What's new

gamey smell in soap?

It is a different soap base because it was a bar of soap for cleansing rather than shaving.
Didn't realize you were talking bath vs shave soap, but its funny in this instance as the Tsuka bath soap is made with Beef Tallow just the same as both Tsuka and Barbershop shave soap, so technically they all have the same tallow base...

When Grooming Department first came out with their Icarus formula soaps, there were numerous complaints about a gamey funky scent. That formula is based on bison tallow (which is typically obtained from kidney fat), lamb tallow, and goat milk. I found it necessary to air out the early versions of Icarus for about a week before the gamey scent diminished to the point I could use the soap. Fortunatley, the new Milksteak formula used by GD is not quite as gamey.
I'm sure you meant "declaration grooming"

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Didn't realize you were talking bath vs shave soap, but its funny in this instance as the Tsuka bath soap is made with Beef Tallow just the same as both Tsuka and Barbershop shave soap, so technically they all have the same tallow base...

Stirling's bath soap feels alot less greasy than their shave soap.

I tried the sample shampoo bar but I found it way too harsh. But it does resemble the bath bar more than the shave soap.

Commercial soap making is a lot different then artisan. Much higher temps, pressure, brine separation etc. Trust me they can remove as much excess fat and glycerin as they want, if not all. Any extra emollients, humectants or additives they want to add are done after the base is made and before the slug is extruded or milled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
VHD to my knowledge just has loads of glycerine, not 10 distinct oils as in this real world example

Aloe Vera Juice, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Mango Butter, Camelina Oil, Fragrance, Marshmallow Extract, Glycerine, Cera Alba, Sunflower Lecithin, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Larch Arabinogalactan, Tara Gum, Erythritol, Glucomannan (Konjac root), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Silk Peptides, Propanediol, Beta Sitosterol, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium hydroxide, Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Betaine, Sasha Inchi Oil, Meadofoam Oil, Allantoin, Argan Oil, Shea Olein, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Fragrance, Colloidal Oatmeal, Sucrose Cocoate, Sodium Gluconate, Calendula Extract, Ceramide 3, Liquorice Root Extract, Beta Glucan, Broccoli Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Hyaluronic Acid, Grape Seed Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Green Tea Extract, Alpha Bisabolol, Inositol, Histidine, Lysine, Arginine, Sodium PCA, Sodium Alginate, Aspen Bark Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf extract, Phospholipids, Resveratrol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).
That's a LOT LOT LOT of ingredients!!! :eek2:

I have Stirling Barbershop and have never noticed the smell you mention. The only thing I smell is vanilla. Lots of vanilla. I love vanilla.

Anyone know for sure that there are soapmakers with unsaponified tallow in the soap?
I’m under the assumption this could eventually get some sick.
Soap that is a number of years old, with unsaponified animal fats, being lathered around the mouth.........

Anyone know for sure that there are soapmakers with unsaponified tallow in the soap?
Soap that is a number of years old, with unsaponified animal fats, being lathered around the mouth.........

The tallow would probably go rancid at most, oxidation. That's just disgusting, not really dangerous.

Tallow used for soapmaking is rendered tallow. That means it has been cooked and impurities have been removed.

Generally, a soapmaker will time the addition of fats into the reaction so that some will be saponified and some will be left unsaponified. Thus, the final properties of a shaving soap depend not only on the concentration of ingredients, but on when they are added to the process. Chefs do the same thing when preparing dishes for consumption; some ingredients are added early, some only at the end.

...Soap that is a number of years old, with unsaponified animal fats, being lathered around the mouth.........
There are places in the world where people put prepared lard or tallow on toast, like we might use butter. Sounds gross, but some nutritionists claim lard is healthier to eat than butter.

I think I'm just going to bin this soap. Today when I was shaving with it, my skin was uncomfortable. There was a burning sensation wherever I had lathered with it.

I got hold of some balm from Love My Skin called Barbershop 1920... and it smells similar to Stirling's Barbershop soap. Probably because they are using the same fragrance oil. So my guess is a great deal of the scent is due to the fact there's definitely a rum note in there. The LMS balm comes across as a kind of gourmand (food) fragrance, similar to Thierry Muglier's Angel for Men. It's like a cupcake with a faint musky tobacco flower note. But it doesn't smell as greasy or as heavy as Stirling's Barbershop soap. It's not too bad: not really my cup of tea, but I could see myself using up the 1 oz sample I was given.

The regular Barbershop FO, BTW, smells like Lucky Tiger mixed with a green herbal background, and a touch of bay, musk, and oakmoss.

Tallow used for soapmaking is rendered tallow. That means it has been cooked and impurities have been removed.

Generally, a soapmaker will time the addition of fats into the reaction so that some will be saponified and some will be left unsaponified. Thus, the final properties of a shaving soap depend not only on the concentration of ingredients, but on when they are added to the process. Chefs do the same thing when preparing dishes for consumption; some ingredients are added early, some only at the end.
The truth/fact is soap makers that include butters and waxes like Shea or lanolin do NOT time their cook or calculate the lye concentration to purposefully leave unsaponified tallow in their soap...period. The benefits of tallow (and many other butters and fats) do not require it to remain in the soap in unsaponified form, the unsaponifiable portions of the fats posses many benefits themselves. If a soap maker has added butters and other oils they never intended the tallow to remain. It is true that tallow goes rancid in time but it is also true other oils and fats go rancid as well, and probably go rancid much faster than tallow (Shea butter and lanolin are much more stable than tallow and most other oils). With the number of ‘artisans’ selling soaps these days I imagine anything is possible...but those who are serious soap makers who have done their homework and have experience know better.

reading through this thread proves how quickly people will jump to conclusions about things they don’t really understand. The OP smelled a “gamey” smell that he thought might be associated with the tallow or lanolin in the Stirling soap ...and everyone jumped on the idea that tallow was the culprit and Stirling made a gamey smelling tallow soap. Stirling is a VERY popular and widely used soap (I’ve sampled 20+ scents myself), his product is very consistent and those that have used it in the last 2-3 years would know that. The OP gave several indications that the issue might have been with the barbershop scent itself but few were willing to leave the tallow alone. In the end it WAS the barbershop scent that was the major offender.

I've smelled other artisan soaps, and I have the same issue with any of them, though. The tallow is a significant part of the soaps odor.

I can see why alot of artisans use such heavy scents, the tallow will mask a truly delicate scent, like aquatic or fresh fragrances. My sample of B&M Waves doesn't smell like an aquatic fragrance at all.

Top Bottom