What's new

Game Changer .68

My GC68 is perfect for my taste. Mild but still comfortable to shave with. BBS is definitely harder with it but I'm satisfied with a DFS. I've heard both sides where some think 68 is too mild but others think 84 is too aggressive.

I own the GC68 and HAD the GC84 in my den. I ended up selling the GC84 because it was just too aggressive to be a daily shaver for me. I have very sensitive skin, so mild razor with sharp blade is my go-to combo. The GC68 fills that void PERFECTLY. And I had plenty of shaves with both versions and could not detect any closer a shave with the 84, so it was a no brainer to unload it on ebay where some lucky guy got my lightly used GC84 for a decent price and in beautiful condition.

I own the GC68 and HAD the GC84 in my den. I ended up selling the GC84 because it was just too aggressive to be a daily shaver for me. I have very sensitive skin, so mild razor with sharp blade is my go-to combo. The GC68 fills that void PERFECTLY. And I had plenty of shaves with both versions and could not detect any closer a shave with the 84, so it was a no brainer to unload it on ebay where some lucky guy got my lightly used GC84 for a decent price and in beautiful condition.
I am going to try it with a feather blade in a few days for my next shave. I will report back.

Did anyone find the .68 too mild and then try the .84? Would like to hear a comparison of the two.

I love the look and build quality and the radio handle but it seems too mild for me. I have been using my normal shark super chrome blades but will probably try a feather before giving up on the .68 and trying the .84. is there a big difference between the two? Did anyone else find .68 too mild but .84 just right?

Surprised the .68 was too mild because Rockwell plate 3 was aggressive for me and I preferred the 2 plate.
I had been using the Mamba 70, got the GC.68; love it and it replaced the Mamba.70. Got the GC.84 and found it too close for me.

Do I find the .68 to be too mild? That depends on how many days of growth and my choice of blade. While I agree that the .68 is mild, when paired with a sharper blade I find it very effective on one day of growth. For two or more days growth, I tend to reach for my .84 SB with a less sharp blade like an RPL. I recently bought a JAWS plate which I beginning to get into - I am not used to the teeth on the more sensitive parts of my face like around my nose and mouth. My hope is to grow into the JAWS.

I find that the different GC plates all have their purpose and I am really happy that I bought them all. They did not break the bank and they take up very little space.

I am going to try it with a feather blade in a few days for my next shave. I will report back.
last week I e mailed ItalianBarber and asked them what razor would complement my Mamba70 and they replied that a .68 open comb is probably coming. Like you I have some feathers and nacets in the mail to try with the Mamba. So I’m sitting in the bushes waiting for the .68 open comb.

I love my .68, but I have the same trouble getting BBS with it. I decided I needed something more aggressive and reached for a Schone that's been sitting in my drawer for six months. Well, just because the GC .68 doesn't get you BBS, doesn't automatically mean you should jump to an aggressive razor. The Schone left me extremely bloody and sore for a couple of days.

I'm not giving up on the Schone or the GC, but just be cautious when jumping up to an aggressive razor coming from a mild one.

I had the Mamba 70 the GC 68 and the GC 84OC. Mamba and GC 68 too mild and are gone but the GC 84OC is still in the den and yes there is a significant difference in efficiency without losing the smooth shave.

I love my .68, but I have the same trouble getting BBS with it. I decided I needed something more aggressive and reached for a Schone that's been sitting in my drawer for six months. Well, just because the GC .68 doesn't get you BBS, doesn't automatically mean you should jump to an aggressive razor. The Schone left me extremely bloody and sore for a couple of days.

I'm not giving up on the Schone or the GC, but just be cautious when jumping up to an aggressive razor coming from a mild one.
I agree that's why I was trying to see what kther's experiences were. I do have other razors that give me better closer shaves so if it doesn't compare with those it will have to go. I may still try the .84 though.

No doubt that the .84 gives me a closer shave, or a close shave more quickly and easily, than the .68. But for me the .84 has too much blade exposure for daily three pass shaving. The .68 has noticeably less blade exposure, and is much easier to use daily without eventually ending up with irritation. I think a lot depends a lot on how heavy your beard is and how frequently you shave.

I passed on the .68 in favor of the Occam's (solid plate) to augment my Rockwell 6S and Feather AS-D2. I am happy with that decision too.

I have not tried the .68, sadly they are a little difficult to find in the UK, as I'd like to compare it to the .86 which I do own. I've heard many threads about many good shaves from the .86 but I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work for me. I find it very aggressive around my upper lip and the blade feel is prominent. The shaves I've had from it have not been the best, some patchy and the one bad cut I've had in the three years of DE shaving came from the .86. I suspect it won't be around for long. I suppose it proves that what works for one person, may not for another.

I have not tried the .68, sadly they are a little difficult to find in the UK, as I'd like to compare it to the .86 which I do own. I've heard many threads about many good shaves from the .86 but I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work for me. I find it very aggressive around my upper lip and the blade feel is prominent. The shaves I've had from it have not been the best, some patchy and the one bad cut I've had in the three years of DE shaving came from the .86. I suspect it won't be around for long. I suppose it proves that what works for one person, may not for another.

Try the GC84. I find it to be very efficient, yet not at all aggressive.

Top Bottom