What's new

G5C Knot vs. Evo 2.0

Hey Guys
This is a photo of what I will shave with tomorrow and post in the GRUME thread.

PXL_20220920_164048341.jpg

Today was only about how each brush created lather and most important to me, how they felt and responded when applying lather to my face and neck. I Did Not shave during this little experiment.

I used a cream and developed the lather in a bowl. Both worked equally well. I suspect, if I were using a hard soap, the G5C may work a little quicker because it has slightly more stiffness or backbone. I tried to load both brushes with similar amounts of lather and consistency.

I have used both brushes and was pleased with their performance. I was curious how they compared side by side. I prefer a fan shaped brush more-so than a bulb shape.

I have had the Brushworx G5C longer than the Evo and what I have done may be an important factor as to my results. After each use, I "fan" the fibers outward in an attempt to see if I can get it to bloom outward into a larger fan. I think the G5C knot is responding. I have tried this same procedure on the Evo, but fewer times. The reason this may be important, is because the Brushworx G5C knot splays easier than the Evo. If my "fanning" is really working, the Evo may soon become easier to splay on my face. Another factor is that the Evo seems to be more densely packed with fibers.

Both brushes have equally soft tips. What I did was use each brush about 30 seconds and then switched to use the other brush. I alternated about ten times. Both brushes are pleasurable to use. The only difference I detected was that the Evo was a little harder to splay, but, with whatever adjustment I did, I learned that it will splay but not as much at this time.

Both knots can be found with various handle sizes and shapes, so that is not as much of a concern. In this case, I preferred the thinner, more contoured handle made by Brushworx.

Really, in actual use, I mostly apply lather in a painterly fashion and only occasionally with a splayed scrubbing motion so the differences are negligible in my case. If I had a heavier beard or waited a few days between shaves, the splaying ability of a G5C knot may be of some benefit. Both brushes are relatively new to me so my opinion may change in the future. I hope my 2 cent ideas may be useful for others curious about these types of brushes.

I also have the RR "Big Bruce" brush and may write my thoughts about it in the future.

Last edited:
Here are a few additional comments I posted in the GRUME thread today.
Today, I basically did the same thing again. I spent extra time lathering with both brushes. The only additional comments I will add is the G5C knot is still splaying a little bit better than the Evo. It also seems to hold more water than the Evo. Basically, I think it is a toss-up and they are similar enough that both are not "necessary". If I could only keep one, it would be the G5C knot. Thats just my 2 cent opinion.

@tjsgarden good write up! Have you used a Muhle STF?
@Virtus3 ,
I went on a spending spree last month and almost got it. It looks like a beauty!
I am in GRUME this month and October so no new brushes for a while. (If I were not in GRUME, I would get it!)

I do have the RR "Big Bruce" and like it as much (or more) as these brushes. I have found out I like fan shapes and big knots even with a beard to work around. Tomorrow I'll try to write about the Bruce.

If you have the Muhle STF, please leave your comments.

My synthetic line-up is 23mm STF, 25mm STF, 24mm G5C, and 24mm 'Bruce' Plissoft.

The STF knots are my favorites (if I was forced to pick one I would probably go with the 23 but it would be tough); they are extremely soft yet maintain the right amount of backbone and splay. Flow through is excellent with the STF and Plissoft.

The 23mm (actually closer to 22mm) and 25mm STFs are very different brushes. The 23 is insanely soft and being much less dense just "spits out" lather, in a good way not flinging it everywhere just a brilliant painter. The 25 is much denser and therefore has more backbone and doesn't have the same level of flow through though still better than the G5C.

The 24mm Bruce Plissoft is most similar to the 25mm STF and much, much less expensive. I'd say the 24mm G5C sits in the middle of the Bruce and 25mm STF - not as soft as the STF, but better splay than the Bruce due to it's fan shape; and sits in the middle cost-wise (depending on handle).

My synthetic line-up is 23mm STF, 25mm STF, 24mm G5C, and 24mm 'Bruce' Plissoft.

The STF knots are my favorites (if I was forced to pick one I would probably go with the 23 but it would be tough); they are extremely soft yet maintain the right amount of backbone and splay. Flow through is excellent with the STF and Plissoft.

The 23mm (actually closer to 22mm) and 25mm STFs are very different brushes. The 23 is insanely soft and being much less dense just "spits out" lather, in a good way not flinging it everywhere just a brilliant painter. The 25 is much denser and therefore has more backbone and doesn't have the same level of flow through though still better than the G5C.

The 24mm Bruce Plissoft is most similar to the 25mm STF and much, much less expensive. I'd say the 24mm G5C sits in the middle of the Bruce and 25mm STF - not as soft as the STF, but better splay than the Bruce due to it's fan shape; and sits in the middle cost-wise (depending on handle).
What I like about the Big Bruce is the fan shape, 26 mm knot and how luxurious it is splaying across my face and neck.
I rate it a best buy and maybe even the best of the bunch based on what I have tried.

If, or when I get the Muhle, it will be the Large or X-Large knot.

I'm finding the G5C to be exactly the same as the omega Evo knot.

I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test!

Top Bottom