What's new

Futur v Progress (Mergress)

I love the look of the Mergress and am considering picking one up. I already love the functionality of my Futur, but don't want to sacrifice the functionality of it for the look of the Mergress. SO.....

How do they compare? I have heard the progress might have some consistency issues with its settings.

Thoughts gents?

(I can't justify holding on to both and I don't want to buy the Mergress unless there is a good chance I will love it.)

Not sure if I can help much since I don't own a Futur, but i've been using a Mergress for almost 3 months now and it's fantastic. Mer did a great job on the conversion and I don't see any adjustment issues with it. I have the long handle version and find the weight, balance and size to be perfect for my face. As with all adjustables the ability to "dial in" the exact amount of blade exposure is a bid plus. Wil be interested to see what Futur owners say.

I've had two progresses (one was a mergress) and haven't had any issues with the settings - they both stopped right at '1'.

I've used a futur for years and recently got a long progress again. I will say it's easier to use and more manueverable than the futur. But the gap on the progress at the highest setting is about the same as the futur on its lowest so it is less aggressive. It gives an easy smooth shave though. I have some difficult spots that I can't seem to get totally smooth with the progress that I can with the futur but I still enjoy using it.

Having used both, I prefer the Futur when shaving, but the Mergress looks better to me.
A Futur with the looks of the Mergress would be great, LOL!!
But, for pure shaving- Futur

I don't have the Mergress, but I have a Progress and a Futur. As far as blade setting consistency of the Progress, the gap is consistent for a given setting, for a given Progress, it is just that the gap can be variable between DIFFERENT Progress razors set at the same setting. Also, you change the blade by opening the adjustment knob, so it must be reset with every blade change. I like the Futur better, because I like the larger blade gaps available with the Futur (although the RANGE of blade gap is much greater for the Progress). Another difference I have noticed between the Progress and the Futur is the blade angle. The edge of the blade appears to be bent farther toward the handle in the Progress. The Futur's blade appears to be slightly less bent.

I love the look of the Mergress and am considering picking one up. I already love the functionality of my Futur, but don't want to sacrifice the functionality of it for the look of the Mergress. SO.....

How do they compare? I have heard the progress might have some consistency issues with its settings.

Thoughts gents?

(I can't justify holding on to both and I don't want to buy the Mergress unless there is a good chance I will love it.)

I have a Progress and a Futur (and also a VISION) and love them all. I never understood the appeal of the Mergress. Granted the settings on a Progress may be relative but once you dial the thing all the way down and then move up the scale, you'll get what you need.

--james

All are excellent razors. I currently have two Mergresses (one XL) and sold off my Futur. The Futur was fine. However, my only complaint about the Futur is that I found it difficult to shave my mustache area because the head area is so big.

Thanks guys! I DO like how aggressive I can get my Futur for mowing down thick stubble.

I have been using the Futur for a couple of months now and is my first DE razor. I must say, I am smitten with it and other than the Murkur travel razor, I can't see me using anything else. It together with Crystal blades, give me a fantastic shave day after day with the ability to 'go closer' on those special days with the blade adjustment.

It's only my personal opinion and through my limited experience, but you can't go wrong with a Futur.

Last edited:
The Futur was fine. However, my only complaint about the Futur is that I found it difficult to shave my mustache area because the head area is so big.

I felt (and said) the same, but I have to eat humble pie. When I dialled the Futur up from my normal 3 setting to 5 it really did do a better job of shaving under the nose. I suppose that is a workaround more than a fix, but if it was my only razor it wouldn't be a problem now.

Top Bottom