What's new

Gamechanger .68 open comb

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
So the Game Changer .68

First I had the SB plate. I bought it used. It's a nice mild shaver but there seems to be something wrong with mine as the two sides sound and feel different. One side is much smoother than the other ATG.

I got the .68 OC base plate. What a shaver. Fantastic. A tad more efficient than the SB maybe but much smoother. Anyone who like a Tech or 34C shave or similar, and wants a SS razor, should try the .68 OC. It clamps the blade better than the SB, but also bare in mind my SB seemed a bit off somehow. I'd rate the .68 OC as one of my all time favourite razors, and I like razors on the milder side. It is just....great.

I have the JAWS base plate coming my way as we speak. Opinions to follow. Had my first shave this morning with a ATT S1 and found it a bit rough ATG. We shall see. I shall persevere with it. It certainly didn't blow my socks off like the .68 OC, although the end result was as good.

My benchmark is how comfortable I can shave ATG. Especially those bits we all have that are guaranteed to cause a problem, or hurt a bit, if the razor isn't top notch. That means top notch for my face.

I also like mild razors, and with a sharp blade work best for me. The GC SB .68 is the best I've ever used, I've been choosing it over all my other razors, and now only use my Rockwell 6S occasionally now. I'll definitely be getting the open comb version as soon as they are back in stock.

I think there may be something not right with your SB plate, mine doesn't feel the way you've explained yours does, and the blades are clamped down very well in mine.

Even though this razor is very mild, I find it to be very efficient with good sharp blades, and even with 4 days of growth I can get a BBS shave without any problems, even with my old person tough beard. 😁

I usually don't shave every day, but I wanted to test this one to see how it would work as a daily shaver. My results after 30 straight days of shaving were great.

I also like mild razors, and with a sharp blade work best for me. The GC SB .68 is the best I've ever used, I've been choosing it over all my other razors, and now only use my Rockwell 6S occasionally now. I'll definitely be getting the open comb version as soon as they are back in stock.

I think there may be something not right with your SB plate, mine doesn't feel the way you've explained yours does, and the blades are clamped down very well in mine.

Even though this razor is very mild, I find it to be very efficient with good sharp blades, and even with 4 days of growth I can get a BBS shave without any problems, even with my old person tough beard. 😁

I usually don't shave every day, but I wanted to test this one to see how it would work as a daily shaver. My results after 30 straight days of shaving were great.

I can get great shaves with the SB as well. But mine is somehow off on one side. I can't see anything wrong with it and it and it is straight and level everywhere when put against a glass surface. It does sound different though on both sides. It feels different as well and one side is fantastic against the grain while the other side is a bit rough.

It clamps fine from what I can see. It's off though I just know. When I say the OC clamps better, the SB clamps at 3 points...

1591722843736.png

and the OC clamps all along the base plate..

1591722931579.png

How much difference that makes I know not but I'm loving my OC.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I can get great shaves with the SB as well. But mine is somehow off on one side. I can't see anything wrong with it and it and it is straight and level everywhere when put against a glass surface. It does sound different though on both sides. It feels different as well and one side is fantastic against the grain while the other side is a bit rough.

It clamps fine from what I can see. It's off though I just know. When I say the OC clamps better, the SB clamps at 3 points...

View attachment 1111056

and the OC clamps all along the base plate..

View attachment 1111058
How much difference that makes I know not but I'm loving my OC.
Sound strange, are the posts the same size, equal height and diameter, on both base plates? Thats the only thing I can think of. On my SB plate it's so tight that some blades are a little difficult to remove from the posts, which I like.

Sound strange, are the posts the same size, equal height and diameter, on both base plates? Thats the only thing I can think of. On my SB plate it's so tight that some blades are a little difficult to remove from the posts, which I like.
Same. Getting the blade off can be a little dangerous with shaky hands!
I use the .84 in both SB and OC. I prefer the face feel of the SB and find both equally close.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Same. Getting the blade off can be a little dangerous with shaky hands!
I use the .84 in both SB and OC. I prefer the face feel of the SB and find both equally close.
Sometimes I use some very thin plastic tweezers to slip under and grab the end tab and gently lift it. It's a little bit of a pain somtimes, but I like that there's absolutely no play in the blade and never any alignment issues.

They would appear to be yes. I've no idea what's wrong with it.
No matter now, I'm more than happy with the OC.

Awaiting the arrival of your JAWS with baited breath. I appreciate mild razors with an eye towards efficient as well so getting a solid comparison from someone having experienced both would be invaluable. Thanks for the great feedback so far.
A few shaves in with the Jaws. I can feel more blade. It feels slightly more efficient. Maybe. But it loses comfortability. I prefer the OC and SB by a huge margin with the OC being on top.

To me the OC improves the SB, but the Jaws neither improves the SB or OC. It loses the Game Changer .68 smoothness and comfort, enough for me to sell it on.

A few shaves in with the Jaws. I can feel more blade. It feels slightly more efficient. Maybe. But it loses comfortability. I prefer the OC and SB by a huge margin with the OC being on top.

To me the OC improves the SB, but the Jaws neither improves the SB or OC. It loses the Game Changer .68 smoothness and comfort, enough for me to sell it on.

Thanks for following up. I hate to compromise comfort for a smidge more efficiency so it does sound like the OC is going to be right up my alley.

I'm awaiting the GC "ordinary" OC .68 and .84 plates, so thanks for your review. I was not very attracted to the JAWS, on the grounds that if fewer teeth were better, someone would have been all over it before now.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread too, which I have been reading in the spirit of "measure twice and cut once", I think the Game Changer OC .68 might be the thing I have been seeking.

Last edited:
Since September, I have been using my .84 SB for touch-up after using a straight. After reading this thread, I decided to try my .68 JAWS for a touch-up, and when I ever so carefully shaved over a large mole the razor caught it, which reminded me that in the past I had reserved my .68 OC and .68 JAWS for 2 or 3 days of growth. Funny how you sometimes forget things.

Top Bottom