What's new

G bar...FHS-10...GEM SS PTFE...

The FHS-10 is an excellent blade, not better or worse than the GEM SS PTFE blade. Definitely not worth the extra cost to use in a GEM razor.

I have a Valet VC4 coming that I will use the FHS-10 blade with.

I hope you have better luck with the VC4 than I did. It was the last of the AutoStrops produced by Gillette. By that time, Gaisman had retired and there was likely little love for the Valet division.

Do you know which Valet will use the feather blade and how do you tell one from another?
Thanks Ron

All the Valet razors use the Feather FHS-10 blades if I'm not mistaken.

I have a VC4 coming and I believe it's the only safety bar Valet, as for the others, I don't know much about them.

Well I have been checking them out over the pass hour.
They aren't very good looking to me.
Kind of steampunk thing with all the gears.
I'm leaning towards going with a ER1912 now or a nice Gem.
I have a Ikon El Jefe and a RazoRock Hawk but both of those razors are a handful for me.
I was looking for something to use my Feather blades in as I am going to return the Core.
I don't think it is a safe razor for me.
I had high hopes for it.
The Feather blades have glue on both sides.
I have run them under hot water and wiped them clean with a towel or so I thought.
I had trouble with the blade going pass the stop on the Core again tonight.
After I shaved, I checked the blades again.
I could see glue still on the blade..
The glue becomes translucent when it is hot making you think it's gone.
I checked my other blades and sure enough the glue was still there.
Not as much of course but enough to cause the blade to stick when being put into the razor or being taken out.
I'll just get rid of the extra blades I bought for it.
Just not worth the trouble if the Gem's are equal to the Feather anyway.

Many razors became milder as successive models were introduced, and the Auto-Strops are a prime example of this. My VB1 is a fire breathing monster; one of the most aggressive razors in my collection. Being the last of the series the VC4 is definitely on the mild side - it has been called the Tech of the Auto-Strops.

@rabidus: Since you have expressed a liking for mild razors (in other threads), the VC4 may work out well for you.

The Feather FHS-10 blades will fit all of the earlier Auto-Strops (VC1 and before) and 99% of the later ones. There have been a few isolated cases of the tabs not lining up properly in the cutouts, usually in VC2's.

--Bob

Used a fresh GEM SS PTFE today for a nice BBS face and head shave.

The G Bar is considered to be a mild razor and I agree, but it is very efficient if wielded properly.

What gets me is, the Oneblade Core is even milder than the G bar. The FHS-10 and GEM SS PTFE perform the same to me, both great blades. So how could anyone pass up this GEM?
I'll be giving the G-Bar and Core a comparo when back in the US but while I like the heft of the G-Bar I find the handle unwieldy and getting to BBS on the back of my head way too much work (compared to say a Shovelhead or Clog-Pruf), me not being a however long it takes kinda guy. Which makes me expect the Core and I may have some issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I find the handle unwieldy

That was the one downside of the G bar for me also. After using it more, my hand seems to find the best positions to hold it for angles I need. It has really become a non-issue and favorite razor.

getting to BBS on the back of my head way too much work (compared to say a Shovelhead or Clog-Pruf),

A shower, BBS face and head shave takes me 45 minutes daily, everyone it in 30 minutes a couple of times. Head shave probably takes around 15 minutes. I don't like anything more aggressive than the G bar on my head.

I look through a handheld mirror with my back to the mirror on the wall when I do the back if my head, doesn't take long at all. I touch up by feel.

Looking forward to see how the Core works out for you! I aborted the head shave on the first pass, it wasn't doing much for me.

Well I have been checking them out over the pass hour.
They aren't very good looking to me.
Kind of steampunk thing with all the gears.
I'm leaning towards going with a ER1912 now or a nice Gem.
I have a Ikon El Jefe and a RazoRock Hawk but both of those razors are a handful for me.
I was looking for something to use my Feather blades in as I am going to return the Core.
I don't think it is a safe razor for me.
I had high hopes for it.
The Feather blades have glue on both sides.
I have run them under hot water and wiped them clean with a towel or so I thought.
I had trouble with the blade going pass the stop on the Core again tonight.
After I shaved, I checked the blades again.
I could see glue still on the blade..
The glue becomes translucent when it is hot making you think it's gone.
I checked my other blades and sure enough the glue was still there.
Not as much of course but enough to cause the blade to stick when being put into the razor or being taken out.
I'll just get rid of the extra blades I bought for it.
Just not worth the trouble if the Gem's are equal to the Feather anyway.

I wouldn't sweat the glue, it won't interfere with the shave. Get yourself a Gem Pushbutton (cheap on ebay if you are patient) and use up your FHS-10s. You'll have a great razor.

