What's new

Game Changer 84 SB blade recommendations

Have one coming in the mail. Specs say it has small (?) positive blade exposure. Reviews and pictures gave me impression it holds a blade rigid like a Timeless SS or Titanium. Looking for suggestions which blades to try first, which blades work best for frequent GC users. BTW have medium beard with ‘old man’ tough whiskers.

I find that it works well with many different blades and especially the ones that I prefer using with my 34c or DE89. These include the Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Nacet and Platinum, Treet Dura Sharp etc., so I would say blades with above average sharpness.

I don't feel the blade when shaving with it. Sorry I don't own any Timeless so I cannot draw any comparison, but the .84 does hold the blade rigidly.

I love the GC .84 SB. It’s the smoothest razor I own. In fact, it’s so smooth I didn’t think it was cutting at first and, without realizing it, applied way too much pressure. Tried different angles and blades. Almost gave up on the razor! As soon as I realized that the razor was cutting and just let the weight do the work, it became my current daily driver. I don’t find it picky at all regarding blades. Sometimes I want a bit more aggression from it and I’ll use a Feather or a Kai. My go to blades are Nacet and Astra. I think you’ll be very please. Enjoy!

I am really looking forward to the GC 84 SB —- from reviews comparing it to a Wolfman to praising its smoothness it generally gets very good reviews, which is why I pulled the trigger.
Also wonder which angle users find is the ‘best’ angle, neutral - riding the cap, riding the bar? Again just looking for advice how to approach my first shave.

I use the Astra SP in all my razors so can’t contribute much in that regard. The razor is wonderfully smooth and forgiving. I can run around the face without being too mindful and get a great shave. It’s a razor I don’t have to pay much attention to and for me that’s great some mornings.

I have a Timeless .95 Ti.
It has become almost entirely unused since my Gamechanger arrived.
The Gamechanger takes all blades nicely but I have fallen for the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (sharpedge?).
I also use and enjoy.. . . .

Feather
Astra SP
Gillette Silver Blue

Recently I use EUROMAX platinum EMP800, surprisingly smooth and sharp!
It is made by Japanese Steel and manufactured in India.
Not sure the differences between EMP300 or EMP900, with 3 shaves still pretty good.

GC .84-P sb works best with above average sharp blades ,as stated.
-Gillette 7 o’clock SharpEdge (Yellow pack ,Russian)
-Gillette Nacet
-Gillette Rubie Plus
-Gillette Silver Blue
-Gillete Platinum
-Treet platinum or 7Days
-Bic Chrome Platinum
-Feather HI-Stainless
-Concord
-Polsilver /Wizamet Super Iridium
-Astra Super Stainless

...just to name a few .

I’ve had great luck with Gillette Silver Blues and Wizamets.

Just tried a Kai for the first time. Good results but more blade feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The RazoRock GC84-P works well with a wide variety of blades.

My preferred blades for the GC84-P are Wizamet Super Irridium, Silver Star, Personna Israeli Platinum Red.

YMMV :)

I am really looking forward to the GC 84 SB —- from reviews comparing it to a Wolfman to praising its smoothness it generally gets very good reviews, which is why I pulled the trigger.
Also wonder which angle users find is the ‘best’ angle, neutral - riding the cap, riding the bar? Again just looking for advice how to approach my first shave.
I tend to ride the bar a bit.

The 84 is a little hot after a few days of use. I should know, I bought two of them. I've been using the 68 OC and that one is perfect for me with a Nacet.

Tough to say since blade choice is based on personal preference but these four are in my current rotation for both my GC 0.84 and Rockwell 6C

Polsilver SI
Gillette Nacet
King C Gillette blade
Perma sharp

Great freaking razor - you're gonna love it! I would definitely go with the plural in "recommendations" and think about different contexts:
  1. For day after day, you can't go wrong with a Derby Premium or Rapira Platinum Lux - smooth and easy on the face.
  2. To kick it up a notch, go with a Voskhod.
  3. Another notch, go with a Personna Platinum - we're getting sharper but oh so smooth.
  4. And finally, try a BIC Chrome Platinum - almost Feather sharp but smooth.
And then there are the old standbys: Astra Superior Stainless, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless. I did say plural, right?

Appreciate the suggestions, really looking forward to using my GC, just checked and scheduled arrival Oct 30, so will be a long 10 days or so before I can try it. The enthusiastic comments make this razor sound like one of the best. So excited to get it and use it.....thanks again for the ideas.

Just throwing this out there. If you later decide to buy an open comb (OC) plate and are new to open combs, start with the .68 OC, not the .84 OC or .84 JAWS. The .68 OC is noticeably more efficient than the .68 SB. Comparing the .68 OC with the .84 SB is difficult but if the .84 SB really speaks to you, the .68 OC makes for a pairing, especially for those days when you have not shaved for 2/3/4 days.

Top Bottom