What's new

Futur or Vision

Okay, I'm hooked... Using the Merkur HD now, but want to move up to an adjustable. I'm trying to decide if my next order should be for the Futur or Vision. Can anyone whose used both give me some advice? Why should I spend an extra $50 on the Vision?

Funnily enough Austin is selling a Vision here.

I get on fine with both my Vision and my Futur but with hindsight I would go for a vintage adjustable Gillette.

Try the Progress or a Gillette Fat Boy adjustable instead. Cheaper and probably a better razor (IMO, of course).

Dennis

rusirius said:
Okay, I'm hooked... Using the Merkur HD now, but want to move up to an adjustable. I'm trying to decide if my next order should be for the Futur or Vision. Can anyone whose used both give me some advice? Why should I spend an extra $50 on the Vision?
RE: "Why should I spend an extra $50 on the Vision?" 'Cause it's the grown boys Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring! Ooops, and by the way, it does produce a great shave once you have mastered it. I always complain about how tough it is for me to get a clean shave around the openings of my nostrils with a VISION and not as hard with a Futur. Well, I had not used my VISION for a month or more and just started using it for the last couple of weeks with blades of varying qualities. The VISION is an amazing tool. I was able, through the eploitation of its superb adjustability and monumental mass, to get really good to great shaves with some blades that just would not cut it in lesser razors. (PUN intended). Oddly enough, I did not find it as difficult to get at the whiskers emanating from around the nostrils as I used to. (Perhaps my nose is shrinking? Must not be telling any lies.:laugh: ) I also like the FUTUR. I think it is the razor for everyone that needs to shave daily, whether a Newby or Ol' Hand.
I think Andrew (AUSTIN) has his gently used VISION for sale including S&H for far less than a $100. If it is cost-effective phone bill-wise, you may wish to call Charles of QED at (401) 433-4045 and discuss the plusses and minuses of each razor. He is certain to provide an objective view of their relative merits.

Jonnybc said:
Funnily enough Austin is selling a Vision here.

I get on fine with both my Vision and my Futur but with hindsight I would go for a vintage adjustable Gillette.
Hi John,
I have the vintage ('58) Gillette adjustable too. It is not half the razor the VISION is. While I can get a good shave with one, the shaves just don't have the longevity of a shave with the VISION, nor is the Gillette as capable of doing well with a broad range of blade qualities as the VISION. Obviously this is just my humble opinion, based on limited life experience.:wink2:

guenron said:
Hi John,
I have the vintage ('58) Gillette adjustable too. It is not half the razor the VISION is. While I can get a good shave with one, the shaves just don't have the longevity of a shave with the VISION, nor is the Gillette as capable of doing well with a broad range of blade qualities as the VISION. Obviously this is just my humble opinion, based on limited life experience.:wink2:

Hi Ron
Oddly enough I get my best shave from a red tipped gillette superspeed, I have around 15 razors now including all the main Merkur variants. The Vision is indoubtedly the best adjustable Murker make IMO, and with a practised hand I get excellent shaves, very steep learning curve though. I spent almost the entire month of August with the Superspeed and am almost tempted to use it ahead of an other razor, the poor old Futur never gets a look in any more even though I try to rotate the razors I use *** often as possible.

I cannot speak for the Future since I do not have one, but I do have the Vision and for me it gives a subperb shave as compared to the Gillettes or the Merkur HD. I have no problem with the heft of the razor and actually prefer it.

As with all things connected with shaving, YMMV. Having said that, I will say that the Vision delivers the very best shaves, equal to those I get from the Merkur Slant Head. IMHO, the Vision is a great razor. YMMV.

Leisureguy said:
As with all things connected with shaving, YMMV. Having said that, I will say that the Vision delivers the very best shaves, equal to those I get from the Merkur Slant Head. IMHO, the Vision is a great razor. YMMV.

I agree!

Jonnybc said:
Hi Ron
Oddly enough I get my best shave from a red tipped gillette superspeed, I have around 15 razors now including all the main Merkur variants. The Vision is indoubtedly the best adjustable Murker make IMO, and with a practised hand I get excellent shaves, very steep learning curve though. I spent almost the entire month of August with the Superspeed and am almost tempted to use it ahead of an other razor, the poor old Futur never gets a look in any more even though I try to rotate the razors I use *** often as possible.
Must be those BLOODY Tesco blades John!:lol:

I've been through a lot of razors: DE's and straights and have wasted a lot of money. The Vision is the best razor I have ever used. There is a learning curve on it- as there is for most every good thing. However, once you learn how to use this wonderful tool it will pay you back with superior shaves day in and day out. IMHO and YMMV

Thanks to everyone for their advice... After reading as much information as I could find, and listening to the comments posted here, I now have Austin's Vision on it's way! Thanks again to everyone!

Now you have to tell us how it works out for you. I use Feathers in it, BTW, but YMMV. So when you tell us how it works for you, also tell us which blade(s) you're using in it.

I'm using feathers in my HD at the moment. Started with Merkur's but got much better performance from the feathers. I'll probably try feathers in the vision first, but I'll have to try a few different types just to make sure... :biggrin:

I'm going through my own blade testing now. Feather blades are still the clear leader for me, followed by Derby, then Israeli, and I'm giving away the Merkurs.

I've never used a Vision, but the Futur gives me the best shave I've ever gotten. No learning curve either, from day 1 it has kicked *** ;)

Unfortunately, these type of questions are impossible to answer definitively... you are just going to have to give in to temptation and get both. You can always sell the one you like the least.

The VISION was my first DE razor and its always been my fave. Unfortunately its currently enroute to Germany and a replacement should be winging its way back over the next few weeks.

In the interim I've been shaving with my HD with very good results--but, for me, the shaves just don't last as long as the VISION's do. Can't wait till my VISION returns. . .:biggrin:

Personally i think the future is excellent and gives great shaves. I have never tried the vision, looks a bit too big for me. Why should you spend another 50 dollars, i suppose that is up to you. There are other razors which are adjustable which are cheaper and could give you that special shave tha you are after.
Trial and error experimenting is the best way to find out what is suited to you.
Good luck.

Top Bottom