What's new

Game Changer .84-P The Last Razor

OK 84 plate came in :)

my thoughts on 1st shave with the GC 84 with persona blue platinum was so much better than the 68 for efficiency OH WOW better loved it enough blade feel in a good way I could really tell what it was doing
it was nothing like my rex (which is to much blade feel for me in a bad way for me) and post I am on fire if over 3 :)

my go to are timeless 68 with comb or straight depending :) and the GC 68

still on the hunt for the fav razor :) I tend to move the top two forward and come back to the others that did not make the cut once a month or so just to double check :)

Also got in a lupo 95 with their Ti handle (kinda heavy feeling but for a few bucks try it) and a 72 plate for the face off of which razorock moves forward the GC or Lupo :)

I've got the .68 sb, .68 jaws, .84 SB, .84 OC. I'm still making final determinations but for now .84SB is tops smooth but efficient as I shave every other day or 3 days. The jaws .68 is nice as well - smoother than expected but with some blade feel. 68 SB takes work but works. .84 OC was nice but I need to use it more.

I've got the .68 sb, .68 jaws, .84 SB, .84 OC. I'm still making final determinations but for now .84SB is tops smooth but efficient as I shave every other day or 3 days. The jaws .68 is nice as well - smoother than expected but with some blade feel. 68 SB takes work but works. .84 OC was nice but I need to use it more.
I pretty much concur with your assessment, but don't remember any blade fee at all on the .68SB. I found it worked well but at the end of a typical 3 pass shave there was a need for more touchup than I though there should have been. And in doing those touchups I usually over did it, resulting in irritation or worse. One could probably mitigate that by a more aggressive blade, or a wider, Kai blade, but I'm not one for experimenting with different blades so I just moved on to what I did have - the .84SB plate. My initial assessment of the .84 plate was that it was more aggressive and had more blade feel than I preferred. I've since successfully migrated over to the .84SB plate. What has made this possible, in my opinion, has been: 1. giving up the idea of shaving daily; 2. allowing more growth between shaves (1-2 days between shaves); and 3. hot shower before shaving and using shampoo as beard prep to further soften the growth. I also use a significantly lighter handle than the bulldog that came with the razor heads.

I pretty much concur with your assessment, but don't remember any blade fee at all on the .68SB. I found it worked well but at the end of a typical 3 pass shave there was a need for more touchup than I though there should have been. And in doing those touchups I usually over did it, resulting in irritation or worse. One could probably mitigate that by a more aggressive blade, or a wider, Kai blade, but I'm not one for experimenting with different blades so I just moved on to what I did have - the .84SB plate. My initial assessment of the .84 plate was that it was more aggressive and had more blade feel than I preferred. I've since successfully migrated over to the .84SB plate. What has made this possible, in my opinion, has been: 1. giving up the idea of shaving daily; 2. allowing more growth between shaves (1-2 days between shaves); and 3. hot shower before shaving and using shampoo as beard prep to further soften the growth. I also use a significantly lighter handle than the bulldog that came with the razor heads.
Cool. I've been successfully using Rapira Lux and gillette silver blues in the .68 jaws and up. Can use Nacet on .68 but may try a kai now. I have several RR handles. The titanium was first and is good but a bit long and light. Bulldog was next and I thought it was too heavy but after some use I got used to it - also like the HD. The value can't be beat but they are on the hefty side.

Curious about the 84 OC and the 84 Jaws. Completely agree about the 64 Jaws as it is my favorite.

To me the 68 I can feel the blade but not in a harsh way more just you feel its there but not harsh at all and just enough to let you know where it is which is really quite nice
the timeless 68 Straight to me has no blade feel you just shave with it same as Henson Mild no blade feel
the lupo for me was yikes feel as in to much blade sharp burning blade :) like my rex above 3
not what I like at all :)

agree the 84 is quickly growing on me and while more blade feel again the Lupo 72 to me has way more in a not comfy again YMMV the 84 is comfy agree with post above less clean up needed than the 68
IMHO anyone buying the GC 68 just get the 84 at the same time !
Anyone knowing the want the 84 can skip the 68 :)

Cool. I've been successfully using Rapira Lux and gillette silver blues in the .68 jaws and up. Can use Nacet on .68 but may try a kai now. I have several RR handles. The titanium was first and is good but a bit long and light. Bulldog was next and I thought it was too heavy but after some use I got used to it - also like the HD. The value can't be beat but they are on the hefty side.
If you like short handles try RR's vintage thin or thick bar handles. The thin version is my favorite of ones they've made so far.

