What's new

Gamechanger fans and the SS Lupo.

I’ve been away from the forums for a while as my pandemic work environment has become a bit more time consuming. However, I’ve been inspired to return and share my experience with my recent acquisition of a Lupo .72 stainless razor.

I have, for roughly the last year and a half, been a pretty regular user and fan of most of the Gamechanger razors. Strictly on the topic of the SB versions I’ve really wanted something that fell between the two gaps. When I stumbled upon the introduction and notification of a restocked stainless Lupo .72 I figured WTH, I’ll give it a try.

fit and finish need not remarks, it’s excellent fit for the mating process is on par with my gamchangers maybe a little nicer. I’ve never had any issues with the finish of my razorock stainless razors, even those bought as seconds or blemished, and found the Lupo to bs enough as good as all the others.

Now, on to the performance and experience with this razor after a few weeks of regular use. I tend to use the Gamechanger razors on a seasonal basis. During the colder months I typically use the .84 and am more prone to skip a day or two per week and my skin handles it just fine, and I get a great shave. Warmer weather I shave daily and us the .68 with a bit more effort with touch ups since the razor isn’t as efficient. Well, the Lupo has been my perfect sweet spot when it comes to a DE razor. The razor is very efficient and very comfortable. I do not chase BBS because it’s not important to me, I just can’t stand rogue whiskers or stubble. With the Lupo, I’ve been at around 90% BBS with a two pass shave. Taking note of this, I admit this razor has got me chasing BBS, because why not go all the way when you’re already so close. So I now lather up for a third/touch up pass to bit a few of the odd spots with the wild grain, and knock it all down. I’ve been very pleased to find that I am not getting any irritation, zero ingrowns (the reason I typically didn’t go ATG in some areas) and almost no weepers (blade dependent).

For me, this razor has come as a bit of a pleasant surprise. I expected it to have a shortcoming of some sort much in the way the Gamechangers have had for me. But the fact is, this razor has basically met and somewhat exceeded my expectations. I’ve taking down as much as a 5 days of growth as well as performed 14+ daily shaves with this razor and not felt the need or wished I had used a different tool.

I have about 6-8 brands of blades that I will use, some I know will give a weeper or two when new and if I’m not careful with a Gamechanger 84 SB or Jaws. I have found that these (feathers and Astra SP) are the same way in the Lupo 72 as well. But with the Lupo 72 I’ve yet to encounter a blade it rotation that stands out either ahead or behind the rest of the pack.

While I’m not about to liquidate my broad assortment of razors I’ve wrecklessly acquired over the last couple of years, I have to say, I think I’ve settled on what I like. For new razors, I would feel perfectly well equipped with just my Lupo .72 and my GC .84JAWS for the rest of my life. Add my prewar tech and my Black Beauty for a couple of vintage DE options and I’m a happy boy.

I hope this was informative or at the very least interesting for anyone curious about the Lupo 72. I bought it blind without keeping up on any anticipation and hype around the razors release. As always YMMV.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I’ve been away from the forums for a while as my pandemic work environment has become a bit more time consuming. However, I’ve been inspired to return and share my experience with my recent acquisition of a Lupo .72 stainless razor.

I have, for roughly the last year and a half, been a pretty regular user and fan of most of the Gamechanger razors. Strictly on the topic of the SB versions I’ve really wanted something that fell between the two gaps. When I stumbled upon the introduction and notification of a restocked stainless Lupo .72 I figured WTH, I’ll give it a try.

fit and finish need not remarks, it’s excellent fit for the mating process is on par with my gamchangers maybe a little nicer. I’ve never had any issues with the finish of my razorock stainless razors, even those bought as seconds or blemished, and found the Lupo to bs enough as good as all the others.

Now, on to the performance and experience with this razor after a few weeks of regular use. I tend to use the Gamechanger razors on a seasonal basis. During the colder months I typically use the .84 and am more prone to skip a day or two per week and my skin handles it just fine, and I get a great shave. Warmer weather I shave daily and us the .68 with a bit more effort with touch ups since the razor isn’t as efficient. Well, the Lupo has been my perfect sweet spot when it comes to a DE razor. The razor is very efficient and very comfortable. I do not chase BBS because it’s not important to me, I just can’t stand rogue whiskers or stubble. With the Lupo, I’ve been at around 90% BBS with a two pass shave. Taking note of this, I admit this razor has got me chasing BBS, because why not go all the way when you’re already so close. So I now lather up for a third/touch up pass to bit a few of the odd spots with the wild grain, and knock it all down. I’ve been very pleased to find that I am not getting any irritation, zero ingrowns (the reason I typically didn’t go ATG in some areas) and almost no weepers (blade dependent).

