What's new

Game changer .84

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have the .68, it's very good, not perfect but I doubt the .84 will be suitable, I am done looking for the 'perfect' razor, the .68 is near enough.
I suppose there will always be a newer greater, smoother, closer, more aggressive razor made to tighter tolerances of ever more stainless, stainless steel.
For me it's over, I won't spend anymore money or time on razors.
See you in a month or so

I have more expensive razors, but I grab the GC .84 more often. The .84 is both very smooth and very efficient - not the most of either, but a nice combination of both.

There is something in the male psyche ruthlessly demanding the latest, next best, ultimately most efficient, next level, etc. and constantly inventing new superlatives to describe what I must have next. Call if RAD or whatever you wish, there is a certain unhealthiness in it. I believe it is the basis of what drives manufacturers to keep inventing knowing there are men willing to fork over $$$ to feel that they have arrived at some mystical place of perfection. Until that cycle dies down, only to be replaced by the next ultimate one...which one must have...

There is something in the male psyche ruthlessly demanding the latest, next best, ultimately most efficient, next level, etc. and constantly inventing new superlatives to describe what I must have next. Call if RAD or whatever you wish, there is a certain unhealthiness in it. I believe it is the basis of what drives manufacturers to keep inventing knowing there are men willing to fork over $$$ to feel that they have arrived at some mystical place of perfection. Until that cycle dies down, only to be replaced by the next ultimate one...which one must have...
until it happens :cool:
i hit my stride with the GC .84, and i own a timeless that more often than not sits on the shelf.
this morning was my third shave with an astra sp (i usually use a GSB). it was easily my closest shave of the week. i often use two razors during a shave. not today.
i'd like to try the open comb though. :) my other fave is the SLOC.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
12,000+ years of behavior is hard to undo. ;)

I am getting very close shaves with the Game Changer Razor. I alternate the 68-p & the 84-P base plate though. Its very solidly built.

I enjoy switching mostly between the GC 68, Mamba 70 and Lupo. But I also enjoy other brands like PAA Ascension and the Merkur OC depending if I want very close, just close enough or to vary my routine once in a while. And I have the Parker OC and CC... and that Aluminum Standard Razor... and the iKon OC... Muhle OC... things I keep in a box in the bedroom that were tried but not enjoyed as much - or cut me. Curiosity killed the cat. There just comes a point where one must stop! Oh, I just purchased a GC OC last week. Can't wait to try it!

The Gamechanger .84 has become my go-to, only razor I will use. I also have the Jaws and may pick up the OC .84, but couldn't be more satisfied with the results I get from this razor and my GSB's.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've had my second shave with the GC .84P (not OC), and I REALLY like it. I'm a vintage guy at heart, but honestly, if I could only have one DE Razor for the rest of my life -- I'd choose this one. And this from a guy who has several dozen DE razors. I find the razor VERY smooth -- zero blade feel and almost no audio feedback -- with decent efficiency. I'm now a 2-pass shaver with spot-touch-ups, and I do believe that I got a BBS from this razor tonight with a Nacet blade. Hope that helps.

It's an amazing razor, but I can get just as close with several of my other razors.

Thinking I might sell mine soon.

I've had my second shave with the GC .84P (not OC), and I REALLY like it. I'm a vintage guy at heart, but honestly, if I could only have one DE Razor for the rest of my life -- I'd choose this one. And this from a guy who has several dozen DE razors. I find the razor VERY smooth -- zero blade feel and almost no audio feedback -- with decent efficiency. I'm now a 2-pass shaver with spot-touch-ups, and I do believe that I got a BBS from this razor tonight with a Nacet blade. Hope that helps.
I hear you Fred! I have about 35 vintage razors and love them all, but the Game Changer .84 and .68 keeps up with all and surpasses several of them. I like the variety in my den, but if I had to part with 90%, the GC would have to stay.

Don’t you just love two passes to get to a virtually BBS?

It could be a little bit more aggressive I think a 95 gap would be the perfect razor. It’s a good value and it’s very nicely machined out of good quality steel.

I think the Rockwell plates six gives me a more efficient shave.

The .84 is both very smooth and very efficient - not the most of either, but a nice combination of both.
I agree. The GC .84-P is an extremely well-balanced razor in terms of both smoothness and shaving efficiency.

It is slowly displacing my Slim (my main razor for 35 years) as my everyday razor.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My latest shave with the GC .84P -- this was with a Tibam handle and a first use (both for the blade and for the brand) of a Kai. I got another very close and very comfortable shave after 2-pass and some clean up. I feel like the Kai did a very nice job, but it didn't seem as smooth feeling (or said another way, I seemed to have had more blade feel) than the Nacet. I'm looking forward to trying the Kai in a few other razors, and I continue to be very happy with this razor!!!
proxy.php

Since the GC .84 arrived, it has become the only razor I want to use. Any razor that can make a Feather blade feel and shave like it's a Polsilser SI loaded is the one for me.

I have tried it with other blades, but I consistently get 10 shaves from each Feather blade I use.

I now have a rotation of 1 (out of 16 razors). This razor has put my RAD to bed.

2 passes = DFS/CCS
2 passes and buffing = BBS every time.
3 passes = LBSS (Light bulb smooth & squeaky)

marty

I'm waiting for Italianbarber to have a "build your Game Changer" page. You can pick all or as little base plates you want and the handle you want.

Top Bottom