What's new

Gas or Electric

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Which do you prefer...gas or electric cook stoves? The range top or oven, either/or.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh...I forgot to throw this into the mix.

Neither.

Stew and cobbler, plus grilled steaks.

dsc_0007-2-jpg.913412

dsc_0004-2-jpg.914804

proxy.php

dsc_0010-2-jpg.913414

Indoors - I'd like to try gas, (do have a 64,000 btu propane burner i fire up in the backyard, that's fun), but i've only ever cooked on old school electric ranges with conventional ovens. Tried to use my sister's induction stove for stir frying last Christmas and wasn't impressed.
dave

Separate gas hob and electric oven. Funny story - when we were renovating the place in France I went ahead and purchased a gas hob along with all the kitchen units. When they were delivered (by which time I was back home in Singapore) my builder emailed me to say was I aware that the house was not on mains gas(!) Due to lack of space and various EU regs we ended up buying a small locker thing attached to the outside wall which houses a bottle of gas. Duh.

Gas for me. You can still cook dinner, tea, supper in a power outage.

Some of the newer ranges will not work in a power outage. Electric valve controls...even the cook top won't light.

However since the Gas range only uses 110v you can easily put it into a generator (or jumppack) and run it. :)

I prefer gas for both, the wife was not too happy to deal with the learning curve going from electric ovens to gas ovens. I think we've finally figured it out though but the early days were dark days...

Gas is so much cheaper and I can run it on my generator, I've gone to a gas dryer as well so I no longer need 220v for any circuits so it makes it easier to run my whole house. Only exception is my central AC.

Some of the newer ranges will not work in a power outage. Electric valve controls...even the cook top won't light.

However since the Gas range only uses 110v you can easily put it into a generator (or jumppack) and run it. :)
My range hood will not work during a power outage either. Using the gas range without the hood turned on is not an option here, unless I can insure proper ventilation.

Gas for stove top. Indifferent re oven. Undecided so far as to whether an induction stove top could substitute for gas. I think I would ideally like to have an induction "burner" available as well as gas burners.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've only had electric ovens, so I really cannot say what I prefer. For a range, though, you'll have to pry my gas range from my cold, dead hands.

I would love a gas stove! I wish I had one but I would have to have the gas company run lines into the kitchen and have a tank brought in and refilled on a regular basis. I might yet!

Mike

Top Bottom