What's new

Gaggia Brera Super-Auto?

My largest pulls come out @ 3.5 oz triple but I am using a 22 gram basket to come out with that volume

How much ground weight is the max for your machine?

My largest pulls come out @ 3.5 oz triple but I am using a 22 gram basket to come out with that volume

How much ground weight is the max for your machine?

My understanding is the "one bean" setting is 7g and the "three bean" setting is 10.5g. Not sure what "two bean" is, but somewhere in the middle...

Updating here, since this seems to be the only record of the Brera.

Using a liquid measuring cup I compared the volume output of the settings my wife and I programmed for the espresso and long coffee, respectively. The espresso had been inadvertently set to 4.5 oz. and the long coffee at 6.5 oz. I had been slightly dissatisfied with the strength of the espresso in comparison to the long coffee, so I did my homework on the Google machine.

I have since reprogrammed the volumetric output of the espresso to 2.0oz., and it is considerably better than it had been. More of a true espresso taste (as opposed to just a stronger coffee). Smoother, creamier (if you will), and richer notes. I'm no foodie, but it was much better.

And I'm using less milk/sugar, too, so healthier:)
Interesting report. When experimenting with my Presso machine (manual espresso) to cause it to produce a lot more volume of coffee during the extraction phase, I did not find that the cup tasted any better. I was specifically making an Americano, not an espresso shot, so I was going to be adding more water afterwards anyway. The experimental question I was trying to answer was could I pump more water through the grounds in order capture more of that coffee goodness? Could I use a smaller dose of coffee and get the same flavor by putting more of the bean into my cup and less into the trash bin? The short answer was No. I still experiment occasionally, but my experience is that such a long shot does not work as well as the traditional shot.

Interesting report. When experimenting with my Presso machine (manual espresso) to cause it to produce a lot more volume of coffee during the extraction phase, I did not find that the cup tasted any better. I was specifically making an Americano, not an espresso shot, so I was going to be adding more water afterwards anyway. The experimental question I was trying to answer was could I pump more water through the grounds in order capture more of that coffee goodness? Could I use a smaller dose of coffee and get the same flavor by putting more of the bean into my cup and less into the trash bin? The short answer was No. I still experiment occasionally, but my experience is that such a long shot does not work as well as the traditional shot.

I found this to be almost identical. I have found that the beans have an "espresso capacity". After the ideal amount of water passes through the beans, any subsequent water addition just seems to water the drink down as opposed to adding flavor.

It's tasty:)

My wife and I are espresso junkies. We have TWO machines side by side, one for decaf, one for regular. Both are Gaggia Platinum series. We tried a Brera and hated it. Wouldn't brew strong enough. Lacks the grind and "aroma" settings of the Platinums.

Picture shows nice crema on a double shot.

The good news is that WLL will give full credit if you exchange for a better machine within a reasonable time. I forget whether it's a week or 30 days or something in between.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The good news is that WLL will give full credit if you exchange for a better machine within a reasonable time. I forget whether it's a week or 30 days or something in between.

Its 30 days, I believe. At this point, I'm digging the Brera. Admittedly, I'm no junky, so I'm fully content with the machine. Not to mention the Brera was in my budget wheelhouse:)

So I'm updating this pushing a year and a half later.

I still like it.

It hates oily beans. I have to shove my finger into the "strainer" on the hopper to get the beans to slide down. With dry beans, it produces like a dream. To reiterate what an earlier poster said, I'm A-Okay with a convenient-but-mediocre cup of espresso.

I'm no super-taster, so it works for me:)

Hi!

Jumping in waaaayy late here...but I just bought a Gaggia Brera used for $25 bucks! It had a problem with the grinder motor but it is fixed now. Just got it descaled, cleaned and up and running this morning. I previously used a Nespresso machine, which I loved, but didnt like the fact that the capsules were so expensive. The idea of grinding fresh, much cheaper coffee beans is just so awesome to me. I tried it this morning and LOVED it. Haven't tweeked it to my tastes yet, but so far so good.

I love my coffee as much as I love my shaving, so my question to you or anyone that has experience with espresso machines is this... what do you think of the Gaggia Brera (or your particular machine) so far? any tips?

Thanks so much!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow $25 for a superauto? You STOLE that!

Cant say I know much about that machine but I love my DeLonghi Magnifica. Supers rock! (Except Juras, which rock until they need servicing, at which point they suck.)

I don't care for the milk tank thingies. I like to just pour my mug or cup or glass 1/3 full of milk or a tiny bit more, froth it with the wand, then put it under the spout and hit the double shot button. Then again. Quick and easy, and better than Starmuck. I don't use a frothing pitcher. One more thing to wash. I use distilled water. If I keep using it for a bit after the "descale me" light comes on, no biggie. Every night I fill the water tank, empty the puck bin, and make sure there are beans in the hopper, so it is ready to rock in the morning. Sucks when you are in a hurry and the machine is out of water or beans. I always leave a cup under the spout to catch the wash water so it doesn't fill up the tray.

My beans are the dirt cheap but totally awesome 8 Oclock Columbian medium roast, grinder is set one click from the finest adjustment, and my espresso never tastes burnt or bitter. Honestly, I like these beans better than any artisanal fresh roasted whatever beans. I buy the small bag and seal the bag good once opened.I never pour more than a days worth or a bit more in the hopper. I don't think I miss fresh roasted, no. I use whole milk. I don't care what the alt liberals say, whole milk is best.