Yea The .68 is similar to efficiency as 34c or a bit less. If u have enough mild razors start with the .84 and go from there.
My aim in getting the .68 was that it was mild enough to allow me to shave every day. Unfortunately it seemed that my beard didn't allow for that. At least with that razor/setup. There really hasn't been a need to shave every day so there was no motivation to put much effort into getting it to work. So on to the .84 and plan B it was.

I have the GC .68 and .84 and though I love Feather blades, I did not like them in these two razors, at all. I felt the shave was too harsh with them, for my face. So, I changed to a little milder blade and got a great shave with both. For me, I think I like the .68 best, though I have to make an extra pass. The .84 is best if a skip a couple of two or three days of shaving, however.

I have the GC .68 and .84 and though I love Feather blades, I did not like them in these two razors, at all. I felt the shave was too harsh with them, for my face. So, I changed to a little milder blade and got a great shave with both. For me, I think I like the .68 best, though I have to make an extra pass. The .84 is best if a skip a couple of two or three days of shaving, however.
Ditto :)
another not a fan of the Feather in the GC 68/84 I tend to favor Platinum blades in the GC 68 which I have the most time with my fav blades in the GC 68 have been the titanium like Persona or Gillette or even the shark so far the newer to me 84 is following in the 68 footsteps of blades that work in the 68 :)
any of the stainless like nacet or yellow 7 oclock or GSB or feather or Kai etc.. others folks love I have not been happy with in the GC but can work in other razors

I recently got the Lupo in 72 and 95 and started with my go to GC blades and was horrid ! dtoday did the lupo 72 and a feather and really was much nicer ! Still to much razor and prefer the GC over Lupo but a large amount !

its is interesting how blades really make or break the comfort in a razor :)

I'm also a big fan of the .84 sb. It glides so well and it's efficient enough to do the job effortlessly. It's my favorite auto-pilot DE razor and since i'm not at home and I didn't want to bring too many razors with me i've got only the GC and I have no regrets.

If Razorock can make a slightly more efficient version of it with either slightly bigger gap or blade exposure it would be the perfect razor for me.

I'm also a big fan of the .84 sb. It glides so well and it's efficient enough to do the job effortlessly. It's my favorite auto-pilot DE razor and since i'm not at home and I didn't want to bring too many razors with me i've got only the GC and I have no regrets.

If Razorock can make a slightly more efficient version of it with either slightly bigger gap or blade exposure it would be the perfect razor for me.
reckon that is the 84 Jaws :) that is always sold out but it is a comb not a straight bar :)

reckon that is the 84 Jaws :) that is always sold out but it is a comb not a straight bar :)

They both look too pretty to me and it's not that I hate open comb razors, but some are not very comfortable and just don't glide well and the teeth feel like spikes. For instance, I have the Lupo DC and while the .72 oc side isn't bad, I rarely use it.

I'm also not sure how the oc and the jews are going to be more efficient compared to the solid bar when they all have the same blade gap, but different type of bar, unless the blade exposure is slightly different, but I doubt that.

yeah I only have two combs one is a Yates and one is the Timeless 68 comb and the Yates you can feel the teeth ! the Timeless is just like a more aggressive straight with the ability to even out the whiskers more than a straight in my tough spots !
but both do feel like more aggressive or a step up than the same gap straight ! that said I have read the Jaws can bite :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
They both look too pretty to me and it's not that I hate open comb razors, but some are not very comfortable and just don't glide well and the teeth feel like spikes.

Well, it's not all on the same razor, but I've had RR's SB and Jaws plates for the Hawk V3 and sold off the Jaws plate because it was just too wide spacing for my comfort. I lately picked up a BBS-OC and that plate is lovely. Nicely rounded teeth.

O.H.

Top Bottom