What's new

Futur - Initial observations

I just received my new (to me) Futur, and am looking forward to shaving with it, but had some observations.

Build quality:

I know this has been discussed before, but I have some issues with this. This thing is not a Vision, but it's pretty bloody expensive, for having a very very simple mechanism. So I would expect near perfect fit and finish. As a result I am a little dissappointed in not finding that. For example, they did not bother to file off the mold like inside the drain slots in the guard plate. Not a big deal maybe, but still, I don't like mold lines.

More importantly, I have real issues with the fit of the actual mechanism. For those who don't have one, or haven't looked, the adjustment works by a screw mechanism that lifts or lowers the blade holding part of the head relative to the guard plate. These are prevented from rotating by a tongue on each end of the head that fits into a wide slot on the guard plate. Problem is, there is at least a 0.5mm, probably closer to 1mm side to side play between the tongue and slot!!!!!?!?!?!? This kind of excessive tolerance seems pretty unacceptable to me. The result is that the blade can be rotated up to that much out of alignment with the guard, effectively give considerable more exposure on one end than the other. I have heard these issues do not effect the shave, but to me it is still just not cool.

Look and Feel:

I have to admit, I kind of really like the way this thing looks. I love the retro look of all my vintage Gillettes, and even 40s Injector, and this is probably the visual opposite of a brass and bakelite injector. Still, I do like the simple lines.

As for feel, I like the way the handle fits in the hand. This thing gets a lot of grief for not having grip. Which I can see. Real judgment on this will have to wait until I get some Honeybee lather on it, but my initial impression is that this won't be a problem because of where it asks to be held. I have been mostly using Kyle Grip (tip of the handle lately). With this though, it seems to demand to be held just where the narrow flares out into the wide, which seems like it would give decent grip and control. Experimenting without a blade, holding at the tip would not work because the weight of the razor would apply WAY too much pressure.

Speaking of WEIGHT, this thing is HEAVY. Very heavy. I like heavy, and often wish some of my vintage razors were heavier. But honestly, I wonder if this is too heavy, given the pressure issue mentioned above.

Blade gap:

Wide open, all I can say is, wow, that's a lot of exposure. Doesn't really worry me, but interesting. Seems like at that point the guard is superfulous.

Which brings me to ask: Has anyone ever truly taken the guard out of the picture by tweaking this to the 7-12 range? I kind of have a theory that for someone with really good technique, the guard serves no function, as with light pressure, and the angle usually suggested, it should never actually touch the face anyway. Of course, this would make tweeking the guard out of the way pointless as well....

Please - whoever else just got a Futur and is going "COOL, a way to be EVEN MORE AGGRESSIVE," don't go doing this. I don't want to encourage stupidity, just curious if anyone had already tried it.

...and I can't believe you didn't mention how you change the blade. :thumbdown

Good synopsis - I never shaved with mine wide open.

Dennis

Actually, changing the blade I had an initial negative reaction to, but after examining it, did not mind any more. It is easy to pop off, and easy to pop back on. My only concern was that it might not be secure enough. After examining it, it seems to be quite a firm grip. I am a little concerned that it may lead to more vibration, though, not being as tight as a screwdown connection. This is compounded by the fact that the support of the underside of the blade is so far removed from the edge.

One thing I do object to, though, that results from the way the blade is changed, is the width of the head. Because popping off the head requires the head to extend over the ends of the blade, the head of the razor ends up sticking out over 1/4 inch passed the end of the cutting edgle. I still can't figure out how I am going to get all the way up under my nose, since I can usually just barely get it clean using the tip of a Gillette at a kind of sideways angle.

If you're disappointed by the build quality on the Futur, you'd be really upset over a Vision. At least the Vision has a proper loading system, but that's it.

Mike02 said:
...and I can't believe you didn't mention how you change the blade. :thumbdown
Dennis

Ya know, I keep hearing about how difficult and dangerous it is to change the blade in a Futur.. If one reads the directions (push up from the side with your thumb) its a very safe and simple operation.
If someone feels this is dangerous I really don't think you should be messing around with any sharp implements, let alone razor blades.:biggrin:

J_P_K said:
Ya know, I keep hearing about how difficult and dangerous it is to change the blade in a Futur.. If one reads the directions (push up from the side with your thumb) its a very safe and simple operation.
If someone feels this is dangerous I really don't think you should be messing around with any sharp implements, let alone razor blades.:biggrin:

Note I did not say it was difficult or dangerous. I commented on the mechanism which I feel is one of the stupidest engineering designs on a razor that I have seen.

