What's new

Futur or Mergress, which new adjustable should I get?

Hello fellow B&B'ers I'm sorta stuck on picking an adjustable. I'd prefer new so vintage gilletes are off the table. Chrome futur or Mergress, I've heard great things about both and am stuck. Im currently using an HD if that helps. Please give some advice as it is sorely needed.

Thanks all,
JW

I have a Futur and have been very pleased with the results. I like the heavy feel in that it's easy for me to let the razor do the work - no pressure. If I were to purchase another, I think I would go with the brushed finish rather than the chrome which I have now. I don't think soap film would show up as much with the brushed.

I highly recommend the Futur.

proxy.php

Great razor!!

So far the futur is my favorite razor. I wish I had gotten gold rather than satin. Wow its beautiful! :w00t:

I love the solid feel of it, and its aggressiveness. Yet way more forgiving then you would think. Its hard for me to explain :lol:

I have a Futur and have been very pleased with the results. I like the heavy feel in that it's easy for me to let the razor do the work - no pressure. If I were to purchase another, I think I would go with the brushed finish rather than the chrome which I have now. I don't think soap film would show up as much with the brushed.

I agree that I like the heavy feel of the Futur for the same reasons. Thing about the Futur that gets to me is when adjusting. Be very careful and take it slow and easy.

I have never used a Progress or Mergress but the Futur is a shaving machine if there ever was one. I have the polished chrome. Love the gold though. I have never had any soap scum accumulate on mine.

The head geometry on the HD is closer to that of the Progress/Mergress than to the Futur. If you enjoy the shaves with the HD, that's something to keep in mind. I have a Progress and find it to be a great razor. I'd get the long-handled Mergress in a second if I didn't already have an EJ Chatsworth Lined and a 38C. Personally, I don't find adjustability that much of a necessity for me, so it's hard to justify plunking down $110 for it when I've already got such excellent fixed-head razors. But it sure is a slick looking razor, and it would easily be my first choice if I were to get another adjustable. For the record, I've not used a Futur. I have a Vision, but I found I liked the older head geometry of the classic designs, so I stopped my AD there.

I have a Mergress and it's my favorite razor. I have no desire for a Futur because of the smooth handle. And for me, the look of the Futur is too... futuristic. I've heard others say they dislike the Mergress's handle, but I find it easy to work with. I also like a heavy razor and I think the Mergress fits that bill just fine. Not as heavy as some, but just right for me.

The Futur, (mines salin finish) has got to be my favorite. I also use a 37c and chatsworth in my rotation.
The Futur pretty much stays on 3 all the time. :biggrin:

After starting off years ago with a regular Progress and eventually moving to Progresses w/ and w/o cooncat bob upgrades, and a regular and extended mergress as well as the chrome & matte futurs I find that, for me, the futurs offer a smoother shave and more control with a wider blade assortment than the progresses seem to.

I'll always keep the Mers and Progresses in my inventory, but if I had to keep only one adjustable I'd probably keep the Future and switch between it and a slant.

Last edited:
I hate the progress. Ive always wondered how so many people could like such a flawed razor. That being said.... lots of other people do like it. The mergress fixes some of the issues, too.

I've never tried a futur but ive always wanted to. A little expensive for me though, Ive never spent more than $50 for a razor.

I know you said you dont want to go vintage, but I would recommend buying a gillette slim adjustable. They can be found in excellent condition for 20-30 dollars (sometimes even less, I got a great one for $11) and to me they make the HD seem almost crude.

The Futur was my first razor and I got my start wetshaving with just that.
I currently have a Mergress and I get great shaves with it too.
I don't think you can really go wrong, but if I had to give an edge I would say go with the Futur.

My Issues with the Progress

1. It takes longer to open, load, and close than my classic, and the process is more annoying than it should be. I personally dont like the twist action either.
2. There are Blade exposure problems on some. Ive tried two of them. The first had the most uneven blade exposure ever - one side could be like a carrot peeler while the other side was mild. The second was even when loaded slowly and with care, but it required more attention than it should.
3. Why on earth is there only one correct cap orientation? Thats just dumb. Im sure there is a better way.
4. Having the TTO knob also function as the aggressiveness setting (imho) is inferior to the fatboy/vision setup with separate knobs.
5. The aggressiveness settings should be consistent from razor to razor, and it shouldnt be so finicky to correctly line the dot up with the 1 to begin.

While none of these issues were by any means insurmountable for me, the progress generally felt like a hastle. Compare it to a gillette adjustable where twist twist, click click, twist twist, gets the blade changed and proper setting dialed effortlessly in under 3 seconds.

Im sticking with my SS, Slim, and Aristocrat.

Last edited:
That just sounds like good German engineering to me: unique, odd, extra user attention required, and wildly different adjustments for the same performance. The exposure problem is bit out of character, but probably nothing a brilliant and overpriced mechanic can't fix. :wink:

That just sounds like good German engineering to me: unique, odd, extra user attention required, and wildly different adjustments for the same performance. The exposure problem is bit out of character, but probably nothing a brilliant and overpriced mechanic can't fix. :wink:

Wow... that is so true! :001_tongu

I have neither, but when I was shopping, I was impressed with the weight, feel, and overall quality of the Progress (minus the plastic knob). The Futur felt a bit cheap and sketchy to me. I don't mean to offend those who love their Futurs, but to me the adjustment wasn't as smooth as I would expect and it didn't feel worth the price.

A Progress with a cooncatbob custom handle/knob conversion is probably going to be my next razor purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom