What's new

G bar...FHS-10...GEM SS PTFE...

IMAG0175_1.jpg

Two blades, one razor, which is best?

I've been using the G bar for my face shaves only and have been getting excellent BBS shaves from it.

There's been a lot of chatter about the Oneblade razor using de-spine GEM blade. So I did a little research and the Feather FHS-10 blade can be used in the G bar as I don't have a Oneblade.

With my technique, no matter the razor or blade, my razor doesn't stop until I hit BBS. I basically rate efficiency on how long it takes to get to BBS, how many strokes.

Which blade is better?

This is my first shave with the Feather FHS-10 and it is not better or worse than the GEM blade. I got the same excellent BBS shave I get from the GEM SS PTFE blade. Both blades are smooth in the G bar and both seem to be equally efficient. I could use either one and be happy. I haven't tested longevity from either blade for face shaves. I got three shaves, head and face from a GEM SS PTFE, which I estimate be be around 20 or so face only shaves. I will be testing both to see how they compare.

Will I buy any more Feather FHS-10 blades?

Absolutely not... the FHS-10 blade cost $.66 a blade if bought in bulk while the GEM SS PTFE cost $.18 a blade if bought in bulk and perform the same.

Will I buy the "razor for dummies" Oneblade Core or Genesis?

Absolutely not, GEM razors work great for a fraction of the cost!

"Razor for dummies" Just kidding!

The same can be said about safety razors from the str8 razor boys!

There's a lot of new modern razors out and coming out, the few that I've bought are not better than vintage razors or don't even measure up so I going to just stick with vintage razors. In the end, it's the blade that's doing the work.

Last edited:
Was wondering when someone would get around to trying this. I know for a very short time, Gem had a double sided blade, which was essentially a spineless blade with an edge on both sides so you could flip it when one side got dull and so I figured that the Gem type razors could take a spineless blade.

As for the OneBlade Core, I look at it as one of the new Gem bladed razors that I can afford. I already despined a bunch of Blue Stars waiting for my Core. The other new Gem options are all pushing $200. A Streamline cost less than those.

Was wondering when someone would get around to trying this. I know for a very short time, Gem had a double sided blade, which was essentially a spineless blade with an edge on both sides so you could flip it when one side got dull and so I figured that the Gem type razors could take a spineless blade.

I actually put a spine on it, it fit better with it in the G bar. Someone posted that no spine was needed in the push button though.

$50 for the Core is not bad especially if the GEM blades fit perfectly.

I am sure that once folks start receiving theirs, there will be a massive thread about it. I will report if an unmodified de-spined Gem blade works as stated by a reviewer earlier. If not, I got my sheet metal nibbler ready and waiting.

Day 2 with the FHS-10 blade. Flipped the blade over, another nice BBS face shave. Today's shave gave no indication on how tomorrow's shave is going to be, the blade didn't seem to fall off any.

This blade measured .009" thick, same as the GEM blade.

I will report if an unmodified de-spined Gem blade works as stated by a reviewer earlier. If not, I got my sheet metal nibbler ready and waiting.

Looking forward to your review!

There's a lot of new modern razors out and coming out, the few that I've bought are not better than vintage razors or don't even measure up so I going to just stick with vintage razors. In the end, it's the blade that's doing the work.

Not true when it comes to DEs which are quite dependent on the frame for stability and thus are blades flexible by design, but substantially true for GEM and injector razors. I bought the Core but don't really have great expectations for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not true when it comes to DEs which are quite dependent on the frame for stability and thus are blades flexible by design, but substantially true for GEM and injector razors. I bought the Core but don't really have great expectations for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I only use DE razors that support the blade fully with the baseplate!

As for the OneBlade Core, I look at it as one of the new Gem bladed razors that I can afford. I already despined a bunch of Blue Stars waiting for my Core. The other new Gem options are all pushing $200. A Streamline cost less than those.

