What's new

Gambling on a long shot

The black lines are stress cracks, they lead to the pivot hole. The other side of the scale has a few more. Left alone and kept in use, I have to assume that the plastic is going to fail; sooner rather than later.
So I fitted a thrust washer into place on a tooth pick kept captive with tape. I managed to get epoxy around the toothpick on the inside and when I sat the washer down it squished out and seemed to create the possibility of a fairly continuous bond. I also put some adhesive on the cracks and let it 'sink in'. It's curing now. Tomorrow I'll unplug the pivot hole and re-install the blade.
I didn't want to disassemble the scales if I didn't need to. It's a 1930s-40s Frtiz Bracht Dovo and outside of this dilemma everything is in good shape.
If the fix holds, that would be great. If not, I'll have to figure something else out. The inside of the scales got a little 'melty' where the glue was sitting so as long as all of that cures nicely I might be good to go. Fingers crossed.

proxy.php

Those really tight clustered cracks are tricky. The open, songular, meaty ones, you can do full on chemical welds without much fuss.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nice repair, I am sure that would hold up. Depending on the condition of the blade I would opt to just rescale in wood.
Ditto, nice repair.

I like how you did that. Though wood is an option, I like the "character" you left in this razor with your fix. Fingers crossed!

Interesting fix.

Hopefully that will hold up for some time as long as the celluloid doesn't shrink or degrade significantly.

👍

Interesting fix.

Hopefully that will hold up for some time as long as the celluloid doesn't shrink or degrade significantly.
The scales aren't warped, so I am not 'expecting' dimensional instability to be an issue. Time will tell though. If this fix doesn't hold then I'll take them completely apart and take a different approach.

Fortune favors the bold. I am about to do my first repinning. A really nice nos big blade had a jacked pivot pin. Could leave it, but it's loose and does not center at all. Good luck to your venture. You have years of experience on me lol. At least in this field. Take care.

Fortune favors the bold. I am about to do my first repinning. A really nice nos big blade had a jacked pivot pin. Could leave it, but it's loose and does not center at all. Good luck to your venture. You have years of experience on me lol. At least in this field. Take care.

ty, - good luck with the repinning task!

ty, - good luck with the repinning task!
The pin was pretty bent, the blade looks unhoned. I used a pop can with a hole punched in it to cover the scales. The hole was over the pins, and I filed off the ends. The bent pin though didn't come out. I wiggled a little room between the scales and blade and used a thin hacksaw blade to cut the pin and push it outwards. Will finish tomorrow.

Top Bottom