What's new

Garlic

My wife and I love garlic. We were at Costco today, we saw a bag of garlic, maybe 4 pounds (I am not exactly sure). We usually run out of garlic at times when we NEED it, so we bought the bag. We just got back home and I counted them and we have 31 heads of garlic!!

I've seen on some cooking shows where they take a bunch of garlic, mince it and put it in a jar and mix a little olive oil with it. Has anyone done this and how does the olive oil change the taste of the garlic? I would imagine the garlic will change the olive oil, which is one of the things I would like, as I said, we like garlic.

What would be the proper procedures for doing this as well? Minced finely or just a rough chop with some finely minced pieces? I don't want to use all 31 heads, we are going to save a few, but is using a food processor even feasible too? That is a LOT of garlic to chop!!!

The olive oil is just used to preserve the garlic. A fresh clove will last a long time in a dark cool place, like a refrigerator drawer. Chopped and stored in oil could last years.

Cooking shows and busy kitchens use a lot of garlic, so they chop it up and keep it submerged in oil where it's air tight. You can buy fresh chopped garlic in oil at any supermarket here in the north east, as well as everywhere else I'm sure.

The only use I've ever had for the oil was making white pizza. I'd spread the oil over the dough along with some of the garlic. The garlic flavor in the oil goes well with that, as well as the minced garlic. Usually a recipe starts with some browned garlic so the oil isn't a problem.

I would never use garlic stored in oil for certain dishes like a tomato and celery salad or scungilli salad where the garlic is an important part of the flavor, and not just there to accent the flavor. I think it is fine so long as its going to be cooked.

As for the taste, it still taste's like fresh garlic, but doesn't have that 'just skinned and chopped" flavor or scent. It's like slicing an apple before dinner, and eating it for desert 20 minutes later. Still great, but not like it would be if you just cut into it.

I grow my own garlic, and usually harvest about 10-20 pounds a year, so I hear you. It will keep for quite a long time in a dark, cool place. I keep it in a loosely sealed brown paper bag in my basement which works well.

I would advise keeping cut garlic around for more than a week, even in olive oil. It is too risky from a health perspective.

Better start cooking!

Storing garlic in olive oil could allow growth of Clostridium botulinum (botulism bacteria). That's not good eats.

Edit to add: We keep a few heads of garlic in a open jar in a dark cool cabinet. It keeps for weeks. I did buy a big woven bundle of garlic once, probably 30+ heads, but didn't get through it before it started to shrivel. Might consider dehydrating it. If you want to go through lots of heads quickly, try the roasting it and using it for a spread on toasted bread. It's great that way, different, nutty, without the sharp garlic flavor.

Last edited:
I tried the roasted garlic, once. My wife and I didn't really like it as much as everyone raves about it, unless I am doing it wrong. I would cut the top off, drizzle olive oil on the exposed cloves, wrap in foil and bake for maybe an hour at 350 degrees.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
+1 on the raw garlic advisos.

Take some of those heads of garlic, cut off about 1/4" or so from the end opposite the root, brush with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, et voila- roasted garlic. Squeeze it on French/Italian bread with butter and oil then broil for super garlic bread. When roasted, the sharp flavors mellow significantly, and take on a sweet, earthy flavor.

In a ramekin or something similar, cover peeled cloves with olive oil and cook very slowly at about 200 degrees or less for an hour or so, and you've got garlic confit- very handy stuff, and it will last a few days since it's cooked.

Aiglio y olio, anyone?
Make some refried beans with lard or bacon and lots of garlic.
Hummus.

No shortage of garlic recipes, that's for sure.

Garlic can be stored in an acidic environment to prevent growth of botulism spores. Apparently chopped garlic stored in white wine will keep perfectly safe for months. I don't know how much the wine would effect the flavor.

Oh, and garlic stored in olive oil is perfectly safe if stored in the freezer. Makes it a bit less convenient to use that way, but you could always do the old ice cube tray trick and have a quick dose of oil and garlic ready to go whenever you want to use it.

5 whole garlic heads
1 cup Canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Peel outer layer of skin from the garlic heads and then cut away the top part of the heads to expose some of the flesh. Place the heads in a garlic roaster or a shallow baking dish. Pour Canola oil over the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour. Remove the cover and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Drain the oil through several layers of cheesecloth into a sterilized jar. Label with the date and refrigeration instructions. Use within 1 week. Makes approximately 1 cup. The garlic pulp may be made into a paste and serve with meat or warm bread.

Sadly, my wife is allergic to garlic, which means i do not get to eat it unless away from home for 3-4 days. Funny thing is, when i get back she can smell it on me!

marty

As others have said, garlic in oil can be a problem. Somewhere in the 90's it developed that people were getting sick from it and that's when we switched to chopped garlic in water. I think that the real problem with garlic in oil was a lack of refrigeration, people just left it out. That gave it a bad rap. The garlic in water held up just fine in our professional kitchens.

I tried making the Frugal Gourmet's garlic salad once. I messed it up though by using elephant garlic (those giant cloves) instead of the standard stuff. Needless to say it was very strong tasting and turned me off to garlic completely for at least several months.

My wife is very interested in growing our own garlic, and other herbs as well. Can anyone recommend a good variety for cooking, and where to buy?

My wife is very interested in growing our own garlic, and other herbs as well. Can anyone recommend a good variety for cooking, and where to buy?

There are hundreds of varieties of garlic, and they are about the easiest darn things to grow. Your best bet is to find a farmers market and get hard-necked garlic instead of the soft-neck variety they sell at the supermarket. The taste is far superior. I grow about 6 varieties every year, ranging from German white to Spanish Roja.

I usually mince a bunch of garlic in a food processor and then store it in the freezer in a Tupperware. It makes it convinient while cooking. I just scrape off a bit and put it into my pan and it tastes great to me.

The olive oil is just used to preserve the garlic. A fresh clove will last a long time in a dark cool place
Yeah, I mean, I keep my garlic in a basket on the kitchen counter which is not in direct sunlight and it keeps forever. I'm whittling down the current head and I've probably had it over a month and it's still perfectly good.

I'd imagine a bread box or just a paper bag would be a perfectly fine place to keep it as well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
One thing that uses a lot of garlic and is for garlic lovers :)biggrin:)

Take a full head, chop the bottom off, don't peel it. Roast it by itself. When it's all cooked, you can squeeze it out of the peel. I had that in tortillas, with a roast, with steak, etc. It's strong and make sure you grab some licorice candy to kill the garlic afterward...

Other than that, I make my own Tzatziki. Very easy.

1 cup of greek yogurt
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2-3 tablespoon of olive oil
2-3 minced clove of garlic
Salt/pepper
A bit of mint leaves minced
1 cucumber shredded

Mix together and voilà!

Top Bottom