What's new

futur vs slant vs progress

Which of the three is the most aggressive and reliable? Looking for something that will give me a closer shave than my merkur hd

It's funny you have the Futur and the Slant in here. I actually use both for my everyday razors now. I'd say the Futur is more aggressive than the Slant, but that's only if you have it cranked up past 3 or 4. The Slant is a wonderful choice. It gives me BBS every single time. I would 100% suggest a Slant.

Now, the Progress? I can't give info on that one. Sorry. Although, I'd assume it'd be along the lines of the Futur, just not as heavy.

does anyone know what setting on the futur would equal the hd? no point in me getting the futur or slan if it isnt more aggressive than the hd

Last edited:
B

BrightFutur

With my Futur dialed past 6, I feel like I'm shaving with more of a disposable-blade straight razor than a safety razor.

does anyone know what setting on the futur would equal the hd? no point in me getting the futur or slan if it isnt more aggressive than the hd

I'd say 1 1/2 would be equal to an HD. My 37c delivers a completely different shave than my HD, (BETTER) :biggrin:. However, I've heard other members state repeatedly that there the same.
YMMV

I have a slant and progress, no future (but a Vision). The futur is on the way.

The progress is more aggressive than the slant since it can be dialed-up. The slant is roughly equal to a 2 on the progress. The slant is aggressive in a very different way however. The blade angle makes a more effective cut, but it is not nearly as close as a tuned up progress.

FWIW, the Vision is the most aggressive that I have tried from Merkur. But it is a hunk of crap and I wouldn't waste your money. Google issues with the Vision and you will see what I mean.

So far the Mergress is my favorite Merkur. Solid build, adjustable, great shaver.

so theres no point in getting a slant than if you have a futur?

which is more aggressive, the futur or progress?

i'm looking for something that is way more aggressive than the hd, it takes me 5 passes or more to achieve a bbs shave

so theres no point in getting a slant than if you have a futur?

which is more aggressive, the futur or progress?

i'm looking for something that is way more aggressive than the hd, it takes me 5 passes or more to achieve a bbs shave

One trick on the HD is to open the razor 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn on the final pass. That tends to make it more aggressive, somewhere between a Slant and an HD.

Aggressiveness on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most)

Vision (Open all the way) - 10
Progress (Open all the way) - 9
Progress (2.5) - 5
Slant - 4
Progress (2) - 4
Progress (1.5) - 3
HD - 3
Progress (1) - 2

Aren't the adjustment numbers on the Progress different for almost every razor? By that I mean that a 1 on someone's Progress might be a 1.5 on someone else's, etc.

J

Jarmo P

Aren't the adjustment numbers on the Progress different for almost every razor? By that I mean that a 1 on someone's Progress might be a 1.5 on someone else's, etc.
There is no need to calibrate it. There is a screw adjustment, so if you open the razor one number from the current closing reading, it will be a 2 setting. Or if you open 2 numbers, it will be at setting 3, etc. You can even close the razor cap 180 degree "wrong" if you want and it does not really matter at all.

Progress is easily the mildest razor of those adjustables in question.

argh, i might pull the trigger and get the futur and slant :(

maybe the progress if they ever replace the plastic part, not trying to drop $100 on a mergress

Last edited:
argh, i might pull the trigger and get the futur and slant :(

maybe the progress if they ever replace the plastic part

You could get a Slant and the Futur from the BST without totally going broke, I'm sure of it. As for the Progress' plastic part? Well, you can get it converted into a Mergress if you wanted. It looks a lot better, but maybe the fact that it's an after market add-on (like a spoiler!!?:w00t:) is just too much?

I'll say this much, if you get the Slant and Futur, you'll get some fantastic shaves day in and day out. Guaranteed or your money back!*

*claim cannot be substantiated by JimBow, all legal problems must be dealt with through customer service

I don't know anyone that shaves daily with the Futur set to 6. Somewhere on its number range you will find what you like.

And actually, I start off more aggressive, and tone it down the closer and closer I shave.

I hear slants are great, but hey... they lack one thing the Futur/Progress has... adjustment.

Top Bottom