The double sided blade was listed as only for the Micromatic razors as they have been the only Gems that actually used the blade center hole and side notches for blade location and locking it into position, eliminating the top spring and flip down spring loaded tab, in the 1912 and most later Gems operated by the front cover opening and closing. Other than Micromatic Gems will damage the top edge of the DE Gem blade before it is even used it looks like to me due to pressure placed on the top edge by the tab or the spring on the Shovel Head.

Shave 3 with the FHS-10, used it in the Featherweight today. The blade performed great again, but didn't seem to settle like the GEM SS did on shave 3. Looking forward to tomorrow with the Feather.

Shave 4 with the FHS-10 back in the G bar. No real change in performance, another nice BBS face shave. I have a GEM SS PTFE, with 3 shaves on it, on standby.

Received my push button GEM today and I will not use the FHS-10 blade in it. I test fitted it with spine and without spine and it did not support the blade enough for me, the blade floated without spine and tilted from either side with spine. The GEM blade is held the way it should be.

The FHS-10 blade fits perfectly in the G Bar and Featherweight with a spine and held secure.

Shave 5 with the Feather tomorrow will be with the G bar. I'll test the push button later.

I like both the Feather FHS-10 and the Gem blades, but I guess I haven't really seen the need to modify one to fit the other's type of razor.

Maybe if I were shaving with a OneBlade every day and worried about the cost of blades, I'd think about modifying a Gem blade to fit that razor. But if I were shaving with a OneBlade every day, I'd have already decided I wasn't trying to save money with my shaving. And given that the Gem blade is cheaper and works just as well, I don't think I'll be using an FHS-10 in any of my Gem razors.

I like both the Feather FHS-10 and the Gem blades, but I guess I haven't really seen the need to modify one to fit the other's type of razor.

Maybe if I were shaving with a OneBlade every day and worried about the cost of blades, I'd think about modifying a Gem blade to fit that razor. But if I were shaving with a OneBlade every day, I'd have already decided I wasn't trying to save money with my shaving. And given that the Gem blade is cheaper and works just as well, I don't think I'll be using an FHS-10 in any of my Gem razors.

Since I can get a perfect BBS shave from a $.10 Astra in a postwar Tech everyday, I get the same results from Schick injectors and AC razors. I'm not looking for a better shave.

With the help of members post in this forum, I look at things more as a hobbyist now. The FHS-10 blade is more expensive, but it is another option.

If the Oneblade can use GEM blades, then they are the first to make a modern GEM razor, if that matters to anyone.

I bought the FHS-10 blades to see if buying the Oneblade would be worth it from the blade stand point since its the only blade for it. The blade works great in my G bar.

Shave 5 with the FHS-10...

Another great BBS face shave, will use again tomorrow. The blade seems to have lost some efficiency but still produced BBS results.

Received my push button GEM today and I will not use the FHS-10 blade in it. I test fitted it with spine and without spine and it did not support the blade enough for me, the blade floated without spine and tilted from either side with spine. The GEM blade is held the way it should be.

The FHS-10 blade fits perfectly in the G Bar and Featherweight with a spine and held secure.

Shave 5 with the Feather tomorrow will be with the G bar. I'll test the push button later.

I have to really shove on the FHS-10 in my PB to get it to move, and it snaps back into place once I release the pressure.

I have to really shove on the FHS-10 in my PB to get it to move, and it snaps back into place once I release the pressure.

I don't fear any danger from the blade, just inefficiency. The GEM blade doesn't move at all. The Feather blade shifts from either side without a spine easily. With a spine it's more sturdy but still moves. With the spine is the best option. The Feather blade with spine is as sturdy as the GEM blade in the G bar, no movement at all.

The FHS-10 is an excellent blade, not better or worse than the GEM SS PTFE blade. Definitely not worth the extra cost to use in a GEM razor.

I have a Valet VC4 coming that I will use the FHS-10 blade with.

Used a fresh GEM SS PTFE today for a nice BBS face and head shave.

The G Bar is considered to be a mild razor and I agree, but it is very efficient if wielded properly.

What gets me is, the Oneblade Core is even milder than the G bar. The FHS-10 and GEM SS PTFE perform the same to me, both great blades. So how could anyone pass up this GEM?

Top Bottom