What's new

G.B.S. Roanite Long Handle Art Deco Weirdness Set

This weird and beautiful set just arrived:
proxy.php

It's made in Scotland of Roanoid (a relative of bakelite) and Waite's dates it at c.1936 but doesn't have much else to say about it.
proxy.php

The set has two razor heads and two handles one of which is six inches long, giving the whole thing a weird dreamlike feel (at least to me!)
There's a similar set on ilrasoio with literature explaining that the super long handle works like an artist's brush, improving manouverability and reducing shaving time by 40% - bizarre and the grandest grande handle I've ever seen.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Also included are two elegant white roanoid bladeholders and 24 truly pristine NOS blades: GBS Super Blade and John Watts Gleaner which is barrel holed and Wardonia compatible.
proxy.php

proxy.php

And the blurb inside the G.B.S. blade wrapper suggests that they've gone the Wardonia route with the geometry too - big blade gap and intelligent guard.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am so excited about this set it reminds me of when I very first started wetshaving!!

Will this be the world's best shave as the blade wrapper claims?
Possible but unlikely.

Will I be using those immaculate NOS blades?
You know it :)
proxy.php

Hello,

I see a battle with my Wardonias on the horizon! It's making its way across the pond.

Cheers
John

1977 GBS & Gillette Tech Long Handle DE Safety Razors Set | Made in England

...That was the description for a set of two razors I just ordered from Razor Emporium. The white bakelite GBS razor looks just like Marcus's (the best I could make out), but comes with only the ridiculously long handle. Where "1977" comes from I'm not sure.

Now I'm wondering if most regular (three piece) de handles will fit the GBS...

Hello,
Yes see below. If handle diameter is interferes with fit because of ring that is on bottom of baseplate install a couple of stainless washers (see Stirling).

Hope you like the razor. It's one of my favorites in the Bakelite family.

Cheers
John

Razorock bamboo.
IMG_0211.JPG

Gillette vintage.
IMG_0213.JPG

Stirling Dallas handle
IMG_0214.JPG

Ikon handle
IMG_0215.JPG

Well, John, that answers the question handsomely! Thanks very much, and I might consider getting the razorock bamboo handle.

I like that handle. Nice and "grippy" especially when I shave my head.
Italian Barber has it for $12.99 or $19.99 with a slant head.
Is that RAD I hear.........?

Cheers
John

I like that handle. Nice and "grippy" especially when I shave my head.
Italian Barber has it for $12.99 or $19.99 with a slant head.
Is that RAD I hear.........?

Cheers
John
Only HAD, I guess, if I don't get the slant head. But then again there's the GBS that's already coming...

Top Bottom