What's new

Gamechanger .84: my worst shaves ever. Help me figure out why.

After my last post I thought it was important to point out that I have all the other GC plates, .68 SB, OC and JAWS as well as the .84 OC and JAWS. All of those plates work well for me. Of those plates I like the .84 JAWS most. The .68 is best for easy daily shaves and the .84 JAWS gives the closest shave. I wanted to like the .84 SB but it just didn't work out. They are all very well made, no alignment issues and I highly recommend the Game Changers.

So a few months ago I got one for myself. Right from the start, I couldn't figure it out. It was not intuitive as many said, was either pulling out whiskers or just gliding and not cutting them at all.
@Ivan_Leonidov, I had such experiences with certain razors and after some analyzing I realized it was ALWAYS SB-plate razors with little-to-no blade feel. Each and every time I switched to the OC-plate with he same razor, I got better results.

I figured it has to do a lot with my shaving technique, as my stubble is getting increasingly gray (and tougher) there are spots where I need to blade-buff extensively to get a BBS. The OC allows lather to penetrate deeper and so the shaved area of the skin is always kept well lubricated. With SB plates that just doesn't happen.

So, as trivial as it may sound, perhaps just try switch the plate and give OC a shot.

I have the lupo 0.95 dual comb. The open comb side works really good. I also exclusively use my karve razor with an OC F plate. Some razors, like the tatara razors clamp the blade more rigid with the OC base plates, because there is no cutout for the lather channels.

I'll also chip in and say there's no point in trying to understand the whys of the razor not working out, plenty of other razors out there that with different geometry that'll do better for you. Different strokes for different folks, YMMV and so on.

My mantra for a great shave from any razor always has been zero pressure and find the angle starting by riding the cap.

I get the same quality of shave from a gentle Mamba 53 with less blade exposed and held rigid as well as a karve G plate or the one I am using this week, The classic ATT H1 which is supposed to be harsh singing razor with its 2 mm blade exposure.

Unless indicated by the manufacturer to ride the bar like Blackland states for the Dart, it's always shallow angle finding it by gently lowering the handle till it starts cutting.

However zero pressure stays as an absolute for any razor, with variable angle and strictly going wtg, xtg and only then ATG with a good well hydrated lather.

If I ever feel the need to increase pressure, I recognize that I've not yet found the right cutting angle revisit to find it without applying pressure impulsively to compensate.

All new age stainless steel razors have a lot of design thought put in by the manufacturer using sophisticated cad software, so there is one angle which will work, if we are patient enough to discover it with zero pressure.

Last edited:
I think there are a ton of variables. I have a GC 84 and it works great for me with any blade I have tried.

If it doesn't work for you, I would put it aside and stick with what works. Maybe inspiration will strike and you will narrow down what the issue may be.

Thinking it might be more helpful if the Game changer users here state if they are Steep (bar), Neutral or shallow (cap) users when stating that it works or doesn't work for you. I have both GC 84p (bar) and GC 68p (bar) and use a steep angle and the work for me.

M

mtcn77

I tried Merkur 37C, again - beautiful razor. However, same issues present itself. I cannot use it with an aggressive blade. Even with Shark I get razorburn. It is not like doing much and is so mild, but ATG and it makes an awful impression.

I enjoy how my face gets all shiny after using it, except for a couple of loose cannon spots. What to make of it! I have the same predicament it seems to me: "sometimes, more efficient is less aggressive".

Had the same issue with the Karve CB brass razor. No matter what blade or base plate, it left my skin sore. None of my other razors do that. Chalking it up to it just doesn't work for me and I need to sell it.

Have you tried a wider blade like a Kai? That could increase the blade exposure and make the razor cut whiskers for you. Just an idea to try.
There is only a couple things that could be the issue IMO. It seems like you like blade feel from you back ground of shaving and you could be pressing a little harder to feel the blade(RRGC.84 has barely positive blade exposure from my testing) I like a Kai SS blade in my RRGC.84 because you get a little more blade feel.
The only other issue is you might have QC issue with the razor which is a rarity, I have the Lupo .72 & RR GC .84 and enjoy both razors. The RR GC .84 does not have as much blade feel as a the LUPO.72 IMO with a Gillette standard blade. Try a KAI SS blade before giving up!
View attachment 1261487
Have some great shaves!
thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll try with a Kai when I can get hold of a pack, and if it doesn't go I'll just put it aside. No big deal really... :)

I want to write an update on my bad experiences with the GC .84. I got hold of a pack of Kai and tried them straight with the GC. And oh boy, it really was all an issue of blade exposure. You guys were right: the width of the Kai gave the razor that hair more bite to make it work.

I'm honestly impressed. With those blades, the razor went from unusable to a nice, efficient, smooth shaver. I see now why people love it. Not the ultimate razor for me sure, but it's nice to play with.

Off to buy a 100-pack of Kai now! :D

I want to write an update on my bad experiences with the GC .84. I got hold of a pack of Kai and tried them straight with the GC. And oh boy, it really was all an issue of blade exposure. You guys were right: the width of the Kai gave the razor that hair more bite to make it work.

I'm honestly impressed. With those blades, the razor went from unusable to a nice, efficient, smooth shaver. I see now why people love it. Not the ultimate razor for me sure, but it's nice to play with.

Off to buy a 100-pack of Kai now! :D
I had the same experience. For me, the negative blade exposure resulted in me over-shaving. A Kai fixed that issue. I also like the .84 Jaws plate with milder blades.

So... I saw an 68OC on the bay and figured I'd give it a go, given the poor performance I got out of the 84P I suppose that seems like glutton for punishment but if it's equally effective but smoother it might be a decent enough compromise for rotation (the 84P will go whenever I get around to it!).

First shave will be tonight, so I shall report back later.
Intending to give it a few days alone, then A-B it with my best OC razors, the New SC and RFB New LC - if it can stand up in the company of those two I will be very happy indeed... If it's no good I'll simply sell it again, no biggie

Just shaved with the Game Changer 84p and a nice comfortable smooth shave. Alum block had a slight sensation on the side of the neck (nothing like stinging). Three pass WTG, XTG and ATG with some buffing ending in BBS and very nice indeed. Now I am torn about this or the 68p... was going to sell the 84p.... only one can stay!

So... I saw an 68OC on the bay and figured I'd give it a go, given the poor performance I got out of the 84P I suppose that seems like glutton for punishment but if it's equally effective but smoother it might be a decent enough compromise for rotation (the 84P will go whenever I get around to it!).

First shave will be tonight, so I shall report back later.
Intending to give it a few days alone, then A-B it with my best OC razors, the New SC and RFB New LC - if it can stand up in the company of those two I will be very happy indeed... If it's no good I'll simply sell it again, no biggie

So first shave with the 68OC...

Far smoother and at least as efficient as the 84P - I like OC's in general, and this one performed very well first time out.

2-passes to DFS+, not bad at all (especially considering last time I did two passes with the 84P I had to crack out the New SC for a third pass to get an acceptable result).

Not as smooth as my New SC (on standby, just in case 🤣) but I have a lot more shaves on that one so that's probably not a fair comparison just yet, but nonetheless a comfortable experience.

First impressions only, but I think this one will be a keeper, whereas the 84P will not.

Yes it's early days, but the moral of the story is (or at least looks like it will be) that sometimes you don't have to change all that much to go from something that performs well for you to something that really doesn't.

20210601_203158.jpg

Top Bottom