For me, this razor has come as a bit of a pleasant surprise. I expected it to have a shortcoming of some sort much in the way the Gamechangers have had for me. But the fact is, this razor has basically met and somewhat exceeded my expectations. I’ve taking down as much as a 5 days of growth as well as performed 14+ daily shaves with this razor and not felt the need or wished I had used a different tool.

I have about 6-8 brands of blades that I will use, some I know will give a weeper or two when new and if I’m not careful with a Gamechanger 84 SB or Jaws. I have found that these (feathers and Astra SP) are the same way in the Lupo 72 as well. But with the Lupo 72 I’ve yet to encounter a blade it rotation that stands out either ahead or behind the rest of the pack.

While I’m not about to liquidate my broad assortment of razors I’ve wrecklessly acquired over the last couple of years, I have to say, I think I’ve settled on what I like. For new razors, I would feel perfectly well equipped with just my Lupo .72 and my GC .84JAWS for the rest of my life. Add my prewar tech and my Black Beauty for a couple of vintage DE options and I’m a happy boy.

I hope this was informative or at the very least interesting for anyone curious about the Lupo 72. I bought it blind without keeping up on any anticipation and hype around the razors release. As always YMMV.
Well you wrote a great review, your conclusion is very much what I have experienced also. The Lupo is a little better than the Razorock game changer SB IMO that is already a high mark standard of excellence. I find loading and removing blades a little better with the Lupo 2nd gen .72 and is a little better in efficentcy with a little more aggression or blade feel than the RR GC .84 also. I find getting under the nose really awesome because of the notched rounded corners with no blade tab overhang and its narrow head profile just a great design for this area of a persons face. I usually do a 2 pass shave with pickups and I'm in the DFS, BBS range 95% of the time and that is my sweet spot & usually a carefree shave most of the time is a bonus.
The Lupo .72 is still a daily driver for some beard types IMO, I have a medium growth type beard and did a 7 day continuous shave with no problems.
I seem to hit a lot more BBS shaves that I do not always drive for(BBS over rated IMO, but I will take it when it comes along). My BBS shaves are usually 4-6 hrs lasting before I feel a little stubble coming up.
I have over 40 razors in a large rotation so I try and use different brand names for certain days of the week and the Lupo .72 will be in there a lot over my remaining days of shaving hopefully. I really enjoy A.S.R razors , Schick injectors and Razorock razors it seems.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

Nice review, thank you!

For the past year I've used almost exclusively Game Changer razors to shave with daily. I first started playing around with the GC line a little even before that but never fully committed. When I really started to prefer the GC line I started with the .84 OC and Jaws and then eventually worked my way through every single plate they offer. Maybe 6 or 7 months ago I landed on the .68 OC and have been very happy using that as a daily razor for some time now. I'm not exactly sure what it is about that .68 OC plate, but it just works really well for me and has caused me to sell off some far more expensive razors.

When the new Lupos were announced it kind of threw me into a bit of a RAD spell, I ordered the .72 and .95 plates. After a couple weeks playing with those I also ordered the DC plate because OC razors tend to work a little bit better for me. I still prefer the .68OC GC, but I think if RR releases an OC Lupo down the road it might take the place of the GC.

Some food for thought since you seem to prefer very similar razors to what I prefer... as part of my crazy RAD from the Lupos I also decided to give a few Timeless razors a try. Long story short, the Timeless .68 OC in SS is everything I love about the GC .68 OC, but with a whole different level of smoothness and efficiency. I would venture to say you'd have a similar experience given your thoughts on the GC and Lupo razors. Might be worth giving a shot if you see one pop up for a good price.

I can not relate.
On the contrary ,the scalloped 0.95
I used to have was too heavy for
me ,too bulky and almost always
gave me a slight irritated face.

While ,the Lupo .95 is as agile and
light as a ...cheetah !
Hands down more efficient and
way smoother .

I was never able to see and feel
the “whole different level “ .
In fact ,yes ,I can !