What's new

Game Changer question

I notice that there are many good comments on the Game Changer 0.84 razor. I only have two razors that I use regularly, and was thinking of adding a third. Looking on their website, I see there’s multiple versions of this razor. One is Open Comb and the other is not but it has a note saying “this is the more aggressive Game Changer”. Which of these two would you recommend to someone?

for background, Ive been mostly using the Fatip Slant and Merkur Futur and getting good results with both except the Futur is a bit bulky, and these two are pretty much all that Ive been using the past couple years. I would just stay with what I have, but reading all the positive comments makes me wonder if there might be something even better than what I now have.

Neither of your current razors would be considered mild, so for a GC you probably would want the .84p safety bar. Aggression wise the 84 SB is considered medium. The next step up is the open comb version of the 84 and is considered medium aggressive. There is one GC plate above that, the 84 Jaws OC. It's an open comb with less teeth and wider spaces between them. It is considered aggressively aggressive. So the SB and OC would be a good choice. You could also go the other way with a GC .68 OC which is bordering on medium and mild-medium.

I notice that there are many good comments on the Game Changer 0.84 razor. I only have two razors that I use regularly, and was thinking of adding a third. Looking on their website, I see there’s multiple versions of this razor. One is Open Comb and the other is not but it has a note saying “this is the more aggressive Game Changer”. Which of these two would you recommend to someone?

for background, Ive been mostly using the Fatip Slant and Merkur Futur and getting good results with both except the Futur is a bit bulky, and these two are pretty much all that Ive been using the past couple years. I would just stay with what I have, but reading all the positive comments makes me wonder if there might be something even better than what I now have.

Of the two razors, which do you prefer? Your two razors are especially interesting in that one relies mostly on blade exposure and has almost no gap (ranges from 0.05mm to 0.10mm depending on the position on the slant) and the other is a notorious gap monster. Which setting on the Futur do you like best?

Most importantly, what are you looking for in your next razor?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Reading your background on current razors you are using you will find the GC .84 mild. I have a RR GC.84 and find using a extra wide Kai blade(.009 thousands of inch wider than a standard Gillette blade) helps in my shave . The RR GC.84 is well made and has a slight positive blade exposure. My choice I would recommend would be the mid range Razorock Lupo .95 or Lupo.72, built to last, excellent design and a smooth carefree shave. Easy razor to manipulate under the nose and it will not disappoint most experienced shavers. If you shave daily the Lupo .72 might be a better choice for a daily driver and gives a similar shave to the GC .84 with a Kia SS Blade IMO. The RR GC .84 is a tame mid range razor.
Lupo collage #3.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have Game Changer 84 Open Comb and it is very comfortable for daily shaves.
It doesn't leave my face raw even after 2 to 3 pass shave daily.

I had a chance to use Lupo 95 for a few weeks, and it was a pleasure to use.

Caveat: I couldn't shave daily with it because the next day stubble was negligible.
Even if I used it daily with number of required passes reduced to 2 Pass shave, it is a very well made razor and no irritation or raw feel on the face.

Both are good razors, but after using the Lupo 95, my Game Changer 84 Open Comb seemed like a mild razor.

Ps:
I have dense (but not extremely dense), tough beard and usually need 3 pass + touch up to get DFS+ to accidental BBS shave from my Game Changer 84 Open Comb.

To understand that in relative terms, I use my Parker Variant Adjustable @ 4, 5, 6 settings depending upon the number of days unshaved.
Usually settings 4 and 5 are useful for me.

Reading your background on current razors you are using you will find the GC .84 mild. I have a RR GC.84 and find using a extra wide Kai blade(.009 thousands of inch wider than a standard Gillette blade) helps in my shave . The RR GC.84 is well made and has a slight positive blade exposure. My choice I would recommend would be the mid range Razorock Lupo .95 or Lupo.72, built to last, excellent design and a smooth carefree shave. Easy razor to manipulate under the nose and it will not disappoint most experienced shavers. If you shave daily the Lupo .72 might be a better choice for a daily driver and gives a similar shave to the GC .84 with a Kia SS Blade IMO. The RR GC .84 is a tame mid range razor.
View attachment 1281851
Have some great shaves!
I like mild to aggressive razors, What about blade feel of these two (.95, .72)?
Lupo .95 is more aggressive, it have more blade feel than Muhle Rocca, which you recommend lupo .95 or .72?

I have Game Changer 84 Open Comb and it is very comfortable for daily shaves.
It doesn't leave my face raw even after 2 to 3 pass shave daily.

I had a chance to use Lupo 95 for a few weeks, and it was a pleasure to use.

Caveat: I couldn't shave daily with it because the next day stubble was negligible.
Even if I used it daily with number of required passes reduced to 2 Pass shave, it is a very well made razor and no irritation or raw feel on the face.

Both are good razors, but after using the Lupo 95, my Game Changer 84 Open Comb seemed like a mild razor.

Ps:
I have dense (but not extremely dense), tough beard and usually need 3 pass + touch up to get DFS+ to accidental BBS shave from my Game Changer 84 Open Comb.

To understand that in relative terms, I use my Parker Variant Adjustable @ 4, 5, 6 settings depending upon the number of days unshaved.
Usually settings 4 and 5 are useful for me.
What setting on parker variant corresponds Lupo .95?

What setting on parker variant corresponds Lupo .95?

There is no direct correlation between the two razors because the blade gap and exposure vary a lot.

