What's new

Game Changer .84 for daily use?

Is the Game Changer .84 too aggressive (or efficient if you like that term better) for daily use? I've had some aggressive razors that worked great on 2+ days of growth and I loved them on multiple days growth but if I were to use them daily, they would leave me with irritation and razor burn. How's the GC .84 when it's used every day?

Edit addendum: I should note that I have average facial hair, not tough and wirey nor is it thin and wispy. I wouldn't say that I have sensitive skin but it's a lot closer to the sensitive end of the scale than it is to the tough and leathery end of the scale.

Last edited:
Is the Game Changer .84 too aggressive (or efficient if you like that term better) for daily use? I've had some aggressive razors that worked great on 2+ days of growth and I loved them on multiple days growth but if I were to use them daily, they would leave me with irritation and razor burn. How's the GC .84 when it's used every day?

If I use my .84 with a Lab Blue, it isn’t too much of an issue. My .68 is much better for daily shaves with any blade, no irritation at all.

The GC 84 has blade feel and it's very efficient. While it can be used as a daily shaver - I haven't seen a reason as the GC 68 and the original Mamba do the job perfectly for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I enjoy it every day, with a Viking's Sword (current favorite), Personna Blue, GSB, Nacet... With a Kai it leaves me a little raw - acceptable, but I probably won't use Kai much.

I can use the .84 GC on a daily basis but I think the answer really depends on you.
That may be your answer.

If, however, you can shave without applying pressure with a steady hand then you may be able to adapt to daily use. I don't think the GC .84 is a super aggressive razor. I would describe it as smooth and efficient.

I enjoy it every day, with a Viking's Sword (current favorite), Personna Blue, GSB, Nacet... With a Kai it leaves me a little raw - acceptable, but I probably won't use Kai much.

Exactly my experience. My favorite blades are Kai and the Yellows. Can’t use them daily without irritation with the .84. The Lab Blue is acceptable daily with it but not my favorite blade.

My .68 loves Kai

I can use the .84 GC on a daily basis but I think the answer really depends on you.

That may be your answer.

If, however, you can shave without applying pressure with a steady hand then you may be able to adapt to daily use. I don't think the GC .84 is a super aggressive razor. I would describe it as smooth and efficient.
I agree with all the comments here, this one especially. Absolutely, I can use the .84 plate every day. But let's be honest, if I'm in a rush, distracted and/or still half asleep (welcome to many of my mornings) I can have my careless moments with a razor, and in that situation, the .84 is much more likely to draw blood than the .68, which almost never does under any circumstances. And drawing blood in that situation is an absolute non-starter for me. I'm in a hurry to begin with, now I have to worry about a nick and not ruining a good shirt by leaving a blood stain on the collar? No thanks. YMMV, of course.

I agree with all the comments here, this one especially. Absolutely, I can use the .84 plate every day. But let's be honest, if I'm in a rush, distracted and/or still half asleep (welcome to many of my mornings) I can have my careless moments with a razor, and in that situation, the .84 is much more likely to draw blood than the .68, which almost never does under any circumstances. And drawing blood in that situation is an absolute non-starter for me. I'm in a hurry to begin with, now I have to worry about a nick and not ruining a good shirt by leaving a blood stain on the collar? No thanks. YMMV, of course.
Retirement does avoid that particular set of issues for you:a54:. It has been a while since I had to worry about putting on a nice dress shirt for a business appointment (thank goodness!).

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I can use it everyday but for me that would not be fun having to shave with the same razor everyday
Sometimes I use two Razors for one shave
Variety is the Spice of Life :)

I don't believe that careful/proper technique will make all razors comfortable daily shavers for all people. For example, I'd consider the RazoRock SLAB a smooth and efficient shaver. When I was using one, it was my favorite razor when I had 2+ days of growth. As a daily shaver, it was just a bit too much even with a careful technique. It kind of had a cumulative effect. The first shave after the 2+ days of growth shave was OK but after that, discomfort/razor burn/irritation became more evident with each additional shave. Not in a terrible way, but enough to where I didn't want to use it on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I can use it everyday but for me that would not be fun having to shave with the same razor everyday
Sometimes I use two Razors for one shave
Variety is the Spice of Life :)

Variety is indeed the spice of life but two razors in one shave?! That will never happen with me.....
I do switch up razors but not on a too frequent basis. Lately I use the same razor for a month or so and then switch to another. I currently rotate between 2 razors. If I get a GC .84 then it will be my 3rd. I currently have a 3rd razor but I don't use it and hope to sell it. I had a 4th which I recently sold.

I don't believe that careful/proper technique will make all razors comfortable daily shavers for all people. For example, I'd consider the RazoRock SLAB a smooth and efficient shaver. When I was using one, it was my favorite razor when I had 2+ days of growth. As a daily shaver, it was just a bit too much even with a careful technique. It kind of had a cumulative effect. The first shave after the 2+ days of growth shave was OK but after that, discomfort/razor burn/irritation became more evident with each additional shave. Not in a terrible way, but enough to where I didn't want to use it on a daily basis.
That was my conclusion with the Old Type. At first I thought I'd found the ideal daily shaver with an antique from the 1920s, and a cheap one at that. But just as you found with the SLAB, after a certain point the irritation gradually began to accumulate with continued daily use. From that and similar experiences, I've learned to respect the milder razors.

For me it is a middle-of-the-road shaver, a good combination of comfort and efficient cutting , and one that I can use every day if I wanted.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The GC 84 has blade feel and it's very efficient. While it can be used as a daily shaver - I haven't seen a reason as the GC 68 and the original Mamba do the job perfectly for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
This. Times 1000. I shave alternating between the Mamba and GC68 and pull out the GC84 only on Tuesdays when I need the shave to last 12 hours. But I would not use the 84 daily either, although I think I could

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This. Times 1000. I shave alternating between the Mamba and GC68 and pull out the GC84 only on Tuesdays when I need the shave to last 12 hours. But I would not use the 84 daily either, although I think I could

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
For me it's the GC68 and the 6S with plate 3. Smooth as can be.

That was my conclusion with the Old Type. At first I thought I'd found the ideal daily shaver with an antique from the 1920s, and a cheap one at that. But just as you found with the SLAB, after a certain point the irritation gradually began to accumulate with continued daily use. From that and similar experiences, I've learned to respect the milder razors.
I traveled that same road my friend, and it led to the same place.

Yes, I agree that with proper technique just about any razor can be tamed and used daily. The GC84 is an extremely smooth razor (similar to the GC68, Mamba, BabySmooth from RazoRock) with very little to no significant "blade feel" yet it is still somewhat efficient. For me I can use it daily but need a 3 pass technique whereas more efficient razors allow me to obtain the same results with 2 passes. You can't go wrong with the GC84.

Best of luck AJ

Top Bottom