mostly with the gas.

Top Bottom