What's new

Gaggia baby twin problem

Not sure if anyone here can help but thought it was worth a try. I bought a Gaggia baby twin about a year ago (only 6 month warranty on refurb) and was pulling a shot tonight when I noticed it was not coming through. Thinking I tamped too hard or grind was too fine I redid it with no change in results. I then tested the water flow with no portafilter and am only getting a trickle out of the group head. The steam wand is still working fine. After some research I found it might be due to a blocked 3 way solenoid which I thought might be the case since I recently descaled it and removed the filter since it needed replaced.

I've currently disassembled it to the point of getting the 3 way valve off and one of the hex bolts is stripping. I was able to get one of them off but the other was too tight and is now not fitting the 4mm hex bit it says to use. Thought I would give it a break tonight and see if anyone had good advice for how to fix this.

I also tested blowing some air through the solenoid and at least 1 path of it is clear. Just not sure why I wouldn't be getting water going directly to the drip tray if that was the case. I also tried activating the brew cycle with a paper clip in the top of the valve to see if it would push it out when it activated. It didn't seem to move up or down which I'm thinking means the whole solenoid needs replaced.

Any help is appreciated since I'm not so sure the wife will love the news that I broke my espresso machine and need a new improved model :blink:

Thought a picture may clarify the issue. The third hex head is slightly stripped and the fourth was the one I was able to remove.
proxy.php

I don't have much comment about your specific machine. But to remove the bolt I might first try a brand new hex bit or remove bolt #2 to hopefully gain enough room to clamp on a pair of vice-grips. It all that fails might need to use an easy-out extractor or epoxy a bit into the wallowed out opening in order to remove the bolt.

Have not tried this, but I would. The trick is knowing if it's safe for the rest of the machine to do this. Depends on how hard you have to hammer to get the torx bit to bottom out in the blown allen head.

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Vise grips, pliers or a wrench will get that sucker out.
I saw the video and was considering it... Will have to give these a try when I get more time
Have not tried this, but I would. The trick is knowing if it's safe for the rest of the machine to do this. Depends on how hard you have to hammer to get the torx bit to bottom out in the blown allen head.

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a few more hours and my espresso machine has been completely disassembled, descaled, tested and reassembled. It works and is better than ever! There is definitely more stream pressure and water is freely following from the group head. The 3 way valve is doing its job as well. Seems I had some scale build up blocking the way somewhere. Only broke a plastic guide peg and stripped the one bolt.

I was able to remove the bolt once disassembling the boiler and being able to work with the bottom portion freely. It allowed me to hammer the hex bit in a bit further and remove it normally. Unfortunately I had to reuse the bolt since I didn't think of checking for one earlier today. I did put it in the fourth spot though. Hopefully I won't need to do a tear down again.

Going back to using all filtered water and regular cleanings like I did when I first got it. Thanks for the suggestions, I was just about ready to go buy a new machine...

Top Bottom