I don't use sugar. If you do, try without for a week or two. Takes that long to adjust to it, but you will grow to like it without. Sugar is only needed to disguise burnt tasting dark roast beans.

Enjoy the Gaggia! Tell us what you think of it, a couple weeks in.

Well, Its been almost a month and I can happily say that buying the Gaggia Brera might be the best 25 dollars I've ever spent. It did cost another 100 bucks to fix the grinder motor, but to have a perfectly functioning superautomatic espresso machine for a $125? I'm happy as hell.

Since I only have my Nespresso Lattisima pro to gauge it against, Its not exactly the most well informed opinion, but I will say grinding fresh beans is the true difference for me. For a zero fuss machine the Lattisima Pro is about as good as it gets, but in my opinion, in a taste test, even a fairly simple machine like the Brera wins hands down.

I really like the machine. While its obviously a bit more work than I had with the Nespresso machine, its still very easy and fast to use.

The shots are consistent. They are flavorful but not bitter. They are smooth but not watery.

I thought I would really have to mess with this to get a good shot, but its pretty much dummy proof. Once you find the right grinder setting, everything kind of falls into place.

Thanks for the beans tip! I will try the 8 Oclock and see how I like them.

Wow $25 for a superauto? You STOLE that!

Cant say I know much about that machine but I love my DeLonghi Magnifica. Supers rock! (Except Juras, which rock until they need servicing, at which point they suck.)

I don't care for the milk tank thingies. I like to just pour my mug or cup or glass 1/3 full of milk or a tiny bit more, froth it with the wand, then put it under the spout and hit the double shot button. Then again. Quick and easy, and better than Starmuck. I don't use a frothing pitcher. One more thing to wash. I use distilled water. If I keep using it for a bit after the "descale me" light comes on, no biggie. Every night I fill the water tank, empty the puck bin, and make sure there are beans in the hopper, so it is ready to rock in the morning. Sucks when you are in a hurry and the machine is out of water or beans. I always leave a cup under the spout to catch the wash water so it doesn't fill up the tray.

My beans are the dirt cheap but totally awesome 8 Oclock Columbian medium roast, grinder is set one click from the finest adjustment, and my espresso never tastes burnt or bitter. Honestly, I like these beans better than any artisanal fresh roasted whatever beans. I buy the small bag and seal the bag good once opened.I never pour more than a days worth or a bit more in the hopper. I don't think I miss fresh roasted, no. I use whole milk. I don't care what the alt liberals say, whole milk is best.

I don't use sugar. If you do, try without for a week or two. Takes that long to adjust to it, but you will grow to like it without. Sugar is only needed to disguise burnt tasting dark roast beans.

Enjoy the Gaggia! Tell us what you think of it, a couple weeks in.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My GF was just looking for a superauto because I like to sleep on my own boat and wake up with a nice hassle free cappa and there just isn't room for the both of us on my boat. So she is trying to make her boat and also her house more to my liking LOL. We looked at the Brera because it is a little bit cheaper than the Magnifica but in the end she decided $501 wasn't too much to spend, so she sprang for the DeLonghi instead of the Gaggia. Now I guess she has to decide whether it goes on her boat or at her house in town. I couldn't expect her to go for two machines, could I? Anyway I am sure you will get more than your moneys worth out of your Brera. Nice score, nice fix, and I wish you many happy cups.

Well, Its been almost a month and I can happily say that buying the Gaggia Brera might be the best 25 dollars I've ever spent. It did cost another 100 bucks to fix the grinder motor, but to have a perfectly functioning superautomatic espresso machine for a $125? I'm happy as hell.

Thanks for the beans tip! I will try the 8 Oclock and see how I like them.

Not bad at all. For the money you ended up with a nice machine.

As far as beans..... You're in the windy city and there are a LOT of artisan roasting houses within a few miles of you (or there should be).

Get some freshly roasted coffee. That is where the biggest difference will come from. If you can, get green and roast your. That way you will KNOW they are fresh roast.

You'll be thanking me for a long long time if you do

I guess she has to decide whether it goes on her boat or at her house in town. I couldn't expect her to go for two machines, could I?

Sounds to me like she needed to get 3. Does she expect you to not have good coffee too?

Hey, if you like it, that's all the matters. The scoop on super-automatics: Very good repeatability from cup to cup with very little mess to clean up. I had a Gaggia Academia which I got rid of in a year. Coffee not hot enough and leaked on the counter. I replaced it with a Breville Oracle and I couldn't be happier, but I drink Lattes and the steamed milk the Breville produces it outstanding. Here's the potential problem with all coffee machine with boilers...scale buildup inside the boiler. Make certain you use a filter if it will take one, and you follow all the routine cleaning instructions, especially descaling. Congrats on your purchase.

I have had a gaggia titanium for 8 years. Had it a couple of times repaired in time until it jammed on the brewing group over and over again. So it is now in the cellar just as a spare machine I’ Ve got a Jura s80 instead.

ok the good thing of the brera it should have most parts of the titanium and coffee was good. However it was a pain to find the right coffee and stupid enough coffee witch worked in mine did not work in my mum’s saeco (which uses the same brewing Unit) and vice versa. Lavazza red worked great, oro was crap.
In advance learn how to remove a stuck brew unit it will happen some day. And keep it well maintained.

happy my current Jura is not so picky. And a looot earlier on the maintenance part though. A lot more expensive also.

still a full manual machine can give better results if you put the effort in!

Top Bottom