You are right about the glue.
It does not interfere with the shave but loading them into the Core I have come way too close to cutting a finger or two.
I'm looking at all the old threads on these razors and the Schick's etc.
Funny when I first started back one blade shaving a few months ago I completely ignore these beautiful razors believing they were clunky odd balls and would not give a decent shave.
I have been looking at all the Gem's, Stars and Ever Ready s.
I'm looking at a Gem 1912 for less than $10
I don't think I can go wrong with that price although I'm not sure what kind of shave it gives.

I thought that I read that the Feathers won't work in a push button Gem
I will go back and see if I can find one that looks good and is cheap enough I won't mind taking a chance on it.

You are right about the glue.
It does not interfere with the shave but loading them into the Core I have come way too close to cutting a finger or two.
I'm looking at all the old threads on these razors and the Schick's etc.
Funny when I first started back one blade shaving a few months ago I completely ignore these beautiful razors believing they were clunky odd balls and would not give a decent shave.
I have been looking at all the Gem's, Stars and Ever Ready s.
I'm looking at a Gem 1912 for less than $10
I don't think I can go wrong with that price although I'm not sure what kind of shave it gives.

I thought that I read that the Feathers won't work in a push button Gem
I will go back and see if I can find one that looks good and is cheap enough I won't mind taking a chance on it.

It's the flip-top G-Bar/Featherweight/Contour II and the Micromatics that won't accept the FHS-10. I've used one in my PushButton with excellent results.

You won't be disappointed with a 1912.

I believe I have a complete collection of AutoStrop razors models, from A1 to VC4. My impression is that they were great alternatives to the man who was previously shaving with a straight razor. But they can't compete with modern razors -- or even those produced after 1946 -- for a close and comfortable shave. It's fun to use a retro razor like that, and I certainly enjoy mine. But I don't use them to get the best possible shave I can get.

Komboloi
That is disappointing news.
I have been looking for a razor that is better than my Gillette W-3 Super Speed TTO.
I will say nothing has beat it yet.
My RR Hawk came close but the head is too light.
I wish it was the same weight as the Ikon El Jefe.
I meant to mention that I am not a fan of the DE blades.
I like the SE blades because of the stiffness.

Salty
I hope you are right about the Gem 1912.
I went back and forth over getting another razor.
I don't have a collection like some members do.
In reality I am not a hobbyist.
I only want one razor.
All the razors I have so far have come from pursuit of that razor.
This is what I got.
It's dirty and butttt ugly but maybe it will work.

Gem Safety Razor Pat. 1912 | eBay

Funny you should mention this.
I was just talking to my sister and she said that she had one of my dad's old razors.
I've got it cooking right now.
I use very hot water... around198% Fahrenheit with water, Mr Clean and a good squirt or two of Miracle II Soap.

IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2819.JPG

The FHS-10 with a spine added fits just as perfect as a GEM blade in the G bar and Featherweight, but I didn't quite like the way it fit in the Push button with the spine.

Without the spine added, the FHS-10 fit better in the Push button than in the G bar and Featherweight, but the fitment in the PB still wasn't good for me. It definitely fit tighter in the PB though.

@Komboloi

Received my VC4 today and it is simply a modern marvel! The way the razor is made and comes together is amazing. It's loaded and ready for tomorrow's shave. I will post a review after. I dry shaved a few short strokes, seems to be one of my new found super shaving powers, and it feels find. Not looking for it to knock the G bar off it's throne, but it looks like a good shaver. The weight of the razor is right where I like it.

IMAG0216_1.jpg

I have been looking for a razor that is better than my Gillette W-3 Super Speed TTO.
I will say nothing has beat it yet.

I prefer the NDC TTO's and postwar Tech over the later TTO's by a lot! My '48 Aristocrat that's weighs around 67 grams ruled over all...until the G bar took over.

The G bar handle took some getting use to and it now wears the crown. Economy wise, the Aristocrat still rules. The G bar has the same smooth feel but seems to be slightly more efficient. I like the Push button also, it's a little lighter than the G bar and the only reason it doesn't wear the crown.

I definitely like the GEM blade over the SE blade in performance and economics.

Last edited:
The best part about those Valets and Autostrops (in my view) is the complex construction. They are just amazing little pieces of machinery. Little hinges, rolling wheels, and cogs here and there. I don't need a perfect BBS shave every day. Even in the world of Lexus, a 1938 LaSalle will always be cool, because there is more to driving than efficiency.

The best part about those Valets and Autostrops (in my view) is the complex construction. They are just amazing little pieces of machinery. Little hinges, rolling wheels, and cogs here and there. I don't need a perfect BBS shave every day. Even in the world of Lexus, a 1938 LaSalle will always be cool, because there is more to driving than efficiency.

+1 to that.

Even if you never intend to shave with one, owning a Valet Auto Strop is a joy in and of itself!

That is a beautiful piece of art for sure.
I am just not sure I would be ok with shaving with it.
Heck I just got around to thinking the 1912's will be acceptable to my face.
That took some doing in it's self.
That's only because I am not use to having that much mass in my hand.
But I am coming around and warming up to the idea.
I think the lather catchers are beautiful too.

Top Bottom