What's new

Futuristic look this Option Five Razor, but it works. My Take.

Finally got around to putting this razor through a few shaves. I've had it for a couple weeks and just wanted to put a couple thoughts out there on it and how it actually performed.
First off, it does have that "Lost in Space" look to it. "Danger, Danger" if I might say. But it holds very well in the hands, good weight and balance from top to bottom. Fit and finish is quite nice as well. Push button mechanism works as it should in releasing the top plate as to insert and remove the blade.
Shave wise I was pleasantly surprised on the efficiency and smoothness of the shave itself. Was not too mild at all, sort of in between a 2 to 2.5 on a Merkur Futur or Progress, for me at least. I tried it with 2 different blades, a Kai and a Crystal blade. Razor worked nicely with both, but I got a much better and smoother shave with the Kai versus the Crystal. I thought I would have an issue with it during shaving, because it's so smooth feeling, I imagined that once it got wet and soap all over it, it would be tough to hold. Not only did it not slip, but somehow it felt a little grippier once it got wet. Not a single issue with it slipping, so a plus there. Clean up was simple, no problems with rinsing out soap and hair. All in all a very nice shaver. I would not hesitate in recommending this razor to a newcomer to wet shaving or the seasoned vet either. Mild enough to start your DE journey, and still give you an efficient and smooth shave for those that think it won't be aggressive enough for those tough beards and stuble. 2 thumbs up for me Gents....:thumbup1::thumbup1:

A couple pic's for those who haven't seen one of these razors yet:

$20170108_154338.jpg
$20170108_154228.jpg
$20170108_154233.jpg
$20170108_154306.jpg
$20170108_154320.jpg

I also was pleasantly surprised by how well the Option Five shaves. It reminds me of the Merkur Futur with great audio feedback and smooth shaves but very efficient at mowing down whiskers. It's shape is a bit odd but different can be good. Very interesting design, based on the originally plastic inscape razor. www.optionfive.ch

I also was pleasantly surprised by how well the Option Five shaves. It reminds me of the Merkur Futur with great audio feedback and smooth shaves but very efficient at mowing down whiskers. It's shape is a bit odd but different can be good. Very interesting design, based on the originally plastic inscape razor. www.optionfive.ch
Yes, it does have very good feedback. And, you don't really have to be perfect with technique, it won't gouge you if your a little loose or careless. And yes it is a little awkward, design wise. But it does what it was intended to do, and that is give a good close and efficient shave. And don't mind TobyC, he's just artistically challenged and enviously jealous...... :laugh: Lol...

Interesting razor, and not a bad price. Nice to see some different ideas out there. If I wasn't doing the sabbatical, I might consider trying it.

Cool looking razor - it's got a similar silhouette to a lot of the carts on the markey
It could be ideal for somebody who is switching from cart to DE

I get pretty good results with a Futur set somewhere around 2 to 3 and, IMO, the Option 5 shaves just as well or better. For comfort & closeness the O5 might have a slight edge. I am a lot more comfortable changing blades with the O5, and the mechanics seem durable enough. I have had no problem in gripping it while shaving.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the O5 better. The design seems more up to date to me. The Futur seems more like a futuristic design from a couple of decades ago. I like my Futur, I just feel that I like the O5 better. If you have beard & skin which support a higher setting than 3, I would certainly think you would be happier with a Futur. They're both quality pieces.

Ron I

Last edited:
I get pretty good results with a Futur set somewhere around 2 to 3 and, IMO, the Option 5 shaves just as well or better. For comfort & closeness the O5 might have a slight edge. I am a lot more comfortable changing blades with the O5, and the mechanics seem durable enough. I have had no problem in gripping it while shaving.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the O5 better. The design seems more up to date to me. The Futur seems more like a futuristic design from a couple of decades ago. I like my Futur, I just feel that I like the O5 better. If you have beard & skin which support a higher setting than 3, I would certainly think you would be happier with a Futur. They're both quality pieces.

Ron I

What he said. :thumbup1:

Ron I

I can't disagree with you on how comfortable it shaves compared to a Futur, it is vey smooth and efficient with the right blade. But, I would still prefer my Futur over the Option5 because I favor a very aggressive shave. When I use my Futur, it's always set somewhere between 4-5, and I get an awesome shave. 2 passes and I'm done, BBS every time. And yes, I also agree that it is much easier to change the blade on the O5 compared to changing a blade on the Futur. So far, those that have tried it have said only good things about it. Let's see, maybe change is good?? :thumbup:

Top Bottom