What's new

Futur clone Ming Shi 2000S

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I didn't either, and paid more to get it on ebay via PP.

Maggard has the thing now, according to yesterday's e-mail.

AA

I'm going to continue experimenting with it to see if I can find a "sweet spot" that works for me, but so far I'm not finding it to be the Holy Grail of shaving...

I think nobody here believes the Ming Shi to be the holy grail. It is undeniable that at its price tag it is very difficult if not impossible to find a better razor

More notes on the Mingshi:

Play in the razor cap is more pronounced at setting #6, at #1 there's barely any movement at all. Also, as others observed, it's kind of fussy when loading, easy to get uneven blade seating.

First shave with the Mingshi 2000s this morning on 24 hours stubble.

Lather was Proraso green whipped up with an Omega 10049. I haven't used Proraso in quite a while and the Omega boar brush had super rich lather ready to go from my hammered Turkish lather bowl in no time flat.

Blade was a brand new Gillette Silver Blue (decided I would try the included Mingshi blades at some other time). Without a reference point for setting, I arbitrarily chose 3 and because it was only 24 hours worth, I would complete a two pass plus touch up shave at that setting.

Overall I was fairly impressed. On setting 3 I had good efficiency and had no problem feeling the blade, yet it was by no means harsh or aggressive. It made short work of my trouble spots and I have a super smooth finish on the neck.

No problem holding on to the razor. Initially I was concerned about the smooth handle when fingers are wet, but so long as it's just water and not soap, I had no problems.

What would I knock about it? Nothing that wouldn't also apply to its costlier German version, the Futur as well. It takes a bit of getting used to when wielding a razor that encloses the ends of the blade. It doesn't have that sleek, "drag racer" handling characteristic of a razor like the Gillette ball end Old Type.

But what it does do is give you the ability to dial up or down the level of exposure/efficiency of the blade you're using, and in typical Futur style, does so with a high degree of smoothness, all while coming to you at a really great price point. Definitely a keeper!

proxy.php

I don't feel like giving my credit card info to Aliexpress.

I've had probably a dozen transactions through Aliexpress and have experienced no problems at all. The way they operate is that their vendors don't get paid until you either report that the item is received or after a certain amount of time has elapsed, and if the item hasn't been received you can extend this time period. Their dispute resolution works well as I had to use it twice on items which didn't arrive and I did get my money back.

Their parent company is listed on the NYSE. Alibaba Group - Wikipedia

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I just finished a week (well, six shaves) with the Ming Shi blades, and all has been very well. I used them in a tri-slot Tech and got nothing but great shaves.

Going back to the Ming Shi 2000S tomorrow, probably with the Ming Shi blades!

AA

From what I can gather, the patent on the Futur ran out some time ago.
It's Merkur's own fault here. As Gillette did in 1921 what Merkur should have done in 2005 when I believe its initial patent expired, is to address some of the Merkur's design and engineering issues and secure a new patent for a New Improved Futur. They didn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It's Merkur's own fault here. As Gillette did in 1921 what Merkur should have done in 2005 when I believe its initial patent expired, is to address some of the Merkur's design and engineering issues and secure a new patent for a New Improved Futur. They didn't.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the status of Gillette's adjustable-related patents?

I wonder if they'd have thought differently had the patent ran out during the past few years, what with the huge uptake and popularity of wet shaving we've all seen.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had my first shave with the qshave this morning. loaded a new voskhod blade and cella soap. i shaved on setting 2. the blade was perfectly aligned but the two edges were totally different. one side was comfortable and efficient but the other side didn't cut at all. i tried playing with angle but it was not cutting at all. i completed the shave with the one edge only.
I didn't want to shave on higher setting since it was my first shave with adjustable razor. it is dissapointing that the two edges are so different and one is literally useless.

I wonder if the blade shifted while loading. Try loading it backward....drop the blade onto the cap and press the razor down onto it.

I have the Qshave model. First tried it on the least aggressive setting, but at around 30 degree angle and had irritation. Tried it again and kept the angle to the absolute minimum and zero irritation--i.e. much better. For now, the minimum (.5) setting works for me. I like the #2 setting on the Slim Adjustable and the minimum setting on the Futur clone seems to be about the same for me.

Top Bottom