What's new

Future "in-law"?

Okay. Based on Art's "Anniversary" post, and so that Mark's forum will have a little traffic, I'm looking for suggestions. My daughter (21, pre-med in college), called me tonight. Seems I am meeting "someone special" (24 and pre-law) tomorrow night. She is the oldest of 5, and the only one I still call "my baby". Yes, she is special! SO, do I greet "someone special" with "Hi, it's nice to meet you" or "I love my daughter and your life means nothing"!

Yeah, a bit tongue in cheek, but I have never met a possible "son-n-law" before. Anyone with experience in this? Or, should I just have the shotgun ready?

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Okay. Based on Art's "Anniversary" post, and so that Mark's forum will have a little traffic, I'm looking for suggestions. My daughter (21, pre-med in college), called me tonight. Seems I am meeting "someone special" (24 and pre-law) tomorrow night. She is the oldest of 5, and the only one I still call "my baby". Yes, she is special! SO, do I greet "someone special" with "Hi, it's nice to meet you" or "I love my daughter and your life means nothing"!

Yeah, a bit tongue in cheek, but I have never met a possible "son-n-law" before. Anyone with experience in this? Or, should I just have the shotgun ready?

Randy

Congratulations Randy! Sounds like you really can't go wrong, she is pre-med and he is pre-law, they both must be doing something right. As long as his last name isn't Focker!! But seriously, be yourself and you can't go wrong. If it's "Hi, it's nice to meet you" or "Hey bud, you want a beer" I think you will be okay. As long as you don't start doing shots!!

Maybe you could introduce him to DE shaving and see what he's really made of!!

Maybe you could introduce him to DE shaving and see what he's really made of!!

Screw that! IF I really want to test his mettle, we will go directly to the straights!

Randy

Randy, good luck. Just let your winning personality shine. Ask questions about his upbringing and family. Put him at ease and have a great time.

I think he'll have more pressure on him. All you have to do is just be natural and be yourself.

P.S. Let him know off the bat that you can be his best friend or his worst nightmare. :biggrin:

roughrider said:
I think he'll have more pressure on him. All you have to do is just be natural and be yourself.

P.S. Let him know off the bat that you can be his best friend or his worst nightmare. :biggrin:

Randy

I think this is true...but I would show him your straights and tell them how sharp and well honed they are.....

or you could introduce your daughter to me...after you and I like the same things....we would get along great....

I could come over on Sundays, talk about shaving, watch football, drink your beer and whiskey, eat your food and CALL YOU "DAD"....

sleep on that thought tonight !!!!

your "buddy" and maybe future son-in-law,

Mark the shoeshine boy..

name our kids...Kiwi, Esquire, Fiebing, and Cordovan

It's important to have the 'ol double barrel polished just right to add ambiance and enhance the decor. :wink2:

Randy,
Having just been on the opposite end of meeting my girlfriend's father, I can tell you that he will be more nervous than you are. You already have the love and affection of your daughter, she is bringing him home to get approval on the boyfriend from you. Just be yourself and it will make the whole transition alot smoother. Just try to find some common ground and the rest will take care of itself.
On a different path you could try this approach: Go up to the man and shake his hand. As you are shaking his hand, wrinkle his knuckles and then repeat, "Feel all those bones in your hand." The guy should say yes, and then you reply with "Good. If you ever hurt my daughter, I will break every one of them." :a6: Then offer him a drink :a54:. That should leave a lasting impression.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This was really more tongue-in-cheek, but I was curious about other opinions. The young man is very nice. I have complete confidence in my daughter's choices and decisions. No engagement announcements have been made, but I knew this was special since she has never made the effort to bring someone over for me to meet.

Randy

Top Bottom