What's new

Fuzzy-Wuzzy

I'd like to grow a winter beard. It's heavy in the places it does grow, but comes in patchy on the cheeks near the circle beard area. Because of that and the fact that I think i'd miss my razors, I haven't grown it out or anything really(nothing that lasted but a few days). Plus I got a new job, and have yet to grow any beard out there...kinda self conscious about it so the easiest thing for me has been to just avoid facial hair all together. You guys think I should grow it out anyway?

I'd like to grow a winter beard. It's heavy in the places it does grow, but comes in patchy on the cheeks near the circle beard area. Because of that and the fact that I think i'd miss my razors, I haven't grown it out or anything really(nothing that lasted but a few days). Plus I got a new job, and have yet to grow any beard out there...kinda self conscious about it so the easiest thing for me has been to just avoid facial hair all together. You guys think I should grow it out anyway?

I say the only way to know is to be patient and try.

Also, keep this in mind:

$enhanced-buzz-13416-1338481254-16.jpg

Lol I look more like the first picture minus a few patches near the goatee when mines all grown out. I think I will grow it out. It's been a few years since I've grow a true beard out. It's certainly thicker than what it used to be.

I wouldn't really call my beard patchy, but I do have a few spots I have to be carful of when trimming. Mostly it is right where the mustache joins the goatee. I get nice coverage by letting the mustache grow a little longer on the edges. When I was in my twenties I just trimmed it so they didn't connect but around 30 I started to be able to let it grow there. I also have a spot along the jaw I have to watch out for, or it looks like I chopped into the line. With careful trimming I've gotten away with keeping at least some version of a beard for almost 20 years, and even get the occasional complements on it. When it is in full February or early March glory you would never know that it is thin there at all. Actually you would never notice year round, because I know where they are and how to deal with them. If I do mess it up I just change it up a little. Just give it a shot and learn where your trouble spots are and figure out how to work around them.

Last edited:
Some years back, I was in the habit of doing that. My problem is that I'm so OCD about its appearance I would fuss over its grooming and trimming, wanting it to be perfect every day. I'd tire of the upkeep, and shave it off. In January one year, February the next. Not a smart move here in Pittsburgh. :blink:

I am well into my winter beard, started late in August. I started it to cover a few stress related sores on my chin and upper neck. I do love using my shaving gear, which is my 1961 Slim Aristocrat. I just use in on my head now.

Dale

Started mine Oct 1 also. Coming in nicely. I have been trimming the neck a bit as it gets SUPER itchy. I started out trimming my cheeks too but decided against it as I work outside and want all the extra face warmth I can get. I have done it in the past too but usually end up shaving it off as when I put a neck warmer up over my face it get itchy and unbearable. I'm in mid to northern Wisconsin and I am hoping I can keep it going this year. I can't let it grow to long though, by order of LOTH.

I sport a beard year round, though I un-officially started letting it grow longer/thicker a few weeks ago. By un-officially, I mean that I forgot to trim it for a bit. Now I'm intentionally not trimming it to see how long it takes SWMBO to notice and comment. :)

Just curious, what do yall do about the "moustache" portion when growing out your beard. Should I just trim it back so it doesn't grow over the lips? I also may need to invest in a pair of scissors, as there are a few unkempt whiskers that try to stand out for everyone to see. Most of them don't bug me....but those pesky grey ones do!

Not everyone can grow a beard. [MENTION=103162]Razorburn92[/MENTION], you're better off clean shaven if it doesn't grow in right. It's not a flattering look otherwise.

[MENTION=75206]ByMyBeard[/MENTION], I always trimmed the mustache of my beard with electric beard trimmers. I suppose you could wax that to the side, that's a fashion choice, but it's no fun eating your own mustache when it grows below your lip.

Last edited:
Not everyone can grow a beard. @Razorburn92, you're better off clean shaven if it doesn't grow in right. It's not a flattering look otherwise.

@ByMyBeard, I always trimmed the mustache of my beard with electric beard trimmers. I suppose you could wax that to the side, that's a fashion choice, but it's no fun eating your own mustache when it grows below your lip.

I can grow a beard, it just take about 2 months for it to all come together and look okay. But because I have monster growth where it does grow, the patchy areas really stand out. I can also get away with a beard that's styled, but I haven't done that look in awhile. I am growing my circle beard out now.

From a previous post of mine:

Come on guys. Isn't it enough that they make you pick up your socks off the floor? That they don't let you rebuild the carbuerator on the coffee table, nor find the subtle nuances of fine cinema such as Terminator, Mad Max, 300, or even Dumb and Dumber acceptable as entertainment fare.

So, what can you do? Talking back will get you in trouble for sure. Logic is likewise useless...Forget reasoning...

So, one day you find you haven't shaved for four days, that's happened before....Then it stretches to 5-6....a full week without a shave...She may start to be suspicious, but just assumes you are being a lazy good for nothing, as per usual.

Then one day in week two will come the question "What's the deal with your whiskers? Are you growing a beard or something?"

Thats the first gut check.

You may have enough testosterone to grow a beard, but do you have enough to tell your wife that is exactly what you intend to do?

Well, do ya?

Then comes the twin pronged forks of Hades: for a while you will be in no man's land: you are scruffy, but not really bearded yet. You look like a bum. And it itches.....You long for the feel of crisp steel gliding across your cheeks leaving behind BBS goodness....At the same time your wife will be reminding you of how old it makes you look, "You not really growing a beard, are you?", assertions that you are probably having some sort of mid life crisis......

My reply: "It's just a beard"

Just a beard, true enough. Yet for all your manliness in your life so far have you ever actually gone and grown a beard? Are you going to spend your limited days on this spinning globe circling the sun and never have a go at growing a beard?

Really, if its something you want to try, go right ahead. It takes a remarkable amount of will power to actually do it.

“You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion.”
G K Chesterton

And about SWMBO: the funny thing is, there really isn't any justification on their side why you or I shouldn't actually grow a beard. Deep down we know we should pick up our socks, work on the carburetor out in the garage etc....But growing a beard is truly personal, and nobody else's decision but your own. She may bark about it for awhile, but eventually, if you tough it out, a new serenity pervades. A new feeling emerges...Not only are you now bearded, but you have mounted the palisades and fired a shot back in the name of Mankind. In the age of Dr. Phil et al and "getting in touch with your feminine side", you have slowly, quietly, day by day built a sign in neon upon your visage that undoubtedly proclaims "I am a Man, dammit!" The way it has been proclaimed since time immemorial.

Went to my barber today and had my cheek and neck lines established. I am tremendously pleased with the results and nice taper created. If you have a barber you trust, I highly recommend it. Now I can comfortably maintain the lines and continue to enjoy my shaving products. This was the first time I had a barber groom my beard.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I started my winter beard October 11th. I always start it at the end of our annual fall festival, and shave it off around St. Patrick's Day. That gets me through the coldest part of winter, and gives me enough time to grow an impressive beard, while still giving me most of the year to shave. Here I am last Saturday, one day shy of four weeks of beard.

$12195925_10208129038845720_265645008284436484_n.jpg

Top Bottom