What's new

FYI - Peppermint Oil

I recently started using one drop (dont use anymore) of peppermint oil to the entire shaved area (face/neck/head). Feel so wonderful. Has a nice cooling sensation that last around 10-15 minutes without any redness or irritation. If you try it, first test it on your arm or neck to see how you like the sensation. Do not get near your eyes - be very careful.

interesting! however that's potent stuff!

i simply like the AOS peppermint shave cream!

proxy.php

The other alternative that is not as strong is eucalyptus oil. No issues if it gets near the eye but the cooling sensation lasts about 2 minutes or so. Has a nice sweet smell to. My wifey suggested using with shea butter as an all natural route.

The other alternative that is not as strong is eucalyptus oil. No issues if it gets near the eye but the cooling sensation lasts about 2 minutes or so. Has a nice sweet smell to. My wifey suggested using with shea butter as an all natural route.

this might be ok for your skin, but i'd be real cautious about suggesting it for folks in general.
i've got a few vials of eo's and each is super-powerful.
offering them 100% for facial use is not something, personally, i'd do.
rather, i'd suggest always, always cutting them with some other carrier.

Peppermint is an essential oil that can cause a skin reaction in people who become sensitized to it. If you are going to use it, it should be in a dilute concentration.

Citrus and tea tree oils are others that people commonly have a reaction to. The reaction can take some time to develop.

I agree - so I just do one drop for my skin issue. I did a test on my skin - arm/neck before applying it around. I couple it with shea butter or some other lotion as well.

Peppermint is an essential oil that can cause a skin reaction in people who become sensitized to it. If you are going to use it, it should be in a dilute concentration.

Citrus and tea tree oils are others that people commonly have a reaction to. The reaction can take some time to develop.

does this mean that sensitivity increases with use over time?

...yes, with improper use, it can create initial reaction problems and/or a longer term sensitivity in some people. Some eos can cause phytotoxicity. Then a bad rash can break out after sun exposure. This is not a comfortable condition. Can take days to subside.

the use of eos should be preceded with educating oneself on their proper and safe use Especially if pets and small children are around you.

does this mean that sensitivity increases with use over time?
The whole subject of skin reactions is quite complex, but one type of reaction is allergic contact dermatitis. For the rare susceptible person, their own immune system has been trained to see the foreign substance as a threat.

Risk of developing a sensitivity goes up with:
  • increased concentration
  • frequency of exposure
  • duration of exposure
Once a person has developed an allergic contact sensitivity, they will have it for the rest of their life.

Until I ran out I would use peppermint oil (1-2 drops) mixed in with my lather. It's a great cooling sensation! If you couple that with cold water rinses of your razor so the razor gets cold it amplifies the feeling. If you finish off with a cold water rinse of the face you really get a face freeze!

The whole subject of skin reactions is quite complex, but one type of reaction is allergic contact dermatitis. For the rare susceptible person, their own immune system has been trained to see the foreign substance as a threat.

Risk of developing a sensitivity goes up with:
  • increased concentration
  • frequency of exposure
  • duration of exposure
Once a person has developed an allergic contact sensitivity, they will have it for the rest of their life.

thanks, which i take to mean, "generally, yes".

thanks, which i take to mean, "generally, yes".
Not exactly. Getting allergic contact dermatitis is a multi-step process. First, the person must have a tendency to get allergies of this kind. Second, be exposed to the substance in high enough concentration for a long enough time often enough. Then, that person may show an allergic reaction when exposed to the substance later on. So, allergic sensitivity is developed over time, yes, but it takes more than simple exposure.

Not exactly. Getting allergic contact dermatitis is a multi-step process. First, the person must have a tendency to get allergies of this kind. Second, be exposed to the substance in high enough concentration for a long enough time often enough. Then, that person may show an allergic reaction when exposed to the substance later on. So, allergic sensitivity is developed over time, yes, but it takes more than simple exposure.

all true.
but didn't you state that "the risk increases..."?
often the sensitivity to the allergen is not known until after there has been a reaction, no?
remember, i'm not a medical person!

all true.
but didn't you state that "the risk increases..."?
often the sensitivity to the allergen is not known until after there has been a reaction, no?
remember, i'm not a medical person!
Fair enough, it's not a sure thing that a reaction will develop, but it's more likely with increased exposure.

I believe menthol crystals are made from peppermint. Adding those to a liquid/aftershave-base may be a safer way to deliver to coldness? I have a spray bottle with a mix of alcohol, witch hazel, glycerin, and dissolved menthol. It's a great unscented aftershave that can 'freeze' my face in the best way.

Top Bottom