What's new

Game changer .84

I'm waiting for Italianbarber to have a "build your Game Changer" page. You can pick all or as little base plates you want and the handle you want.
As long as they have all the components in stock, you can do that now. At first I bought a GC84 complete razor and a .68 base plate. A couple of weeks later, I purchased a handle and a top cap. I basically built a GC64 with the pieces.

As long as they have all the components in stock, you can do that now. At first I bought a GC84 complete razor and a .68 base plate. A couple of weeks later, I purchased a handle and a top cap. I basically built a GC64 with the pieces.
Yeah, I know I could do that. However, I have this sneaky suspicion that after ItalianBarber.com gets moved they'll have a GC page where you can build out your kit, and it will be put in a nice box just like Karve Razors, Blackland Razors, and Rockwell Razors are.

Yeah, I know I could do that. However, I have this sneaky suspicion that after ItalianBarber.com gets moved they'll have a GC page where you can build out your kit, and it will be put in a nice box just like Karve Razors, Blackland Razors, and Rockwell Razors are.
That actually would be pretty cool and make the purchase easier than my route. Build your own GC in a few easy clicks.

Apologies because I have to assume this has been answered in one of the many GC threads (I haven't been here much the past year): which baseplate (84 or 68) most closely approximates the #4 baseplate from Rockwell?

Apologies because I have to assume this has been answered in one of the many GC threads (I haven't been here much the past year): which baseplate (84 or 68) most closely approximates the #4 baseplate from Rockwell?

Probably the .68. The Rockwell 4 plate is not terribly efficient.

I have been happy with my GC .84 OC. I only shave three times a week so for me it is perfect. I rarely do ATG but even with one WTG and two XTG, it gives me a nice close comfortable shave.

I don't have a 68 but the 84 even in sb is much more efficient than a 6S plate 4. I'd say it's comparable to plate 6 or a theoretical plate 7. The OC and JAWS base plates for the 84 take it even further

Started into stainless steel DEs with the GC.68 and was impressed. With improved technique now I can daily drive with a feather blade without consequence. Ordered the Rockwell 6S out of curiosity and the right price. A comparison of the two leaves me generally underwhelmed with the Rockwell. I then picked up the GC.84. This was just about to be my favorite most efficient razor to date. I agree that the .84 would be comparable to a theoretical Rockwell plate 7. I can pretty much daily drive with this for a single pass and light touch ups without irritation and a pretty satisfactory shave. Now for a tangent.... like a lot of us here in the wet shave world I previously thought I had sensitive skin, not so much the case now that I have ended the era of abuse with multi blade ctgs. I have since worked up the courage to try my hand at the Muhle R41. I am by no means going to say this is a daily driver and multi pass razor for me. But what I have discovered, is a 1.5 pass shave with a mild blade yields me a BBS with absolutely zero, and I mean zero, irritation even in the more tender spots on my neck... This level of efficiency trumps even the GC84, resulting in fewer passes, hence zero irritation in my case.

Circling back. GameChangers are awesome in my book nonetheless. And since I lol forward to my shaves I still use the 68 and 84 more often as with single pass shaves, I’m not waiting as long between shaves...

My Jaws is amazing, I find it more smooth and comfortable than the SB and it gives a much closer shave. Excellent razor!
proxy.php

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

From the Rockwell website:
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

I have the GC.84 SB and OC. Both are efficient, usually smooth for me and definitely in the razor rotation.

Torn between, "hijacking" this thread and starting the 564th have changer post this month so I decided to do both (I kid... For now.) I am thinking about picking up a RR hawk, the SLOC, and a game changer but am torn on which baseplate.

I like my Gillette black beauty on 7, my Gillette single ring and ball end old type, and my flare tip super speed. I completed OCtober mostly using my two old types.

For some reason I find the Schone significantly harsher than my old types and can't use it as a daily driver for an extended period.

Would love opinions. I figured since this was an established, "can I get an opinion on the game changer?" Thread that it would be appropriate to post here. If you disagree I also welcome abuse (I would prefer if an opinion was attached to your abuse)

This may be a bit off topic, but just wondering about something. I've been getting phenomenal shaves from my GC84 in all three plates SB, OC, Jaws (I like Jaws the best), but ... only with Polsilvers. GSBs, which have been absolutely dead on for me in my Rockwell and Parker Variant, have not worked as well in the GC. Been getting random cuts and kinda raw skin afterward (mainly with the Jaws; the SB plate is more tolerant). This is not a prob because I have a lifetime supply of Polsilvers, but I do have to say the GC seems touchier about choice of blade than my Rockwell. Anyone else experience this?

Torn between, "hijacking" this thread and starting the 564th have changer post this month so I decided to do both (I kid... For now.) I am thinking about picking up a RR hawk, the SLOC, and a game changer but am torn on which baseplate.

I like my Gillette black beauty on 7, my Gillette single ring and ball end old type, and my flare tip super speed. I completed OCtober mostly using my two old types.

For some reason I find the Schone significantly harsher than my old types and can't use it as a daily driver for an extended period.

Would love opinions. I figured since this was an established, "can I get an opinion on the game changer?" Thread that it would be appropriate to post here. If you disagree I also welcome abuse (I would prefer if an opinion was attached to your abuse)

I have a "black beauty" as well and use it on 4 or 5. I like the way a Gillette late '40s Tech shaves as well, and I also really like the SLOC head. I just got a Schöne and it's left me all cut up. I don't think that, for me, it's a keeper.

I haven't tried a GC yet, so I can't advise on those, but I do feel that the SLOC is more mild than the Schöne or the Super Adjustable on 7.

I have a "black beauty" as well and use it on 4 or 5. I like the way a Gillette late '40s Tech shaves as well, and I also really like the SLOC head. I just got a Schöne and it's left me all cut up. I don't think that, for me, it's a keeper.

I haven't tried a GC yet, so I can't advise on those, but I do feel that the SLOC is more mild than the Schöne or the Super Adjustable on 7.

Awesome, Thank you for your input and your frame of reference. I ended up getting the SLOC and look forward to trying it out when it arrives.

I ordered one from IB about 45 minutes ago, with the HD handle with 3 packs of Gillette Nacets, also have the 68 BP one.
Also, I have not used my R89 since the thread snapped off, been about 2 years since, I also ordered a Muhle top cap from maggards shipped to Canada, was tempted to get a sample of Fine American Blend but didnt.

Dear gents owing GC84,
I have two questions about GC84.
The first one regards build quality.
How about GC84's build quality?
It seems to be very clear that GC84 does not have build quality on a par with ATT,
but I hope it does not behind that of ATT severely.
Second, I am now considering to get a SB, Jaws or OC.
After reading some posts here, Jaws tends to be very similar to OC.
Could Jaws (or OC) gain efficiency at sacrifice of much smoothness?
All forthcoming opinions are highly appreciated.

Top Bottom