What's new

Gamechanger Review

I've only had a couple of shaves with my new Gamechanger with the Halo handle, but I am very impressed with it overall. There are a few threads that deal with the matte finish of the head, which I believe detracts from the appearance, particularly given the shiny Halo handle. Following instructions from other members of this Forum, I was able to bring the head up to a comparable shine as the handle in 10 minutes with a cotton cloth and some Brasso.

Aside from that issue, the razor is finished quite nicely, and I find it very appealing. Loading the blade takes some getting used to, however, because the pins are on the base plate, not the cap. I will probably get used to this, but I find that I have to pay very close attention to where I'm putting my fingers to avoid slicing them - something that I never pay attention to when using a three piece razor with the pins on the cap. Once the blade is seated, it is perfectly aligned without any wiggle room.

How does it perform? For me, it is the least aggressive razor I've tried. It is also reasonably efficient, well balanced and provides great agility. What does that mean? Good question, and there are at least a couple of recent threads attempting to define those terms. For purposes of my review here are my definitions:

Aggressiveness - how likely I am to wind up with nicks, cuts or irritation using my normal prep and my regular two pass shave.

Efficiency - how close the resulting shave is, using my normal prep and regular two pass shave.

Agility - how easily I can maneuver the razor around my face, under my nose and chin and along my neck.

Since all of this is so subjective, here is how it compares to other razors I own or have owned in the past couple of years. My scale starts with an Edwin Jagger DE89 as the standard for comparison, since it is a very popular razor, and I have set the 10 point scale with the DE89 as 5 in all three categories.

upload_2018-7-23_13-32-57.png

I find my GC to be bit more efficient than my DE89. However, I haven't tried a Polsilver or Permasharp in my DE89. I had moved on from the 89, before I discovered these magical blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review! I just had my second shave with mine, and it was far more enjoyable and close than the first. Following some advice from a thread about a different razor, I tightened it snug, then backed the handle off about 1/4 turn. After doing this, I got a bbs shave with no Knicks or irritation. I'm using Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blades ATM, but would like to try a Kai blade in them soon. The more aggressive base plate is apparently coming in about a month, and it's on my list of things to buy. Razorock did an exceptional job with the fit and finish on this razor by the way.

From our previous discussion, not a fan of the top cap and intend on trying your method soon. Without considering my thoughts on the top cap, I do like how it closely resembles my pre-war Tech and it is a good looking razor.

As far as the shave, I started out with Kai. With any razor I own, the Kai blade makes them all enjoyable, well for me. The same with the GC, BBS easily in 2 passes and cleanup.

For a better review, should try Yellows, but I am impressed with how it shaves so far with my favorite blade.

My results are with an Israeli Personna (aka Personna Red), a blade that I have used in all of those tested razors. Maybe I'll pop in a Feather next time to see if that changes anything. Today I did one side of my face with my Rockwell 6C (plate 5) and the other side with the Gamechanger. I asked my wife to judge the closeness. In the morning she picked the GC and in the afternoon the 6C. I couldn't feel any difference, even though when I used them consecutively I thought the GC gave a closer shave. Tomorrow I'll switch sides, just in case that's a factor.

It's certainly a smooth razor and quite good looking. To increase aggressiveness/efficiency I have used a single blade shim without loosing any IMO smoothness. It allows me to get a DFS using the Personna Red or Polisilvers.

As I just posted on the other thread, got the finish I wanted with Flitz grey and a microfiber cloth by hand. Don’t need a lot of pressure. Pretty darn close to a Timeless finish. Did the baseplate also. Total time about 20 minutes taking my time. This was the finish I expected when I ordered so I’m happy.

Attachments

• 15410D48-0561-4994-87EF-27133AA702C4.jpeg
    15410D48-0561-4994-87EF-27133AA702C4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 03C3CAC2-C0A2-44E8-847B-B13DFECF4E5B.jpeg
    03C3CAC2-C0A2-44E8-847B-B13DFECF4E5B.jpeg
    809.6 KB · Views: 53
As I just posted on the other thread, got the finish I wanted with Flitz grey and a microfiber cloth by hand. Don’t need a lot of pressure. Pretty darn close to a Timeless finish. Did the baseplate also. Total time about 20 minutes taking my time. This was the finish I expected when I ordered so I’m happy.
Looks great! I'm leaving mine the way it is until I get the more aggressive base plate. If I get it and love it, I may be giving it a polish as well!

Looks great, but I now feel lazy for not doing the baseplate.

The machining marks will remain on the sides of the baseplate and some other areas but it really shines it up nice. Use the terry side of a towel or microfiber cloth to make it easier on the baseplate. Glad I did it.

The machining marks will remain on the sides of the baseplate and some other areas but it really shines it up nice. Use the terry side of a towel or microfiber cloth to make it easier on the baseplate. Glad I did it.
Since I didn't want to seem like a slacker, I polished the base plate as well. I happened to be in the Dollar Store buying party items for my grandson's birthday party when I saw 2 microfiber cloths for $1. I figured I couldn't go wrong, and used the microfiber on the baseplate when I got home. It worked much better than the old T shirt - so much better that I gave the cap another polishing. Now the Gamechanger looks every bit as good as it shaves.

Great review, @Steve_in_CT! Based on your results, would you say that the Gamechanger is your favorite razor so far?

Also, your "agility" metric is good. I might incorporate that into the proposed safety razor survey that we're developing over in another thread. Thanks! :001_smile

Great review, @Steve_in_CT! Based on your results, would you say that the Gamechanger is your favorite razor so far?

Also, your "agility" metric is good. I might incorporate that into the proposed safety razor survey that we're developing over in another thread. Thanks! :001_smile
Yes, I think that after using the Gamechanger for a couple of weeks, I would move it's efficiency rating up a notch. I still like the Rockwell 6C, but it's largely the agility rating (and the lower aggressiveness) that give the Gamechanger an edge over the 6C.

I just got done using mine, and it is definitely growing on me. The angle is super easy to find, it maneuvers with ease, and it gets those stupid hairs right under my nose better than any other razor I've used. I got a bbs shave yesterday with the 37c, so I just needed a touch-up to knock out my thick stubble. It got me a dfs, while being mild enough for me to use it left handed!

Tried the Game Changer with the Yellow and smooth sailing so far. My guess is that it would prefer a rigid blade like the Kai and Yellow I’ve used so far. Will try a Shark next go around to be sure.

Top Bottom