What's new

GameChanger .84 Safety Bar vs Merkur 39c vs Fatip Piccolo

As someone who highly values smoothness and efficiency(but smoothness more so) I am interested in the GameChanger. I already have the Piccolo and Merkur 39c among which I prefer the Merkur 39c. The Fatip seems to be more tuggy(Even though I hear people raving about it's smoothness all the time). In addition to these I also have the DE89(equally smooth as the 39c but inefficient even when shimmed) and the Muhle R41(My worst enemy "Sir Tug-alot". When I first got the Fatip it was like heaven compared to the R41). I also have Testina Gentile arriving in a couple of days because curiosity got the better of me(AHHHH who am I kidding. Doc told me I have "RAD".He says the treatment is to stay off B&B) . So what say you fine shaving gentlemen?? And before anyone says get a Gillette Tech/New SC/Old type that will be for some other time.

Jaws or GC OC....smooth. Even their Mentor is OK. Not sure which blades you use, but R41 is not tuggy for me, a significant blade feel. Try a "sharp" blade nd open the angle a bit.

Jaws or GC OC....smooth. Even their Mentor is OK. Not sure which blades you use, but R41 is not tuggy for me, a significant blade feel. Try a "sharp" blade nd open the angle a bit.
Have tried everything with that razor. We weren't made for each other. She's a beauty just not my beauty

I'm betting you will love the Testina Gentile; I find it among the smoothest of my (too many) razors. It is also quite efficient on my face. I may be in the minority, but for all its other excellent traits, I did not find the GC particularly smooth.

I'm betting you will love the Testina Gentile; I find it among the smoothest of my (too many) razors. It is also quite efficient on my face. I may be in the minority, but for all its other excellent traits, I did not find the GC particularly smooth.
Quite interesting that there are those that say the Testina Gentile feels smoother than the OC and the other half who say they are equal in smoothness. Looking forward to testing Gentile

Don't have much experience with the Fatip, OC heads don't work well for my sensitive skin, but GC68 SB works great but there 4 on top the list in the following order
1 Timeless Ti68
2 Rex Ambassador
3 Brass Karve SB-B and Homelike START .69

I am guessing you will like the Testina. Fine razor. As for the Game Changers, I have tried them all and for me, Jaws is at the top. Smooth and efficient, no irritation. I have found all the GCs to be smooth and do not tug. They are great ATG. I use the .68 when I need something mild. I can use the OC and Jaws daily. The.84 did not work for me, smooth and efficient but caused irritation after 3-4 days of use. For comparison, I can use the Fatip OC daily. The R41 will cause irritation after 2 days use and I find it tugs ATG.

I have thd Fatip Grande, same head as the piccolo, and I find it a bit too aggressive. I gave the Fatip Gentile to a friend who is very happy with it, for me it was ineffective.
Merkur heads are ok for beginners, I sold mine ages ago.

Now the RazoRock Gamechanger 0.84 is in my opinion in a different league, and it is my favorite DE. Super smooth, plenty effective and it never bites.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really like the FaTip razors.

Decided to compare and did two full shaves with my FaTip Piccolo SE, one on 11/28 (Gentile SB base) and one on 11/30 (OC base), both using a Grande handle.

Here are my notes:

Shave 20191128:

Prep/Pre-shave: Neutrogena wash then applied Cremo
Brush: Shavemac 23mm Badger
Bowl: Copper Shaving Bowl
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Razor: FaTip Piccolo SE Gentile-SB Plate, Grande handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Post-shave: Alum, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Stetson
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, ATG plus some buffing and XTG touch--up

Solid, Wife Approved BBS.

Had two small weepers that were gone with the cold water rinse but no nicks, cuts or irritation.

9++/10

The FaTip Piccolo SE with the Gentile (SB) base is such a pleasure to use. Mild and efficient (not R41 efficient, calm down ;)), it gets the job done in a relaxing, mellow and comfortable manner. I'll use the OC plate tomorrow with everything else the same.

My face is happy. :)

Shave 20191130

Prep/Pre-shave: Neutrogena wash then applied Cremo
Brush: Shavemac 23mm Badger
Bowl: Copper Shaving Bowl
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Razor: FaTip Piccolo SE OC Plate, Grande handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Post-shave: Alum, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Stetson
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, ATG plus some buffing and XTG touch--up

Solid, Wife Approved BBS.

As with the SB base, I had two small weepers that were gone with the cold water rinse but no nicks, cuts or irritation.

9++/10

The FaTip Piccolo SE with the OC base is as much a pleasure to use as the SB base. More efficient than the SB, it also gets the job done in a relaxing, mellow and comfortable manner.

My face is definitely happy. :)

The only difference in hardware and software between the two shaves is the Gentile base vs. the OC base. The OC base is more 'efficient', but both resulted in "wife approved" BBS shaves.

Hope this helps. :)

YMMV

Top Bottom