Dennis

One definite advantage about changing the blade in the Futur over the Progress is that the adjustment setting does not move. Every time I changed the blade in my Progress it seemed like the setting was different, even when set to the same number. I did not notice this problem with the Futur.

J_P_K said:

I DEFINITELY agree there.... But that doesn't really defeat Dennis points about it being questionable engineering, although I don't necessarily agree with them.

I like my Futur, but I have a seriously difficult time getting it under my nose. Do you guys have a technique for this?

mparker762 said:
If you're disappointed by the build quality on the Futur, you'd be really upset over a Vision. At least the Vision has a proper loading system, but that's it.

Then on the other hand, he may be pleased with the Vision. Everyone has their own preference. I have no problem with the Vision, quality or otherwise and it give me the best shave of all and that is what I like. But that is for me, not for everyone.

I like my Futur, but I have a seriously difficult time getting it under my nose. Do you guys have a technique for this?

Yes, the easiest way I found is to either stretch the upper lip out with your free hand and then shave or roll your lip over your top teeth (sounds gross and doesn't look too appealing, but, you're shaving, in your bathroom). I found this works the best for me, but YMMV.

As an aside. I haven't used any other razor then the Futur, but I definately appreciate the simplicity of the blade loading mechanism. My only worry is that maybe 10~15 years down the line, the snaps will start to wear down and the head will come loose, but that's pure speculation.

moses said:
I DEFINITELY agree there.... But that doesn't really defeat Dennis points about it being questionable engineering, although I don't necessarily agree with them.
Not being an engineer I really can't comment on that aspect of the razor. I find it functional and elegantly simple. I find that appealing.

J_P_K said:
I find it functional and elegantly simple.

Well, most engineers do consider that the epitome of good engineering. I am kinda on the fence on this one. I guess YMMV on what is functional and elegantly simple as well as everything else....

With the Futur, I stretch my lip and come in at an angle on each side. Next pass is just sideways (either nose to cheek or cheek to nose, depending on my mood). Final pass is against the grain.

zohar said:

I don't have a futur, but I do have a Gillette adjustable where I have a similar difficulty. YMMV with this, however, try making a "pouty-sad face" and pushing up the tip of your nose (as if you were going to make a pig face) and shave in a S-N (against grain for me) direction. I make at least three passes (relathering each time). The key here, I find, is to adjust the angle of the head against your face on each pass, such that the blade starts far away and gets closer as you finish (thereby "whittling" the hair down). It does not take much of an adjustment in angle (you feel it more than you see it), and may actually feel as if you are pulling the hair on the first couple of passes.

In the end, I often find that the area under my nose gets a better shave than anywhere else on my face! :biggrin:

I've been using my Futur for a couple of weeks and am really liking it. Funny though, I haven't noticed any quality issues with it at all. The fit and finish is excellent and everything is is nice and tight without any slop at all.

But then, I'm new to quality razors and the Futur is the nicest one I've ever owned so maybe I just don't know any better. :tongue:

The Futur is my favorite razor, and I shave with it wide open. Best. shaves. ever. Although that narrowing of the handle begs for you to hold it there, don't. Hold it nearer the end like any other DE and you will be rewarded. This forces you to use no pressure, and is easier to get the angle right. I assure you, any pressure with this beast and you will get razor burn like nothing else. Treated with respect, howver, there is no finer shave. IMO, of course.

Interesting. Scotto, I think my main reason for wanting to hold at the narrowing was actually to keep pressure off. At that point, the balance is still toward the head. Holding at the base seemed like the weight of the razor would result in too much pressure. Do you support it to keep some of the weight off your face, or allow the razor weight to apply the pressure, and just make sure not to add any extra?

I think some "negative pressure" is in order. This is what worked for me, as usual you may find something else that works for you better. When I held it by the depression, I found myself using it more like a scraper, which is clearly a bad thing. Try both and see which you like.

Top Bottom