The best I can offer is that for Variant Adjustable, setting 5.5 seems comparable to the efficiency of the Lupo 95 but since blade gap and exposure is less in Lupo 95, I find it's shave much better than Variant Adjustable at similar efficiency.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like mild to aggressive razors, What about blade feel of these two (.95, .72)?
Lupo .95 is more aggressive, it have more blade feel than Muhle Rocca, which you recommend lupo .95 or .72?
There is some blade feel in the Lupo.72 but not that much & I do not own a Mule Rocca for a comparison.
Have some great shaves!

Of the two razors, which do you prefer? Your two razors are especially interesting in that one relies mostly on blade exposure and has almost no gap (ranges from 0.05mm to 0.10mm depending on the position on the slant) and the other is a notorious gap monster. Which setting on the Futur do you like best?

Most importantly, what are you looking for in your next razor?

I feel most comfy with the slant, and get great results, and I guess I’m just open to adding some variety. The Futur is the very first razor I tried, and as a beginner at the time, that was a bad move. I didnt get cut much but I got horrible razor burn. I hated it and had it sit in a box packed away a couple years and recently gave it another try and immediately got great results. I just need to be super alert and slow with it, but it does get very close. I’d say I get even a little closer with it than the slant. I just don’t like how bulky it is. I use setting 3 for the first two passes and setting 1 for a final pass. If I can find something that gets as close as the Futur but as easy to use as the slant, I’d be happy. Just looking to add one more, not build some giant collection. currently I use the Futur for the bulk of the work and the slant to get under the nose and chin. Hopefully I find something where I don’t have to use two razors for the ultimate shave.

I feel most comfy with the slant, and get great results, and I guess I’m just open to adding some variety. The Futur is the very first razor I tried, and as a beginner at the time, that was a bad move. I didnt get cut much but I got horrible razor burn. I hated it and had it sit in a box packed away a couple years and recently gave it another try and immediately got great results. I just need to be super alert and slow with it, but it does get very close. I’d say I get even a little closer with it than the slant. I just don’t like how bulky it is. I use setting 3 for the first two passes and setting 1 for a final pass. If I can find something that gets as close as the Futur but as easy to use as the slant, I’d be happy. Just looking to add one more, not build some giant collection. currently I use the Futur for the bulk of the work and the slant to get under the nose and chin. Hopefully I find something where I don’t have to use two razors for the ultimate shave.

I have the Futur clone, and I know what you mean about the bulky head. Whoever designed it either didn't have a nose or doesn't shave. 😋

I also have the Lupo .72, and I agree that it's is a terrific razor. It's slightly more blade feel than I prefer, but I tend to prefer mild razors (like the gamechanger .68). Even so, the Lupo is remarkably smooth and efficient, and definitely a great option.

One other razor you might consider if you like the Fatip FOCS is the Fatip Grande/Piccolo. It's a pretty good balance of smoothness & efficiency as well, and the price is right too at $25 vs the Lupo at $70. Both are great razors.

I kept getting tempted with the GC, but thought it would be a bit on the mild side. Especially when I have been using an R41 daily for the last few months.

However I came across a second hand Jaws 84 and gave it a go. The Jaws knocked the R41 for 6, as it was smoother and closer than the R41.

The Game Changer is also so well made, with perfect blade alignment, finish and fit. They also to work well with a wide range of blades.

With all the different base plate combinations most people will find a combination that works. From the mild .68SB to the most aggressive .84 Jaws, and several other options between.

The Lupo 95 finally arrived. It looks nice, well made, and surprisingly hefty. I waited a couple days to get my scraggly look of a bum, by not shaving for a few days, and last night I took it for a spin.

It felt very comfortable and efficient. Zero irritation. I could see myself using this daily but I usually shave every other day. Wow though, solid BBS with no effort. Wife is happy too.

for some reason, the threaded post seems that the head screws on seems like a weak point. It should be fine though. It’s just one use but I might have found a winner here thanks to those who suggested it and recommended it. Thank you. I never even knew this razor existed.

for future experimentation, is it possible to just buy the heads of other razor rock razors? Seems they should use the same thread style. Just shows how little I know.

Reactions: ewk
for future experimentation, is it possible to just buy the heads of other razor rock razors? Seems they should use the same thread style. Just shows how little I know.

Yes, it uses a fairly standard #10-32 thread that many razors including Gillette use, and they sell most of their heads separately.

Some non-US razors use a metric M5-0.8 thread.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Yes, it uses a fairly standard #10-32 thread that many razors including Gillette use, and they sell most of their heads separately.

Some non-US razors use a metric M5-0.8 thread.

Razorock uses the metric system M5 x 0.8.
M5 is currently most of the specifications of Modern, including Timeless and Wolfman in the US.

Rockwell / Karve / Yates / Gillette vintage are 10-32.

Last edited:
The Lupo 95 finally arrived. It looks nice, well made, and surprisingly hefty. I waited a couple days to get my scraggly look of a bum, by not shaving for a few days, and last night I took it for a spin.

It felt very comfortable and efficient. Zero irritation. I could see myself using this daily but I usually shave every other day. Wow though, solid BBS with no effort. Wife is happy too.

for some reason, the threaded post seems that the head screws on seems like a weak point. It should be fine though. It’s just one use but I might have found a winner here thanks to those who suggested it and recommended it. Thank you. I never even knew this razor existed.

Glad you enjoyed it....it really is one of my favorite razors...I swapped the handle on mine with a nice ergonomic curvaceous SS handle from Yaqi and it looks beautiful

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom